Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejecting my brand new model 3 Highland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morale of the story is do not become a beta tester for any car co. Second year or later models only, let them iron out the bugs on pensioner's wallets, not yours.
Model 3 has been out for a long time. This is a refresh that actually fixes and improves a lot of issues with the earlier car. Of course doesn’t mean new issues won’t be introduced but getting a mid lifecycle car for most traditional OEM’s is normally pretty safe when they’ve been on the market for 3 - 5 years already normally.

Same issue with my M3H LR .. vibrations at the speeds as described in this thread. Car went back for service 4x already. Tire replacements, road force balancing, none helped
What's next? I will probably have to go see a lawyer...

Do you have new tires on the car now? In my case they just tried with different set and said it was even worse.

Last edited:
So there's lots of people that say it's not the tyres and lots also that seem to say it is. I think last I saw going theory is cars left underinflated for a long time while being transported is causing flat spots which then causes the vibration.

So when Tesla are putting on new tyres, are they really new tyres or they are just taking them off a demo highland or such which might have the same issues?

I think issue is more broadband than just tires. And that is the main problem. As issues exist in parallel and might overlap or not. There are people who swapped tires and wheels with no avail.
It seems too common for sure, what surprises me is no one seems to know what it is and if Tesla does, they aren't passing that information to their Service Centres as they all seem to not know what it might be either.

You'd think Tesla has people with the knowledge that once they see this will know pretty much straight away what the issue is. They need to get one of them in one of these cars and get to the bottom of it quickly.

It seems too common for sure, what surprises me is no one seems to know what it is and if Tesla does, they aren't passing that information to their Service Centres as they all seem to not know what it might be either.

You'd think Tesla has people with the knowledge that once they see this will know pretty much straight away what the issue is. They need to get one of them in one of these cars and get to the bottom of it quickly.
Is it primarily europe or is it a known problem in other markets as well? I’m curious…

Is it primarily europe or is it a known problem in other markets as well? I’m curious…
That I don't know.

I had thought with the issues around shipping the routes from China will be longer now so they could be sitting and not moving for longer than before, damaging their tyres which are under inflated for shipping. Model Y other than UK though think it's changing is built in Germany but Models 3's all come from China which is a long trip by boat.

I assume shipping times in the US are far shorter so won't be under inflated for as long. Also do they use the same tyres? Even if the same brand, are they made in the same factory?

Also with highland they changed the tyres and also they have noise cancelling foam in them now also. Can be a cause of vibrations if it comes partially loose or water logged.

A lot of possible different moving parts, the fact it's not all cars or some don't have them with winter wheels for instance but then do with official ones still makes me feel it's a wheel / tyre problem. It's probably not as forgiving as the pre-face lift though in suspension which also is maybe a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
Model 3 has been out for a long time. This is a refresh that actually fixes and improves a lot of issues with the earlier car. Of course doesn’t mean new issues won’t be introduced but getting a mid lifecycle car for most traditional OEM’s is normally pretty safe when they’ve been on the market for 3 - 5 years already normally.
Correct, but we are talking a brand new suspension and many other upgrades.

Correct, but we are talking a brand new suspension and many other upgrades.
Yeah, my point was an LCI of a car is normally fixing a lot of the issues they originally had with the car along with giving it a lick of paint to keep it fresh. Hence you are normally much safer buying an LCI / refresh car than a brand new one that's just hit the market.

Always could be issues but I think anyone buying a Highland it wouldn't have been unreasonable for them to think it would have less issues than the original cars and with a good amount of improvements.

What's next? I will probably have to go see a lawyer...
Planning on doing the same. The service center states that there is nothing they can do, until they receive other information on this issue from higher up the Tesla chain

Do you have new tires on the car now? In my case they just tried with different set and said it was even worse.
New tires indeed. No difference though.

Planning on doing the same. The service center states that there is nothing they can do, until they receive other information on this issue from higher up the Tesla chain
They aren't denying that there's a problem though hopefully but simply that they don't know what it is or how to fix it at the moment?

I see you are from Netherlands so maybe law is a bit different but I think in UK the law is technically on your side but having just rejected a Lotus Eletre R I can tell you they will make it extremely hard. Just because the law says something, doesn't mean they'll follow the law as they know in most cases you won't take them to court which is the only place they'd have their hand forced.

Consumer Rights Act 2015 - Advice based on cars

Tesla really just needs to say "Hey we know about this issue, we are working on finding a solution" so at least their Service Centres aren't in the dark. Assuming that doesn't take too long then that could give people more confidence to hold on because it's in hand.

Goes without saying that if the issue is on the other car then I will definitely be returning that too but have to say I loved the 2022 M3LR and the new one was much better and loved driving it but hopefully it will be ok and if not then I think it will have to be the BMW i4. Also on the German forum it looks like that it could have something to do with the drive unit or drive shafts but at the moment the investigation is in the early stages. The thing is the problems are with any variant of the 2024 and because not everyone is reporting a problem it could be a small batch that has these issues.
I agree with checking the tire run-out and the wheel-run out.....they will individually and combined cause the vibrations you are experiencing......get Tesla to mount new wheels......you could enemy try 20" wheels and tires.....good luck

The German TFF forum tries to do an inventory of M3 Highland cars affected by the issue. If your car is affected, please ad some details to this Google spreadsheet:

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
I think issue is more broadband than just tires. And that is the main problem. As issues exist in parallel and might overlap or not. There are people who swapped tires and wheels with no avail.

After reading this thread, and all balancing options exhausted, including road force and different tires/wheels, I almost have to wonder if Tesla got a batch of bad CV Half shafts.
I have seen this with re-manned replacements causing vibration due to either balance and /or poor machining of the CV/ ball bearing matching which leads to a tight spot in the rotation at angle therefore inducing a vibration transmitted through the steering rack to steering wheel. Not common, but have experienced it a couple times.

Clicking noises at low speeds is also possibly a defective CV 1/2 shaft sound especially if it is more pronounced during a left or right turn..

Goes without saying that if the issue is on the other car then I will definitely be returning that too but have to say I loved the 2022 M3LR and the new one was much better and loved driving it but hopefully it will be ok and if not then I think it will have to be the BMW i4. Also on the German forum it looks like that it could have something to do with the drive unit or drive shafts but at the moment the investigation is in the early stages. The thing is the problems are with any variant of the 2024 and because not everyone is reporting a problem it could be a small batch that has these issues.
How did you get a 14 day window to reject the car? We can't even drive the car before accepting delivery.