Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Tesla Model 3 with 109000 miles on it. Insurance and Warranty after Tesla's is no more?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I found a 2022 Tesla Model 3 with 109,000 miles on it. Since it is 9,000 miles past the Tesla warranty, Would I want to get the Tesla insurance? or would it be better to go through someone else like Allstate or something? Also, for peace of mind, I would want an extended warranty. I spoke with a Tesla rep, and he stated that the warranty is only valid if I purchase my Tesla from Tesla, not any other dealership; he also said that the only extended warranty to get on a used Tesla is the one included when purchasing through Tesla there is not another one to buy. I saw that @XCare offers an extended warranty, but they don't mention whether it has to be purchased from Tesla.

Any help with this would be a great help,
I am hoping to purchase by the end of this week.

You would need to contact xcare to see if they would sell you a warranty on that vehicle. I am betting the answer is either "no" or "not for any price that would make even a remote amount of sense".

With the relative inexpensiveness of brand new ones, I cant see this type of purchase making much sense, unless it was a second or third car (and the extended warranty desire seems to speak to me that its not a 2nd or third vehicle).

There has to be a better used model 3 than that you can find.

Reactions: afadeev and KJD
Hello,
I found a 2022 Tesla Model 3 with 109,000 miles on it. Since it is 9,000 miles past the Tesla warranty, Would I want to get the Tesla insurance? or would it be better to go through someone else like Allstate or something? Also, for peace of mind, I would want an extended warranty. I spoke with a Tesla rep, and he stated that the warranty is only valid if I purchase my Tesla from Tesla, not any other dealership; he also said that the only extended warranty to get on a used Tesla is the one included when purchasing through Tesla there is not another one to buy. I saw that @XCare offers an extended warranty, but they don't mention whether it has to be purchased from Tesla.

Any help with this would be a great help,
I am hoping to purchase by the end of this week.
For auto insurance look elsewhere. Tesla insurance isn’t cheap and they don’t handle claims very well.

I use Autoclub for insurance and have for 18 years, the prices were very competitive and when it renewed the price on the Tesla went down 20%.

I did shop before I renewed, only USAA beat Autoclub.

Reactions: afadeev
Hello,
I found a 2022 Tesla Model 3 with 109,000 miles on it. Since it is 9,000 miles past the Tesla warranty, Would I want to get the Tesla insurance? or would it be better to go through someone else like Allstate or something? Also, for peace of mind, I would want an extended warranty.
If you are a type of a person who values factory and extended warranties, you REALLY should not be looking into 100+K mile cars.

No, there will not be a factory warranty on that car.
No, Tesla will not sell you extended warranty (they do make an offer right before 50K factory warranty runs out, and that's that).
3rd party extended warranties are, mostly, a rip-off.

New Model 3's are cheap, and getting cheaper. Last quarter's Tesla deliveries were abysmal and inventory is getting bloated, so expect more price cuts.
Buy new, or better yet, lease them. That makes rapid depreciation a Tesla problem!

HTH,
a

There are also plenty of other BEV choices, some you could probably get for the same $ but with remaining warranties.

There are also numerous negative experiences w/Tesla insurance posted here like these:

Unless you can SELF-FUND expensive repairs I'd pass on a pre-owned EV no longer under manufacturer warranty. But that's just how I think.

Looking at the Tesla Pre-Owned site, they are selling pre-owned Teslas a greatly reduced prices and all are under warranty. I saw an M3 LR with 19" wheels, FSD, and PB for $39K this past weekend as an example. I thought of buying it to use as our ROAD CAR and using it as a future trade should Tesla offer an FSD transfer in the future. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

There are also plenty of other BEV choices, some you could probably get for the same $ but with remaining warranties.

There are also numerous negative experiences w/Tesla insurance posted here like these:
The first one would have been the exact same experience with other insurers, and the last ones from 2019-2020 aren't really relevant, since they sound like they're from when Tesla Insurance was starting to establish presence in the state.

If you own a Tesla, you *need* great rental vehicle coverage. $900, heck $1,500 won't cut it for any kind of body work.

The first one would have been the exact same experience with other insurers, and the last ones from 2019-2020 aren't really relevant, since they sound like they're from when Tesla Insurance was starting to establish presence in the state.
Doesn't seem like they're any good from posts like these:

OP can browse thru more recent posts at Insurance for a flavor. I've not heard good things about them and/or who they actually use at my work either.