Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TXU Free EV Miles plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone successfully signed up for TXU's Free EV Miles 24 plan?

The plan alledgedly gives free off-peak charging, and has fairly generous off-peak times. I signed up for the plan, and got a link to register my car with "rollingenergyresources.com". I tried to do that, but TXU doesn't think a car is registered. All I got from rollingenergyresources.com's support email is to wait two weeks. I've done so, but no luck. Now rolling energy won't reply to my emails and they didn't offer a phone number. (Yes, I checked spam folders). TXU support says there is nothing they can do about it.

Just to follow up on my on thread--I did find a phone number on the Rolling Energy Resources web site and talked to a human. They say they had a weeklong glitch in their connection to TXU, and that problem should be resolved next week. I am given them the benefit of the doubt that that will actually happen.

Make sure that you read the fine print on the rate. It's not as "free" as they say.

In the Oncor service area, TXU's Free EV Miles 12 plan is a 100% renewable, 12-month fixed rate with an average all-in rate, at 1,000 kWh, of 18.3¢ per kWh, which reflects a base charge of $9.95 per month, an energy charge of 17.1¢ per kWh, and a pass-through of TDU charges.

If I remember correctly you've got to drive quite a few miles per month to offset the $9.95 base charge and probably a few other add-ons. I think that it was well over 1,000 miles.

Reactions: vrykolas
Make sure that you read the fine print on the rate. It's not as "free" as they say.

In the Oncor service area, TXU's Free EV Miles 12 plan is a 100% renewable, 12-month fixed rate with an average all-in rate, at 1,000 kWh, of 18.3¢ per kWh, which reflects a base charge of $9.95 per month, an energy charge of 17.1¢ per kWh, and a pass-through of TDU charges.

If I remember correctly you've got to drive quite a few miles per month to offset the $9.95 base charge and probably a few other add-ons. I think that it was well over 1,000 miles.
I saw that. The base and kWH charges are lower than I had on the GME renewable plan I am coming from. I'm on the 24 month version, which is 14.5¢ per kWH before TDU charges but has the same base charge. The 1000 kWH all-in average is 15.6¢. The plan is cheaper than what I was paying before even before the EV charging discount.

I did find plans that would be cheaper overall, but if any were 100% renewable, I missed them. The other free off-peak plans I found had exorbitant daytime rates--which doesn't work well for us because we work at home.

Following up again--shortly after speaking with a person at Rolling Energy Resources, TXU showed that my car is connected.

On the downside, I also got the first TXU bill. They charged the full $9.95 base fee for a partial month (2 week) billing period. Sigh.

Did you go to PowerToChoose first?

I went there and got Octopus for three years at 10.6c - 100% renewable

Generally speaking, the reason they give you free EV charging, or free weekends or five free days in a mnth is because they charge you so much for the bit that you do pay for that it's not a burden for them