Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Close to buying one… can you help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m real close on a 2019 Model S Performance with FSD. I haven’t been able to actually drive one. I drove a new Y performance so I feel like the 2019 would be close to the same for acceleration at least right?

I’m just stuck on buying direct from Tesla with a small warranty on this 2019 or even possibly for 10k more a 2021 version.

The Tesla rep was really pushing the new model 3 on me which I wasn’t a huge fan of. Specifically the seats on the 3 didn’t really feel like a 3+ hr seat. I currently have a 22yr old Lexus LS 430 which is still very comfortable so that’s why I’m leaning on the model S. Seems to be a much better car.

Tesla won’t let you drive it before you basically commit to the used one so it’s a tough decision…

Guess my question to the group is would you go with a 2019 or is the 2021 that much better for 10k more? Both FSD, performance editions.

The “refresh” is the change from vertical to horizontal? I know I like nearly all my devices horizontal in life tablet phone etc but I thought I would like the vertical screen in Tesla but maybe not? Actually haven’t thought about that much…..
Thoughts?
and lemme say thank you to everybody responding, seriously man I could use just a little bit of help here just opinions in general actually help a lot so thank you in advance

Since when?
Dunno? But a used Tesla that is in “storage” cannot be test drove unless you pay the $500 fee to have it pulled out and detailed. I even asked the Tesla dude to just lemme see it.. lemme sit in it…. I just don’t like spending 500 for a non refundable deposit. I know Tesla has standards and there won’t be a huge gouge in the drivers seat…. But it’s the point. Just lemme sit in the car then I’ll pay the money. Now I’m also most ready to lay the delivery fee for a different color one in ca. might as well go for it if I’m going to pay a fee. Go all out right?

Dunno? But a used Tesla that is in “storage” cannot be test drove unless you pay the $500 fee to have it pulled out and detailed. I even asked the Tesla dude to just lemme see it.. lemme sit in it…. I just don’t like spending 500 for a non refundable deposit. I know Tesla has standards and there won’t be a huge gouge in the drivers seat…. But it’s the point. Just lemme sit in the car then I’ll pay the money. Now I’m also most ready to lay the delivery fee for a different color one in ca. might as well go for it if I’m going to pay a fee. Go all out right?
Oh and if I pay the fee and don’t like the car when it’s delivered that’s it. The 500 can’t be transferred to another car. It “probably” can be transferred to a new Tesla the Tesla dude said but that’s just what he thought would happen. I was ready to give my 50k right there for the car. But it isn’t a thing… gotta buy it online and go through the process…. Weird.

Here’s a good question for the Group white interior or black interior?

I really really like that white interior but in the past I’ve had some light seats and they definitely show where pretty quickly. I personally haven’t had dark black interior, but I would think they could hide the wear better.

Since when?
It's been that way since at least 2018. We bought our used S85 sight unseen other than a few Mannheim pictures and a description about the remaining range from a Tesla Sales Advisor. The car was in Scottsdale, Az so I flew out there and took a Lyft to take delivery. They would not allow a test drive but let me inspect the car after verifying the car properly Supercharged and level 2 charged. They gave me the option to decline and transfer my deposit to another vehicle but the car was acceptable to me. A small ding on the fender, a little sand scars on the hood, a little curb rash on the wheels, a few touch-up paint marks on the rear bumper cover, and a few smudges on the headliner wasn't going to deter me.

As I pulled into the driveway, I got a low coolant warning message and coincidentally discovered the rear defroster didn't work. My local Tesla Service Center fixed it after holding it in storage for 14 days...those were the days when there was one Service Center pretty much supporting the Tesla-dense region of Orange County. I remember the poor Service Center had Teslas line out the driveway and into the street...all those new Model 3s with production flaws were getting corrected.

Reactions: Dan Pooler
I bought my 2019 MSP w/FSD directly from Tesla, love the car. It’s a completely different experience than the 3/Y

The model s raven is a 2.3s 0-60 and new model y performance is 3.5s. Both are fun, but the MSP makes grownups giggle it’s so darn fast.

The warranty on the 2019 battery/drivetrain is 8 years/unlimited miles while the 2021 is 8yr/150k.

if both cars are listed as “performance” they are likely both Raven models. There are not any material differences in the ravens from may 2019 to Q1 2021. Later palladium refresh models were labeled with Plaid. If the 2021 has the horizontal screen it is the newer refresh which might justify 10k, if it has a vertical screen it might not be worth the money unless there is a significant difference in mileage.

The sight unseen used car purchase is very nerve wracking, but it worked out for me. The car was in very good condition, and you get a 1 year/10k extension to the warranty.

Reactions: Dan Pooler
I’m thinking… most new car Tesla owners.

I don’t think you know how this works.
You are right. I did not know how Tesla used car buying worked until I read this thread. But even then I think its a gamble. I mean its not like buying used Toyota or Lexus with their product quality and after sales service. Teslas come with many ongoing problems, even new ones. And top their horrible post sales service (I have dealt with all of this since buing 2023 Model S less than three months ago). Never say never buy I do not see myself buying even a used mobile charger from Tesla (if they sell them) let alone a car.