Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove the Highland Yesterday.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove the LR Highland at the Fremont Factory yesterday and there are a LOT of changes that the reviewers didn’t mention. All new speaker system in different locations, all buttons - including the door releases - are solid state with haptic feedback, the frunk area is completely redesigned with the washer fluid reservoir in the front, the trunk now has large, deep side bins on both sides, the hood is VERY easy to latch now, the trunk motor is virtually silent, the seats are NOTICEABLY more comfortable and feels like sitting on gel, the interior fit/finish/materials are top notch. The car has the standard 18” wheels and the ride is MUCH smoother than the old model - it’s not subtle - yet it flew around on/off-ramps flat and without complaints. The car is silent inside to the point where you don’t hear anything. Couldn’t hear any wind noise on the highway. What’s also impressive is that you can’t hear the front motor anymore so there must be more firewall insulation or something. I walked away shocked and couldn’t believe it was the same as the outgoing model. Oh, and for anyone concerned about the missing stalks, I got used to the turn signal buttons in about 10mins. Well done.

Drove the LR Highland at the Fremont Factory yesterday and there are a LOT of changes that the reviewers didn’t mention. All new speaker system in different locations, all buttons - including the door releases - are solid state with haptic feedback, the frunk area is completely redesigned with the washer fluid reservoir in the front, the trunk now has large, deep side bins on both sides, the hood is VERY easy to latch now, the trunk motor is virtually silent, the seats are NOTICEABLY more comfortable and feels like sitting on gel, the interior fit/finish/materials are top notch. The car has the standard 18” wheels and the ride is MUCH smoother than the old model - it’s not subtle - yet it flew around on/off-ramps flat and without complaints. The car is silent inside to the point where you don’t hear anything. Couldn’t hear any wind noise on the highway. What’s also impressive is that you can’t hear the front motor anymore so there must be more firewall insulation or something. I walked away shocked and couldn’t believe it was the same as the outgoing model. Oh, and for anyone concerned about the missing stalks, I got used to the turn signal buttons in about 10mins. Well done.
You had me at "Silent inside" :)

Okay, but what about activating the wipers, flashing the headlights, operating the Autopilot, shifting gears, etc., etc.? Turnsignals might be okay, but muscle memory for the many other things is going to be hard to overcome.

I'm sure it'll be the same as when you got a Tesla in the first place...it'll take a few hours to get used to it, and then it'll feel like second nature again.

I demo'ed a highland over the week as well.

I wouldn't say it is "silent inside". You can still hear wind noise at higher speed, especially on the freeway/highway. You can also hear the whirling noise from the motor when you flooring the car.

I've never owned a M3 but I did own a 2013 MS. The insulations (windows and doors) are definitely better.

Trim alignment on the outside of the car looked good. However, there were a few things off. Most noticeably was the ambient light trim from the driver's door panel meeting the dash panel. The trim from the driver's door sticks out a little more. The passenger side was good.

I didn't completely get used to the turn signal buttons on the steering wheel. There were several occasions when I was reaching for the turn signal stalk.

Tesla did add an actual blind spot monitoring indicator on the inside of the side view mirrors. It is within the "speaker" grill on the side mirrors. Just a light that lights up.

• Informative
Reactions: Scelto and Zythryn
Drove a MiC Highland in Europe a few months ago, not impressed.

Most of the subjective 'quiet' is a function of a factory new or nearly new car... from weatherstripping to suspension bushings, shocks, etc to materials throughout that havent been put through at least one year of seasonal aging.

The Highland downgrade will be comperable to the current 2017-2023 3s experience, after the cars live a few years of 4-seasons or high-heat, deep-freeze daily driver duty and put on say 25-50-100K miles.

• Disagree
Reactions: Maki22
Drove a MiC Highland in Europe a few months ago, not impressed.

Most of the subjective 'quiet' is a function of a factory new or nearly new car... from weatherstripping to suspension bushings, shocks, etc to materials throughout that havent been put through at least one year of seasonal aging.

The Highland downgrade will be comperable to the current 2017-2023 3s experience, after the cars live a few years of 4-seasons or high-heat, deep-freeze daily driver duty and put on say 25-50-100K miles.
I'm going to disagree with you here. They had a brand new 2023 LR as well and I drove them back-to-back (both with 18" wheels). The difference in "quiet" is not subtle. There is far less tire and wind noise, and you can only hear the front motor if you floor it... in the 2023 you could hear with any accelerator pedal press. Also, the interior is most definitely an upgrade. Better materials, better (vented) seats, more trunk storage, better shaped frunk, etc. The suspension is also not a subtle difference. No BANG over bumps. Also, the front end restyle looks amazing in person - the pictures don't do it justice. I questioned the front restyle until I saw it for myself and side-by-side, it makes the previous design look even more fish-like. Not sure how how anyone who actually drives both back to back could call this a downgrade. Actually I can, because it's something that happens on every car forum when owners of the outgoing model no longer feel like they have the latest and greatest, so they trash the new model. Not suggesting that's the case with the quoted post but it's common.

Last edited:
Okay, but what about activating the wipers, flashing the headlights, operating the Autopilot, shifting gears, etc., etc.? Turnsignals might be okay, but muscle memory for the many other things is going to be hard to overcome.
You'd think that but honestly, it's very easy to get used to. My test ride was about 20 mins and wipers, flashers, signals were all pretty straightforward by the end of the ride. One thing that made the turn signals easy to adapt to is that the R signal button is further to the right, so easy to adapt to.

Harley-Davidson has always had the L turn signal button on the left control and the R on the right. When I get on another bike with the turn signal controls for L/R both on the left and sliders vs. presses, I get used to it in seconds and it's a non-issue. I also don't see roundabouts being an issue because the steering is so quick that you only need to turn it about a ¼ turn at most to navigate through them, so the buttons are still within easy reach.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
I drove a RWD yesterday at a Tesla Owners of Washington event.

Positives:
  • The car was nice - comfortable and very quiet inside. Interior materials are nice, but not an improvement over the early Model 3. The materials are a cost saving that doesn't feel like a big downgrade, which is okay.
  • I thought the steering wheel controls were better than the current S/X - easier to activate and more responsive.
  • The suspension is the big improvement. It's more composed and smoother over rough road surfaces, while still feeling sporty.
  • Perforated and ventilated seats were very nice.
Not so positives:
  • Despite the sales person's claims of an improved sound system, I found that it didn't sound as good as the system in my 2018. I didn't get an opportunity to listen to the system in the dual motor car that was also at the event - perhaps its better. For reference, I connected my phone to Bluetooth, which offers much better audio quality than streaming.
  • I was not impressed with the ambient lighting strip. I found it to be a distraction in my peripheral vision on any color other than red.
  • I don't think it adds anything to the driving experience, but it does look kind of cool. I understand why they did it - because everyone and their brother was clamoring about xyz car having ambient lighting and Tesla not.
  • The headlights are okay. In terms of lighting performance, I still prefer my original reflector design over both newer designs.
  • As someone who has used "roll" mode in Teslas for a long time, I don't care for the consolidation of stopping modes into "hold" mode.
Overall impression: it's a nice upgrade that is priced right and performs well. The performance model might get me to upgrade from my 2018 with 200,000+ miles.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Scelto
Drove Highland this weekend. “Mulholland Lap” here in LA (mountain road, surface streets, freeway nibble). Back to back to back with our own 2017 M3 RWD and 2024 MY demo car.

Agree with OP and general thread consensus.

Turn signal learning curve was brief. New PRND approach is fine. And yet. And yet …

Everything ELSE that the stalks do was not. For a pilot environment that has always epitomized simplicity, the new buttons on the wheel — all SEVEN of them (in addition to the existing excellent push/scroll wheels) — struck me as a giant backwards UI step. They reminded me of the endless Chiclet-style buttons that litter many other cars.

Deletion of two stalks may seem quintessentially Tesla, but addition of seven little buttons is not.

Of course, folks, this is just one veteran Teslan’s reaction. Others of you may experience them differently.

I felt the difference in steering weights through the settings were better dialed in. In the pre-facelift, I'd keep it in comfort mode. In the 2024, it felt more over-assisted vs numb. In other words, comfort can be steered with very light resistance but you could still feel the road. Standard setting actually felt better in the new model. That was my biggest concern Danny but also a non-issue for me. One thing I will say is that when going over large bumps, you still feel them... but going over the same bumps in the 2023, noticed the wheel more prone to turn a bit when reacting. Thinking better bushings somewhere down there.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and danny