Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Speed Test – Tesla Model S P85 Gets Driven on the Autobahn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not going to change anything. The Tesla's performance is pathetic above 160kph. My girl friends 140 hp VW Golf can do better than this.

We understand you don't like Tesla for this reason. You've said that over and over again. Can your girlfriend's VW Golf drive 0-60 in 4.2 seconds or run without gas? Different cars have different positive and negative attributes. The Golf has low price and top speed going for it. The Model S with a single gear doesn't. I think we can move on from this issue. Until the Model S adds more gears it will probably be limited like this for awhile.

I'm driving through Germany at the moment with my S85 and between the SuperChargers I've been flooring it as well.

My S85 maxes out a 203km/h without any pain, it simply stays there and uses about 90kW continuously. The only problem is the German cars who still want to overtake you. But they all loose the sprint to the 200km/h :)

I'm driving through Germany at the moment with my S85 and between the SuperChargers I've been flooring it as well.

My S85 maxes out a 203km/h without any pain, it simply stays there and uses about 90kW continuously. The only problem is the German cars who still want to overtake you. But they all loose the sprint to the 200km/h :)

What part about those other cars overtaking you is a problem? Is it a manhood thing? :tongue:

BTW, I would hope you didn't post that comment while driving. :frown:

What part about those other cars overtaking you is a problem? Is it a manhood thing? :tongue:
Yeah, something like that. But no, not a real problem. I'm staying at 140 ~ 150km/h between SuperChargers.

BTW, I would hope you didn't post that comment while driving. :frown:
No, posting this from the Wilnsdorf SuperCharger while enjoying dinner and waiting for the charge.

I really don't think you can honestly make this statement about people driving on the Autobahn. Have you done it in a car equipped to do so?

I've been on the autobahn a couple times, don't recall seeing the circle-with-slashes sign more than a handful of times, usually pretty short stretches too IIRC. Could be just the road I was on.

Anyway the facts are pretty indisputable that fuel economy goes to hell at speed and crashing at speed is more likely to result in your death. The little mpg calculators on the web only go up to 85mph. At 150 mph you might get about 7 mpg. A colossal waste.

Still, people are free to drive 100+ mph on the autobahn, pump over 300 pounds of carbon into the air per hour, and endanger their own life and others.

I am free to be not impressed.

It is not going to change anything. The Tesla's performance is pathetic above 160kph. My girl friends 140 hp VW Golf can do better than this.

blah blah blah blah blah, really ? who cares when you are over 100mph. it gets old 'hearing' the same crap over and over.. how is the golf from 0-40mph? hmmm? just as fun? quiet? I think not. can you carry 8 wheels in it? put 2 dogs 4 people and luggage? a golf and an S? in the same sentence comparing?

the Model S is pretty close to an M3 in autocross. that says something given it's size and weight. Same autocross class, that is it. I'd take my S over the M3 any day (but it does sound nice when it is opened up)

sorry, no.. or, yes, pathetic over 160kph

- - - Updated - - -

Giving way to faster cars is the big benefit of driving on the Autobahn. Nobody will block the left lane if you want to go faster. I am driving on the Autobahn every day and I haven't had an accident for almost 20 years.

this is nice... If 'Americans only understood to move the F over

I've been on the autobahn a couple times, don't recall seeing the circle-with-slashes sign more than a handful of times, usually pretty short stretches too IIRC. Could be just the road I was on.

Anyway the facts are pretty indisputable that fuel economy goes to hell at speed and crashing at speed is more likely to result in your death. The little mpg calculators on the web only go up to 85mph. At 150 mph you might get about 7 mpg. A colossal waste.

Still, people are free to drive 100+ mph on the autobahn, pump over 300 pounds of carbon into the air per hour, and endanger their own life and others.

I am free to be not impressed.
Although it's sometimes fun to drive a bit fast I fully agree. >90mph/150kph is pointless. It only uses a lot of energy (ICE or EV) and thus pollutes a lot.

But what has to be said, driving 200km/h in a Model S is so smooth and quiet. You are there before you know it.

Agreed, I have a $7200 (brand new out the door) GSX-R 750 for any track shennanigans and it still manages 26mpg when hitting 175mph down the back straight of Virginia International Raceway full course. The Model S's wheelhouse isn't the track along with a LOT of other cars in its class. If I wanted a track car that I could daily drive I would have gotten a M5 hands down but I realized a long time ago that tracking my daily driver is a HORRIBLE idea and leads to lots of additional maintenance, downtime, broken bits, cost, and aggrivation.

The Model S is a frustrating track car for sure, although I'll still probably take it to the local road course a few times this summer. :) I've started the search for a dedicated track tool as I'm likely to enter a chumpcar race either this summer or next with a couple friends.

In Germany, you sometimes also have the opposite problem: On an autobahn say with three lanes per direction, you´d have two crowded lanes travelling at a reasonable speed, and noone dares to pull over to the left lane because someone might be coming from behind at 120mph any time. I find it much more relaxed driving in the US or any other country with a sensible speed limit for that matter, though I admit once in a while it is fun driving fast. Keeping speed differences small makes driving much safer I think. Imagine going 120 and a truck doesn´t see you coming and pulls over at half your speed...

yea seriously. I can't stand having to change lanes to the right in order to pass someone. The left lane is for passing, not for just sitting there on cruise control going at whatever speed pleases you and never moving over even for the line of 300 cars behind you.

In Germany, you sometimes also have the opposite problem: On an autobahn say with three lanes per direction, you´d have two crowded lanes travelling at a reasonable speed, and noone dares to pull over to the left lane because someone might be coming from behind at 120mph any time. I find it much more relaxed driving in the US or any other country with a sensible speed limit for that matter, though I admit once in a while it is fun driving fast. Keeping speed differences small makes driving much safer I think. Imagine going 120 and a truck doesn´t see you coming and pulls over at half your speed...
True, I know that feeling.

On the left lane you always feel "rushed" since somebody might be driving bizarrely fast. However, it seems that people are starting to drive slower in Germany.

dude I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me on the turnpike...

The Model S is a frustrating track car for sure, although I'll still probably take it to the local road course a few times this summer. :) I've started the search for a dedicated track tool as I'm likely to enter a chumpcar race either this summer or next with a couple friends.

I've taken the approach of only burning carbon for track day fun - which is a small percentage of my driving. Maybe someday there will be a truly practical EV track car but that doesn't exist at the moment. (Except that I do drive my Roadster for autocross.)

blah blah blah blah blah, really ? who cares when you are over 100mph. it gets old 'hearing' the same crap over and over.. how is the golf from 0-40mph? hmmm? just as fun? quiet? I think not. can you carry 8 wheels in it? put 2 dogs 4 people and luggage? a golf and an S? in the same sentence comparing?

the Model S is pretty close to an M3 in autocross. that says something given it's size and weight. Same autocross class, that is it. I'd take my S over the M3 any day (but it does sound nice when it is opened up)

I think you'll be very surprised just how refined a brand new standard VW Golf is. You barely hear the engine and it's impossible to notice any up- or downshift from the gearbox. It's got much better seats than the Tesla, more safety features and more headroom in the back. And most important: It costs about 1/3 of the Model S. The new Golf R is half the price of an P85+ and the performance is similar if not better.

Accelerating above 160kph is standard procedure on the Autobahn. The energy consumption argument is pointless. If I want to go faster I do it. Freedom of choice.

this is nice... If 'Americans only understood to move the F over
Very simple solutions can address this.

1. Add legislation that allows people to report violations with evidence.
2. Provide camera qualification criteria that satisfies #1.
3. Dashcam providers build cameras that satisfy #2.
4. Driver buys dashcam and has it professionally installed (< $300).
5. Driver reports people in front of him using the left lane improperly 6 times.
6. Government tickets improper left lane use at $100 a pop.
7. Government credits $50 of each $100 fine to the reporting driver.
8. Driver from #5 now has a free dashcam.
9. Everyone wins.

Very simple solutions can address this.

1. Add legislation that allows people to report violations with evidence.
2. Provide camera qualification criteria that satisfies #1.
3. Dashcam providers build cameras that satisfy #2.
4. Driver buys dashcam and has it professionally installed (< $300).
5. Driver reports people in front of him using the left lane improperly 6 times.
6. Government tickets improper left lane use at $100 a pop.
7. Government credits $50 of each $100 fine to the reporting driver.
8. Driver from #5 now has a free dashcam.
9. Everyone wins.

10. Owner of vehicle denies driving vehicle at said times, gets off free.

I'm all for making getting people out of the left lane. But I am more in favor of due process, and accusing a person, not a vehicle.