Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Tesla: Model Y Performance šŸ˜®

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, took a test drive to help my friend get some referral points. Thought itā€™ll be a bit of fun, no intentions of buying.

24 hours later I placed the lease order and left my existing lease earlyā€¦ and here we are.

I test drove the LR, but really wanted the performance mostly for aesthetics. But also the performance aspect wouldnā€™t go a miss.

Few hiccups with the finance provider and Tesla, but managed to pick it up on Saturday. Did feel quite special, until I rocked up and what must be 1000 brand new Teslaā€™s behind a wall šŸ˜‚ but enjoyed the process and no faffing. Just a key card and off you go.

But Wow. Itā€™s certainly a step up from my 200bhp cupra formentor. Just everything about it feels soā€¦ convenient. Of course, some trade offs like the sensors, rear view camera guidelines arenā€™t great, apple car play. BUT, the rest is so wonderful.

I honestly think the white model of the performance model looks the best, itā€™s just a shame thereā€™s so many white Tesla Yā€™s Out there. Only seen one MYP though, but hard to spot to the untrained eye.

I really find the comfort more than acceptable, but I havenā€™t had any back seat passengers yet. Tyres are inflated to 43PSI too. Itā€™s more comfortable than my cupra anyways.

The acceleration is bonkers. Like, WTF. I really canā€™t help but launch it at every traffic light. I purposely slow down to hit red lights šŸ˜‚ and pray some boy racer next to me begins revving to be left for dust by a family SUV.

Itā€™s been a little tricky to not break the speed limit, it eats up the road. But I love that you can get the exhilarating feeling just by accelerating within the speed limits.

Iā€™ve managed to link Waze via Bluetooth and use it for Spotify so I get the speed camera alerts that way.

Anyways, chuffed. Got it for 2 years, but I can see Tesla being like an iPhone. Once you get to grips with it, you can never go back.

Well, going to try stay active and absorb information and learn more about the car and updates.

View attachment 1024229
highly recommended to protect the 21" ubers, buys and install the Teslaunch rim protectors
take wide turns to avoid curbing, even with the protection on
Tesla can do the mobile service of side to side rotations, back and front, every 6500 miles
if you are fast on the acceleration, expect tire replacement frequently, goes with the high torque territory
careful with being in sport mode as its insane, especially in reverse, backing up to a supercharger, could crash
with 20s children still around, I pin the speed limit, putting the MYP in chill mode
when I need a fix, I put it in sport mode
šŸ‘¹

Reactions: covacure
How easy was it to add Waze, getting my MYP next Tuesday and Waze would be a big loss
Not really. Like you, not having Apple Play and WAZE was a major loss. Problem caused by one of many disputes Musk has with other tech companies, itā€™s so childish. There are ways to run WAZE in a Tesla, but they are not clean. I gave up and put my phone sideways on the console charger running WAZE there.

Not really. Like you, not having Apple Play and WAZE was a major loss. Problem caused by one of many disputes Musk has with other tech companies, itā€™s so childish. There are ways to run WAZE in a Tesla, but they are not clean. I gave up and put my phone sideways on the console charger running WAZE there.
I might just have to get a phone holder for beside the screen and use it that way. Itā€™s so handy just for the road issues here in Cork as the road to work constantly floods in the winter and the alert is brilliant.

I might just have to get a phone holder for beside the screen and use it that way. Itā€™s so handy just for the road issues here in Cork as the road to work constantly floods in the winter and the alert is brilliant.
I drive to a lot of different clients, on average 50 miles one way in Los Angeles traffic with both WAZE and Teslaā€™s NAV running. Last year Tesla would route in into terrible traffic conditions, know issues being broadcast on the radio. Seemed to take a lot longer for Tesla to know about an issue. No surprise, drivers can interact with WAZE reporting accidents and the like.

Recently Iā€™ve recently noticed some improvement, more often than not Tesla NAV is routing me the same as WAZE.

getting my MYP next Tuesday and Waze would be a big loss

I have my route in Tesla SatNav on MUTE (so I can look at a big map) and route also in Waze on phone "down there" (with volume up) for spoken directions. Frequently they agree on the route.

I sometimes have to resolve when Waze wants a different route (like last night ... Waze set off South, when the way home is North. I assume I had put wrong destination in, headed North ... and pulled over after a bit to check. It was quite clear (in Waze) that there were significant night-time road closures on my normal route (unbeknownst to Tesla SatNav - I do have the subscription) so I turned round and went South.

That is SO rare I put up with it. Sometimes Waze says "Turn LEFT" when Tesla is showing RIGHT, but when I know the area and know that either/either is just a choice based on Traffic I go with Waze and let Tesla SatNav "catch up" after a few yards ...

Waze is better for traffic (I think) ... but ... I've had it route me long-way-around-M25 when QE II bridge busy and that would have entailed a refuelling stop ... which Waze knows nothing about (or didn't "back then") so, for me, I still think I need "both" and then up to me to make an informed decision

If it was CarPlay presumably I would just be using Waze and wouldn't have a Scooby's what Tesla SatNav, or fuel-consumption-prediction was saying

I use the fuel-prediction a lot - to be comfortable that I am going to arrive with expected percentage. If I'm being a bit spirited (Ahem!) ... or its chucking it down (and my consumption is therefore "poor") then I may need to slow down (or plan to stop and top-up). I don't think Waze, alone, is the answer (yet ...)

I have my route in Tesla SatNav on MUTE (so I can look at a big map) and route also in Waze on phone "down there" (with volume up) for spoken directions. Frequently they agree on the route.

I sometimes have to resolve when Waze wants a different route (like last night ... Waze set off South, when the way home is North. I assume I had put wrong destination in, headed North ... and pulled over after a bit to check. It was quite clear (in Waze) that there were significant night-time road closures on my normal route (unbeknownst to Tesla SatNav - I do have the subscription) so I turned round and went South.

That is SO rare I put up with it. Sometimes Waze says "Turn LEFT" when Tesla is showing RIGHT, but when I know the area and know that either/either is just a choice based on Traffic I go with Waze and let Tesla SatNav "catch up" after a few yards ...

Waze is better for traffic (I think) ... but ... I've had it route me long-way-around-M25 when QE II bridge busy and that would have entailed a refuelling stop ... which Waze knows nothing about (or didn't "back then") so, for me, I still think I need "both" and then up to me to make an informed decision

If it was CarPlay presumably I would just be using Waze and wouldn't have a Scooby's what Tesla SatNav, or fuel-consumption-prediction was saying

I use the fuel-prediction a lot - to be comfortable that I am going to arrive with expected percentage. If I'm being a bit spirited (Ahem!) ... or its chucking it down (and my consumption is therefore "poor") then I may need to slow down (or plan to stop and top-up). I don't think Waze, alone, is the answer (yet ...)
same here, the Tesla nav has definitely improved over the last 12 months but I run waze on the magbak display mount when traveling through large metros with traffic, typically listening to waze
i have never seen waze fail on its prediction of my eta and when i arrive
Tesla nav is very good, but waze is the best for bad traffic

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Congrats, I've literally picked up the same car Friday afternoon - White with Black and White Interior and absolutely love it!! The performance is unreal in such a usable car.

Still working out all the tech so hints and tips appreciated, I've already been scouring this forum which is great.

Mine's called Snowflake as its all white - daughters choice!