Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland top speed reduced…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah lol. Can you get the speed back if you put some decent performance tires on there? Also to note, they removed acceleration boost as well. Why would they do this? Really disappointed and makes me not really want to upgrade my current LR with acceleration boost to this new LR. Lower top speed, “locked” 4.2 0-60… It’s much better telling friends and family you have a 3 second car vs a 4 second car, and the difference in the driver’s seat is huge as well.
I feel like they sacrificed to many performance metrics for marginal improvement in efficiency.

Sounds like they want people that care about performance to buy a performance car. Pretty common in other manufacturers too. This lets Tesla sell a max efficency car for the 95% of people that want that, and a performance one for the remaning 5%.

Who buys an LR and cares about going over 125 MPH?

So, performance (top speed and the potential for Acceleration Boost) has been compromised for the sake of ultra efficient 19 inch wheels......so does that mean you have lost everything even if you prefer the 18 inch wheel ?

Who buys an LR and cares about going over 125 MPH?
Ignoring whether there should be an arbitrary cutoff, the cutoff point itself seems sensible.

Anecdotal observation of top speed discussions on public roads most people admit to hitting around 125, which was also personally true for me in my dumb teens when it was car-limited.

But even now, legally, on the autobahn with my M3P I barely touched 125 (200kph) a few times. Doesnt mean other people dont exceed that (they do!!!) but in practice 125 shouldnt be an issue of real usability gripe outside of aesthetics reasons.

So, performance (top speed and the potential for Acceleration Boost) has been compromised for the sake of ultra efficient 19 inch wheels......so does that mean you have lost everything even if you prefer the 18 inch wheel ?
Where was wheel size discussed? An efficent tire is an efficent tire. And who says Accel Boost was taken away for efficency or because of wheel size? That doesn't change efficency.

Tesla sells the M3P if you care about performance instead of efficency.

So if we go with higher rated tires, is there a way to change top speed as mechanical ( motor ) same as 2023?
Highly unlikely. I don't know of any car company that allows this. Best chance is if Tesla themselves sell you the tires (like is the only way to unlock 200 MPH on Plaid.)

I really get a kick out of this though. Who is seriously going to buy an LR over a Performance, then go out and spend $1500 on new tires just so they can go 140 MPH instead of 125 MPH? Where?

You are a tough guy to please
You're the one saying this with no evidence:
I really do not see any discussion that indicates there will not be 18's, that the 19's are the only efficient tire with a speed limit, or that wheel size has anything to do with acceleration boost being available,

Since I started this thread, I find it hard to believe those who defend the top speed reduction or losing acceleration boost on the LR models…
We had it available for 2022 and 2023 so it is not unreasonable to expect it now. At least as a software option as it is not the drivetrain that is the limitation but software restrictions put in.

Dan

Since I started this thread, I find it hard to believe those who defend the top speed reduction or losing acceleration boost on the LR models…
We had it available for 2022 and 2023 so it is not unreasonable to expect it now. At least as a software option as it is not the drivetrain that is the limitation but software restrictions put in.

Dan
Very much agree. I don’t care nearly as much about top speed as I do acceleration boost. Only reason to have higher top speed in the US is pure bragging rights. In Germany it’s actually useful/needed. Acceleration boost you can actually feel on a daily basis.

Highly unlikely. I don't know of any car company that allows this. Best chance is if Tesla themselves sell you the tires (like is the only way to unlock 200 MPH on Plaid.)
Tesla can allow an unlock, for free or for pay.

Plenty of german cars have artificial 155mph/250kph speed limiter that can be removed by software for $.

My OEM winter tires are 118mph T-rated so it’s not the manufacturer’s responsibility of the driver exceed their equipment limits.