Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have a tesla model three. I don't pay for WiFi but I have just discovered I can set my phone up as a mobile hotspot and connect the car. Exciting!
I would love to know what the best way to navigate is with online traffic updates.
Currently I just use Waze on my phone and ignore the map on the Tesla screen because its not hooked up to WiFi. But now I can tether, does that mean I get traffic updates on the Tesla navigation system?
Or is there a way of integrating waze or Google maps to the tesla system so that I am getting real time traffic updates along with the navigation?
Any help gratefully received, thank you.

I use Waze, as I think it has best traffic info, and police locations / accidents / roadworks etc. I also use Waze ability to send a "data packet" to the person I'm visiting so they can check on my ETA, and then I don't bother to have to call them etc. if I am delayed

I keep the map on (but muted), and just deal with when SatNav and Waze choose a different route ... SatNav will adjust if I follow Waze, and usually that's good enough.

Map useful for seeing local roads, and junctions in city centre and so on.

Reactions: Benjamin163
I think I know what you’re asking but your terminology could be cleaned up a bit. First, you don’t pay for WiFi connectivity with Tesla. WiFi connectivity comes standard with all Teslas and does not require a monthly payment. This is because WiFi is the channel through which software updates are delivered to your car.

I think the feature you’re referring to that you’re not paying for is called Premium Connectivity. All Teslas have Standard Connectivity which provides just enough data for your car to Navigate. Premium Connectivity provides several additional features including the Live Traffic Visualization feature that you want. The connection for Premium Connectivity is cellular, not WiFi.

This article explains Tesla's connectivity options: Connectivity | Tesla Support

Now, about your question of receiving traffic updates if you use a mobile hotspot to connect to the car. I think the answer is no, you would still need to pay for Tesla’s Premium Connectivity option to get live traffic updates on your navigation screen. I believe your car “knows” your connectivity plan and limits what you can see and do on the Nav display based on the connectivity plan you have, Standard or Premium. Also, I don’t know of a way to integrate Waze or Google into Tesla’s navigation system to get live traffic updates. I think Tesla has taken great care to lock down their system to prevent workarounds such as what you would like to do. There may be a hack out there to accomplish what you’re trying to do, but I’m not aware of any. I could be wrong, so if anyone else out there knows of a workaround, please chime in.

Edit: My perspective is from the U.S. but I assume Tesla has the same connectivity plans in Europe.

CleanShot 2023-04-08 at 07.37.50@2x.png

Last edited:
To be clear the feature is traffic visualisation, showing on the screen which roads are busy. The Tesla routing always considers up to date traffic conditions when proposing routes whether you have Premium Connectivity or not. Having a phone as a hot spot won't return the software feature.

Personally I don't like the types of roads Waze directs me down, prefer the Tesla navigation.

I use Waze, as I think it has best traffic info, and police locations / accidents / roadworks etc. I also use Waze ability to send a "data packet" to the person I'm visiting so they can check on my ETA, and then I don't bother to have to call them etc. if I am delayed

I keep the map on (but muted), and just deal with when SatNav and Waze choose a different route ... SatNav will adjust if I follow Waze, and usually that's good enough.

Map useful for seeing local roads, and junctions in city centre and so on.
I think I'm doing exactly what you do. I was hoping to somehow get it integrated into the screen but not sure it's possible. Thanks for the reply

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I think I know what you’re asking but your terminology could be cleaned up a bit. First, you don’t pay for WiFi connectivity with Tesla. WiFi connectivity comes standard with all Teslas and does not require a monthly payment. This is because WiFi is the channel through which software updates are delivered to your car.

I think the feature you’re referring to that you’re not paying for is called Premium Connectivity. All Teslas have Standard Connectivity which provides just enough data for your car to Navigate. Premium Connectivity provides several additional features including the Live Traffic Visualization feature that you want. The connection for Premium Connectivity is cellular, not WiFi.

This article explains Tesla's connectivity options: Connectivity | Tesla Support

Now, about your question of receiving traffic updates if you use a mobile hotspot to connect to the car. I think the answer is no, you would still need to pay for Tesla’s Premium Connectivity option to get live traffic updates on your navigation screen. I believe your car “knows” your connectivity plan and limits what you can see and do on the Nav display based on the connectivity plan you have, Standard or Premium. Also, I don’t know of a way to integrate Waze or Google into Tesla’s navigation system to get live traffic updates. I think Tesla has taken great care to lock down their system to prevent workarounds such as what you would like to do. There may be a hack out there to accomplish what you’re trying to do, but I’m not aware of any. I could be wrong, so if anyone else out there knows of a workaround, please chime in.

Edit: My perspective is from the U.S. but I assume Tesla has the same connectivity plans in Europe.

View attachment 926222
You're absolutely right, thank you. I guess I just need to decide whether premium connectivity is worth it for built in real time traffic data or if I just keep using waze on my phone and forego the on screen bit. Thank you for your helpful reply

To be clear the feature is traffic visualisation, showing on the screen which roads are busy. The Tesla routing always considers up to date traffic conditions when proposing routes whether you have Premium Connectivity or not. Having a phone as a hot spot won't return the software feature.

Personally I don't like the types of roads Waze directs me down, prefer the Tesla navigation.
So you're saying the screen gives me up to date traffic info although I'm not on Premium? I'm not sure I'm getting that service because the routes I get since I came off Premium always seem to default to 'shortest' rather than what might be right for the traffic. I've been on motorways that have advised me of complete closure in junctions ahead but the Tesla screen just keeps me going on the same route. Can that be right do you think?

All navigation route planning is done on Teslas servers irrespective of premium connectivity or not. On screen visuals is just that, visualisation and often 10-15 minutes out of date. That’s what premium connectivity gives you. But it is a useful confidence boost when you do get stuck in traffic or car reroutes you for some reason.

whether premium connectivity is worth it for built in real time traffic data

Premium connectivity shows "red lines" etc. on congested roads. Its handy if you are navigating manually to see what's busy nearby, and may be handy if you are familiar with the area and make decisions based on it, but personally I just let Waze choose the best route as it also has Roadworks / Police / Accident reports - they will become reflected in real time traffic display, of course, but if I am stationary on the motorway I find it easier to look at phone to see how long the holdup is, and what speed anything is moving at.

So, for me, Waze offers more detail, when I need it, and the rest of the time I let it just route me around any problems (and, yes, it does take me down residential streets when routing around traffic .... and I am unlikely to know if I have saved just a few seconds ... or hours)

But I've had Waze route me wrong-way-round-M25, because of severe traffic at Dartford crossing - and that clearly is a lot more miles / recharging - so helpful to know if its route is significantly longer :) I think EV route planning is announced as coming to Waze (or is already there - forgotten, sorry)

I don’t use premium connectivity and nav reroutes etc. there’s no advantage of premium connectivity for the nav, as others have said it just gives you visuals, and I’m pretty sure the visual traffic display isn’t the same source the sat nav uses which is why occasionally you get what appears to be the crazy situation where the map (using google data) shows a clear road, but the nav (using different traffic data) tries to avoid the area, or vice versa.

There is no utopia with any navigation system. I work on the principal if the nav get me there who cares if there was potentially a better route because I don't know for sure there was. I've tried many navigation systems and when used in areas I know well and without exception I know a shorter route - but the point being, If the area was totally new to me and the nav gets me there its achieved its objective.
I just use the built in Nav - as I have done with every car I've had, some were terrible like the Jaguar system, The Tesla system - Its OK, would like the 3D view but that's not an option.

I pay for premium - its only a tenner a month and for that you get so much more than just a better more detailed map - I pay more than that for a coffee bean subscription each month.
I only drive around 1500 to 2000 miles per year so its not like I maximise the benefit, I view it like i do heated seats - rare I ever engage them but nice to know they are there if i want them.

in areas I know well and without exception I know a shorter route

my view is that although I know that better route, I have no idea if that road is being dug up or some other blockage - and I assume that Waze (in my case) does. However, if I drive into town at rush hour Waze takes the rat run instead - but if it is e.g. half term / a bank holiday Monday I drive the main road and very likely I will find it empty ... but it might just as easily be closed and I wouldn't know until I got there :)

To be honest I find it a bit stingy on Tesla's part that they don't give live traffic visualization in Standard Connectivity. It's something I think most other brands give for free generally for at least first 3 years of ownership.

I do fully understand them not letting you stream videos of course without a subscription as that's data heavy.

Thank you for all these helpful answers. I'm still a bit confused.
So live traffic visualisation only comes with premium connectivity right?
And live traffic visualisation is different to navigation?
Does live traffic visualisation affect navigation? Ie if live traffic visualisation shows red lines ahead, does navigation then reroute to avoid it?

Does live traffic visualisation affect navigation? Ie if live traffic visualisation shows red lines ahead, does navigation then reroute to avoid it?

@MrBadger has covered it, but the two are not directly related. heavy traffic will cause SatNav to reroute you if there is a faster / better route (or, indeed, if the Supercharger you are heading for has a powercut :) )

But the visualisation of traffic is separate, and the two may come from different data sources, so it may not be obviously that any rerouting corresponds to the visualisations.

My view is that the visualisations are useful if you want to do-your-own-navigating, or curse about how long the jam is :) but if you are going to let SatNav re-routing optimise your route then Tesla / Waze / Google - take your pick I reckon

OK thank you for your thoughts on this.
It does beg the question, what's the point of Premium Connectivity?
Is all I'm getting a map overlay telling me about a traffic jam I'm headed straight for?
And spotify?
Can someone with PC give me the benefits? Also, if you have unlimited data then I'm wondering if simply hooking up the phone is the better optiion given you pay for that already.
Thoughts gratefully received.