Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland top speed reduced…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The previous version of Model 3 before highland was 140mph. Now 125mph.

What would be reason for this change, if it using same electric motor?

Any way to get back the 140mph top speed?

I have the standard RWD highland ordered.

Dan
The reason? It is my understanding different gearing. That was in part to keep the performance in light of the heavier and less muscular battery pack.

If you feel you need to go more than 125 MPH you should get the "P"model and only then on a track.

Just my 2 cents, but this is a silly complaint. There is not a single public road anywhere in the United States or Canada where you can legally go anywhere near 140mph, and if caught trying, you'll probably pay more in fines than you can imagine and lose your driving rights for a looong time. If not outright go to jail.

Your car's top speed is just for bragging rights, and if you test it, I hope I'm nowhere near.

Just my 2 cents, but this is a silly complaint. There is not a single public road anywhere in the United States or Canada where you can legally go anywhere near 140mph, and if caught trying, you'll probably pay more in fines than you can imagine and lose your driving rights for a looong time. If not outright go to jail.

Your car's top speed is just for bragging rights, and if you test it, I hope I'm nowhere near.
No one said anything about legally. It's pretty easy to top out these cars on some roads. I can't say I'm driving above 120 often, but it does happen on occasion.

I have the record for the 1/4 mile in a Model 3 for both time and trap speed and I only hit 120.0 mph at the track.

I agree that doing these speeds on the street is not a prudent thing to do. So many bad things can happen at those speeds on the streets.

Reactions: mborkow
No one said anything about legally. It's pretty easy to top out these cars on some roads. I can't say I'm driving above 120 often, but it does happen on occasion.
Are you driving above 125 mph? There is actually a big difference between 120 mph and 125 mph in the Model 3. It takes so long to accelerate above 120 mph in the Model 3 because of the fixed gear.

Just curious. Have you ever got a ticket above 100 mph? I couldn’t imagine what they would do to you at those speeds around here. I think jail time is mandatory at those speeds here?

Are you driving above 125 mph? There is actually a big difference between 120 mph and 125 mph in the Model 3. It takes so long to accelerate above 120 mph in the Model 3 because of the fixed gear.

Just curious. Have you ever got a ticket above 100 mph? I couldn’t imagine what they would do to you at those speeds around here. I think jail time is mandatory at those speeds here?
I don't sustain 125+ often, but short bursts here and there yes. Certainly much easier to get their in the Plaid than my M3P. I think my personal record is still in my old E46 M3

As speed increases the likelihood of an accident increases dramatically. Any bump or turn at 150 mph would be the end. At 110 mph or perhaps even 120 mph the car can handle much more before it becomes unsettled.
Disagreed there too. You don't magically go from handling completely fine to it being an uncontrollable mess. If bumps and curves at 150 are "the end" I would've died at least 15 years ago. Obviously a sharp enough corner will be difficult to negotiate, so you should be driving roads your familiar with.

To be fair, I picked up my E46 BMW in Europe, and drove it really fast! I remember driving on the A41 from Grenoble to Geneva, doing 200kmh, and it seemed both easy and normal. It made getting there, pretty quick too! Now, I don't think I've ever driven my Tesla over 90mph.

Reactions: afadeev