Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I've been loving this feature, but I was just told by my SC that having this loaded, even in the background, is data-heavy and it could affect your GPS accuracy and even HVAC systems. They recommended to not use it all the time. Hence it may be why my GPS is often off by 2-20 miles or my heater sometimes doesn't work. (Waze was in the background, my main screens are usually Media/GPS.)

Is that possible?

Hey guys,

I've been loving this feature, but I was just told by my SC that having this loaded, even in the background, is data-heavy and it could affect your GPS accuracy and even HVAC systems. They recommended to not use it all the time. Hence it may be why my GPS is often off by 2-20 miles or my heater sometimes doesn't work. (Waze was in the background, my main screens are usually Media/GPS.)

Is that possible?

Were they speaking of the car's GPS as reflected on the Tesla NAV screen, or the cars location as represented on the Waze for Tesla webpage?

I use it occasionally, and have never seen the car's NAV affected, nor heater issues. I've included some stints of having it running for an hour or more.

Now I've seen the Waze page occasionally stop updating/refreshing correctly, but I assumed that was because of the rather laggardly response time of the car's browser... a refresh usually did the trick.

Hey guys,

Is that possible?

Doubt it, whenever I reopen my browser it always asks me if I want to allow waze to know my location. It times out fairly quickly.

Hey guys,

Is that possible?
Yes, it is possible that the heavy data communication of Waze and processing that data by the browser could leave other systems (NAV, HVAC, etc.) starved for computing and data resources.
However, I have Waze running all of the time (3G) and have never encountered any of these problems (20,000 miles).

Yes, it is possible that the heavy data communication of Waze and processing that data by the browser could leave other systems (NAV, HVAC, etc.) starved for computing and data resources.
However, I have Waze running all of the time (3G) and have never encountered any of these problems (20,000 miles).

That is no true. The Waze REST query returns only 30KB of data (a slacker song download is in the mega bytes of data). Along with that, Tesla browser limits poll intervals to every 30 seconds. The SC as no data to backup his assertions. The 7.0 release is pretty buggy and I had the center console reboot on it's own for no reason already.

Hey guys,

Is that possible?

Where in the world did they come up with this? If the micro couldn't process any communication from the GPS module for a period of 20 miles I'd eat my hat :)

More SC misinformation. The CID uses no processing to maintain HVAC functions. There is a separate ECU for this, and all the CID does is send temp and mode commands via the CAN bus and then the ECU monitors the temp sensors, makes adjustments, etc. There's no way a tied up CID will cause heat or A/C to fail.

Just an update.

With all the commotion over supercharger lines in CA during the holiday break, I thought it would be a natural fit to add
automatic supercharger tracking to the web service. You'll know that you've been detected at a supercharger if an additional button pops up
asking if you want to add additional info about the supercharger queue depth.

Hope you guys find it useful. Note that it only saves supercharger "hits" and otherwise no other data is retained. It also uses a session cookie to avoid duplicate counting.

Waze for Tesla Incidents

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 10.05.05 AM.png

Last edited:
isn't this feature now part of the upgraded nav found in 7.1?

ROOOFL. You think Tesla actually added something useful to the nav in 7.1?

AHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAHAAAAA

Sorry, back to reality. What they added was that if the SpC is down for maintenance, it'll show a different icon. It will not tell you how many cars are there.

ROOOFL. You think Tesla actually added something useful to the nav in 7.1?

AHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAHAAAAA

Sorry, back to reality. What they added was that if the SpC is down for maintenance, it'll show a different icon. It will not tell you how many cars are there.
ok, calm down, how would waze get the data needed to inform you of SC usage?

ok, calm down, how would waze get the data needed to inform you of SC usage?

Umn....

With all the commotion over supercharger lines in CA during the holiday break, I thought it would be a natural fit to add
automatic supercharger tracking to the web service. You'll know that you've been detected at a supercharger if an additional button pops up
asking if you want to add additional info about the supercharger queue depth.

ummm, that sounds like notification from each individual charging unit would need to provide date to waze or tesla, what you alluded to may or may not be feasible it certainly doesn't sound as if it would give a true representation of usage of a particular unit. I know that I don't often comment on plugshare or waze and I would guess that the percentage of users "checking" would very high.

ummm, that sounds like notification from each individual charging unit would need to provide date to waze or tesla

No. The OP who wrote the Waze plugin for Tesla, has your car location based on it's GPS. If your car is located within X feet from a Supercharger, the icon pops up and you can tell the SpC how many cars are there. Then the next person can see how many cars are there.

The OP's implementation is not real time, and dependent on crowd sourced data (OP, please correct me if I'm wrong)

what you alluded to

I didn't allude to anything, I think you misunderstood what the OP said.

may or may not be feasible it certainly doesn't sound as if it would give a true representation of usage of a particular unit. I know that I don't often comment on plugshare or waze and I would guess that the percentage of users "checking" would very high.

The only way to get accurate representation is if Tesla does it. Only Tesla has the data. And even then it would only be accurate at the specific point in time you look at it. Because you don't know how many cars are traveling to the Supercharger, or how long they're going to charge. Both of these numbers can be estimated with decent precision, but you will never get a perfect answer until all cars are autonomous.