Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation/connectivity issues - Model S MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post, as i generally only have a look around when experiancing issues i cannot resolve, however i am having no end of issues with my Model S navigation and connectivity. Firstly the map tiles fail to load, on both satellite view and standard map, then navigation wouldnt load, it would freeze on "Calulating Route", then when the navigation does work, it doesnt navigate with traffic information. Then Spotify pings in and out of usage, with the signal strength ranging from no signal, to 1 bar, and occasionally 4 bars but not often at all. Spotify seems to work when hotspotting off my phone, but mapping tiles still dont load. I have reset 3 times in the past 3 weeks, and the screen reset itself once a. I have a service issue raised with Tesla, but that was a week ago and still no luck with them sorting it. I have been updating them with resets and issues facing, but wondering if these issues have been experianced in the past and what could it be? I am lucky to have the extended warranty until 2026, so hopefully whatever the issue is it should be covered.

I’ve read that accumulating lots of navigation destinations can impact MCU performance, so try deleting some of that data. If you don’t mind configuring your settings again, you can try a factory reset to get rid of everything. If that doesn’t work, you probably need new hardware. You could consider upgrading to MCU2, but that wouldn’t be covered under warranty.

I’ve read that accumulating lots of navigation destinations can impact MCU performance, so try deleting some of that data. If you don’t mind configuring your settings again, you can try a factory reset to get rid of everything. If that doesn’t work, you probably need new hardware. You could consider upgrading to MCU2, but that wouldn’t be covered under warranty.
I only purchased the car (2018 model) in May, so had a fresh factory reset and we havent gone that many places, i wouldnt of expected it to be something like this. I'm not too fussed about the data so i could try the factory reset, but i want the service centre to do something about it as something isnt right here. If it is faulty hardware, they would have to cover that under warranty even if it is replaced with an MCU 1 right? not sure if they have stock of MCUs still? im not paying for an upgrade to fix faulty hardware that should be covered under warranty.

I only purchased the car (2018 model) in May, so had a fresh factory reset and we havent gone that many places, i wouldnt of expected it to be something like this. I'm not too fussed about the data so i could try the factory reset, but i want the service centre to do something about it as something isnt right here. If it is faulty hardware, they would have to cover that under warranty even if it is replaced with an MCU 1 right? not sure if they have stock of MCUs still? im not paying for an upgrade to fix faulty hardware that should be covered under warranty.
If the car was reset in May, that isn’t the issue. If the MCU is covered under warranty, I would expect they would replace it with another MCU1 at no cost. As other replies suggested, it might be worth upgrading to MCU2 even if you have to pay.

Had a call from the Tesla Service Center about the issue, and apparently its an issue with all S and X cars, with the connectivity when going in and out of poor singal. Apparently when you loose signal, and then move into an area where there is signal, something isnt working. they are working on firmware update to rectify this. Their fix was to continue to do two wheel resets, but where we live its poor signal everywhere so we will end up doing resets eveyr few days now. Not sure if this is an excuse and they arent willing to fix it, but a freind with an X has connectivity issues but his two wheel reset doesnt rectify the issue.

Reactions: hooky and philip295
Had a call from the Tesla Service Center about the issue, and apparently its an issue with all S and X cars, with the connectivity when going in and out of poor singal. Apparently when you loose signal, and then move into an area where there is signal, something isnt working. they are working on firmware update to rectify this. Their fix was to continue to do two wheel resets, but where we live its poor signal everywhere so we will end up doing resets eveyr few days now. Not sure if this is an excuse and they arent willing to fix it, but a freind with an X has connectivity issues but his two wheel reset doesnt rectify the issue.
Sorry to bounce onto an older thread, but I've been having similar issues with first my 2015 MS (which I sold a month or so ago) and the 2017 MX that I've replaced it with. Did this ever get resolved for you? Interestingly this has not affected either my wife's old MS (2015) or her newer one (2019) over the same time period.

My symptoms are identical, loss of connectivity, so will hotspot off my phone which gives me Spotify and allows map tiles to load, but no traffic showing, and after 6 years of being a Tesla owner this first world problem is niggling me!

Sorry to bounce onto an older thread, but I've been having similar issues with first my 2015 MS (which I sold a month or so ago) and the 2017 MX that I've replaced it with. Did this ever get resolved for you? Interestingly this has not affected either my wife's old MS (2015) or her newer one (2019) over the same time period.

My symptoms are identical, loss of connectivity, so will hotspot off my phone which gives me Spotify and allows map tiles to load, but no traffic showing, and after 6 years of being a Tesla owner this first world problem is niggling me!
Still having the same issues and no resolution yet. I have emailed Tesla customer service and they didn’t give an exact timeframe. With a car which is marketed around all the “connectivity” of the car, when you loose connectivity most of the features are useless. Not having app control is frustrating especially when charging somewhere. Need to continuously remember to two wheel reset all the time.

Reactions: philip295
Still having the same issues and no resolution yet. I have emailed Tesla customer service and they didn’t give an exact timeframe. With a car which is marketed around all the “connectivity” of the car, when you loose connectivity most of the features are useless. Not having app control is frustrating especially when charging somewhere. Need to continuously remember to two wheel reset all the time.
I'm having the same trouble RH drive, UK. On a journey, I lose Spotify, tune in and traffic. It's been happening for about three months.