Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove the Highland Yesterday.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove a RWD yesterday at a Tesla Owners of Washington event.

Positives:
  • The car was nice - comfortable and very quiet inside. Interior materials are nice, but not an improvement over the early Model 3. The materials are a cost saving that doesn't feel like a big downgrade, which is okay.

The LR has better materials on the doors than the RWD. Alcantara in LR vs fabric in RWD.

Does the blind spot indicator light up when a car is in the blind spot even when the turn signal is not activated?
Yes, but don't rely only on it. I have had several situations where I have had a car next to me in my blind spot and the car didn't warn me about it.

@dusty22 Yes to your question. However, I didn't test to see how responsive & accurate the blind spot monitoring is. During my demo, I noticed Tesla added them and they do work. I'm sure once everyone starts to receive the car, they'll test the hell out of it.

Reactions: dusty22
Despite the sales person's claims of an improved sound system, I found that it didn't sound as good as the system in my 2018. I didn't get an opportunity to listen to the system in the dual motor car that was also at the event - perhaps its better. For reference, I connected my phone to Bluetooth, which offers much better audio quality than streaming.
The RWD and AWD have different sound systems. My understanding is it is a noticeable difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
because it's something that happens on every car forum when owners of the outgoing model no longer feel like they have the latest and greatest, so they trash the new model. Not suggesting that's the case with the quoted post but it's common.

yeah its a coping mechanism 😆
Thank you for the review, this will be my first EV. I was honestly not thrilled because its not my choice to be in an EV. company wide policy is forcing EVs down our throats. but I'm warming up to it and the quite cabin and comfortable ride is what I'm looking forward to.

Yes, but don't rely only on it. I have had several situations where I have had a car next to me in my blind spot and the car didn't warn me about it.

Now I'm wondering how reliable the red blind spot warning in the repeater images are. So far mine seem to be reliable but I usually activate the signals after a visual check when there are no cars close to me. They do seem to work well when trying to enter a lane with slow, heavy traffic.

Reactions: Transformer
One Further Thought
Removal of USS parking assist is another unforced error and step backward.

Vision-based system is way less precise and consistent.

Of course, only a true problem in really tight spaces or other situations when you need to get really close … especially in front, where there’s no bumper cam.

Again, though, just my personal take …

Drove the LR Highland at the Fremont Factory yesterday and there are a LOT of changes that the reviewers didn’t mention. All new speaker system in different locations, all buttons - including the door releases - are solid state with haptic feedback, the frunk area is completely redesigned with the washer fluid reservoir in the front, the trunk now has large, deep side bins on both sides, the hood is VERY easy to latch now, the trunk motor is virtually silent, the seats are NOTICEABLY more comfortable and feels like sitting on gel, the interior fit/finish/materials are top notch. The car has the standard 18” wheels and the ride is MUCH smoother than the old model - it’s not subtle - yet it flew around on/off-ramps flat and without complaints. The car is silent inside to the point where you don’t hear anything. Couldn’t hear any wind noise on the highway. What’s also impressive is that you can’t hear the front motor anymore so there must be more firewall insulation or something. I walked away shocked and couldn’t believe it was the same as the outgoing model. Oh, and for anyone concerned about the missing stalks, I got used to the turn signal buttons in about 10mins. Well done.
Here is a good comparison of the Highland to the legacy Bluestar 3. Model 3 Comparisons – TeslaTap, really strange that car lost top end down from 140 MPH to 125 MPH.....

1706614228753.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: FatM3
The highland has hepa level air filtration now, I don't recall hearing about that?
They call it Bioweapon Defense Mode, which is similar to the embellishment of saying Full Self Driving. But it sounds cool, until you see someone wearing a mask driving with a car you know has BWDM. Wonder if the put the huge one like the S & X have or its just the standard sized one you see in the 3 and Y

1706659663183.png

Last edited:
The highland has hepa level air filtration now, I don't recall hearing about that?

They call it Bioweapon Defense Mode, which is similar to the embellishment of saying Full Self Driving. But it sounds cool, until you see someone wearing a mask driving with a car you know has BWDM. Wonder if the put the huge one like the S & X have or its just the standard sized one you see in the 3 and Y

View attachment 1013761

That chart is wrong. It is based on early rumours and was never updated after the release of the car last year.

The Highland does not have "Bioweapon Defence Mode" or new HEPA filters. It uses the same filters as the 2023 model.

It also does not have 5G connectivity and the support for CSS adapter is the same as before.

Nice! How is it using the steering wheel buttons when the wheel is turned or turning? (In some countries the driver can get ticketed for not signaling when exiting a roundabout.)

Are you skilled with video game controllers?
This is where the buttons suck. With a stalk, you can use your fingers to flip the turn signal in the middle of a turn without looking or hunting for the buttons. Otherwise when driving straight, the buttons are ok. Not an improvement over a simple stalk though.

This is where the buttons suck. With a stalk, you can use your fingers to flip the turn signal in the middle of a turn without looking or hunting for the buttons. Otherwise when driving straight, the buttons are ok. Not an improvement over a simple stalk though.
If I find that I must have stalks in my next Tesla, I’ll buy this. But unlikely though. I test drove the highland and didn’t mind the stalkless.

Reactions: dsm363
I did the test drive, but only had 15 minutes, so I didn’t get on the highway, and couldn’t really tell that much about the noise and suspension improvements.
Two things that stuck out.
The interior running light thing reflects against the windshield and is seriously annoying. Total waste of whatever it cost them. Luckily, you can turn it off.
Strangely, they seem to have gotten rid of Roll stopping mode, which is what I’ve always used. Don’t know why.

Reactions: zoomer0056
For those who drove it, what was the steering feel like? Another member posted a thread about their test drive and said the steering felt numb.
Yeah I thought it was a bit more numb than the outgoing model. Both in feel and in response. Also more body roll in turns compare to the pre-highland.

I liked the pre-highland setup with the 18s. Stiffer suspension but the tire sidewall soaks up more of the bumps.

The new setup is softer/floatier. I only drove the highland with 18s and the stock hankook AS tires though. Maybe one with 19s and grippier tires would be more responsive. They didn’t have one for me to test with 19s.

My reference is a 2023 RWD with 18s. We also have a 2017 mk7 GTI. I think the GTI is better balanced vs the highland. I previously I preferred the non highland model 3 to the GTI. The GTI does have Michelin PSAS4 tires on it, though.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Strangely, they seem to have gotten rid of Roll stopping mode, which is what I’ve always used. Don’t know why.

It's for efficiency, and thus to reduce arguments over the accuracy of the car's range predictions. 2024+ Models 3 & Y only.

I love hold mode. What's the reason to not use it?

The interior running light thing reflects against the windshield and is seriously annoying. Total waste of whatever it cost them. Luckily, you can turn it off.

Glad to hear it can be turned off.