Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every word of this article. Seriously. Jody Westby deserves real kudos.
ON Topic

U. S. Lawmakers need to force ANY officials that hold regulatory authority, to submit MONTHLY financial statements to Congress, specifically detailing any brib --- I mean --- "tips" recieved! This action - might - reduce flagrant corruption in government.

[edited for readability]

Last edited:
Indeed, thanks for the correction, I totally didn't expect anyone to project a Q1 profit after Elon warned that Q1 will post a loss.

How can the Q1 consensus be profits??? SMH.
According to ETrade...
"The consensus of the 21 analysts covering TSLA for 1st quarter 2019 is a per share value of USD .50." (Profit)

My guess is many analysts have not updated their estimates since Elon's warning of a small loss. Or they are setting us up for another earnings "miss".

On the bright side... $290!

Indeed, thanks for the correction, I totally didn't expect anyone to project a Q1 profit after Elon warned that Q1 will post a loss.

How can the Q1 consensus be profits??? SMH.
Indeed. My first - and continued - reaction upon seeing that number was conspiratorial:

"Good grief. Are we about to see yet another quarter in which estimates are helium-bagged™ in order to slam the company and the stock price once 1Q results come in?".

So, a call-out once again for the demonstrated estimates. I didn't tag the contributor who has access either to FactSet or the other agglomerators, but here's a call-out to him or her.

According to ETrade...
"The consensus of the 21 analysts covering TSLA for 1st quarter 2019 is a per share value of USD .50." (Profit)

My guess is many analysts have not updated their estimates since Elon's warning of a small loss. Or they are setting us up for another earnings "miss".

On the bright side... $290!

Feels so weird that $290 is "the bright side" :Þ

There's only two things that I want to hear in the Model Y reveal:
  • Deliveries will be starting in either Q4 '19 or Q1 '20, with full production by ~Q4 '21.
  • Any evidence that tooling progress is in a much more advanced stage than the market believes.
It seems that the main market expectation is that Model Y will be a year later than that, and this would be a huge beat. If the unveiling includes the above, I'll be grinning ear to ear. Regardless of whether there's a "just one more thing" or not. Which there very well might not be (there isn't always).

I’d like to hear a clear comparison of the Y and several so-called “Tesla killers” specs, complete with a FUD busting spec chart.

That is, by running down storage space, seating, range, acceleration, safety, etc., Tesla can quite clearly demonstrate most of these cars are sub-par Model Y category vehicles (I wouldn’t even say “competitors”) at Model X prices.

Wouldn’t expect the media to actually repeat this fundamental demonstration of how far ahead Tesla’s products are, but could be very helpful for Tesla to publish such a “Tesla Killer” false narrative exposing chart.

So Teslas lawyers are playing the man (So to speak) not just the field.
Even though I have not read the judge's ruling, thanks to @Fact Checking, I think I have a pretty good understanding where this is going. With the implication that the judge seems to want to broaden the case, I believe Elon is licking his chops. IMO, Elon was very disappointed that the original complaint, filed against him last September, was not litigated. I say this because I am quite certain that Elon had/has actual proof that the SEC consulted with the shorts (or representatives of the shorts) in their "due diligence" to form the case against Elon. When Elon blurted out his "Short-seller Enrichment Commission" quote it wasn't merely a hasty jab at the SEC, I believe this was the product of his stewing and steaming, for days, about the information that he had but was not going to be able to use because, at the time, it made sense to settle and move on for the sake of the Company. I believe that the prospect of this circus going much further than the SEC wants to see it go, will prompt it find a way out sooner than later.

Every time I see this, I wonder why Larry did not do this already: buy 5B of tsla? This is what, 10% of his net worth?

This is why I also kind of laugh when people always say Tesla will go bankrupt. Elon is well connected in Silicon Valley and commands a lot of respect from guys like Page and Larry Ellison, Peter Thiel etc.

In 2008/2009 when Tesla ALMOST when Bankrupt with the recession Elon had a handshake deal with Page to buy Tesla.

Regarding Musk's recent Twitter activity:

This is confirming that the mission comes first. Musk wants to make sure all the people who can't afford the cars and can't afford self-driving features can get them. His instinct is to sell everything as cheaply as possible in order to get cars in more people's hands.

In fact, it makes sense to charge what the market will bear so that Tesla has more cash to expand faster... but that's not Musk's instinct, because he's driven by the mission, not by profits.

I think this is very, very hard for most of Wall Street to understand -- which is why they're misinterpreting everything that's happening lately. They're obsessed with profits, so they assume that Musk is too.

The idea that he released the $35K car now, as soon as he possibly could, *because he wants to keep his promise the reservation holders who have been waiting for it*, is just alien to the profits-uber-alles mentality on Wall Street. So they can't imagine that that's why he did it. They can't imagine sacrificing profits to get the cars in the hands of loyal customers -- even though that's what Tesla has been doing all along.

THIS misunderstanding will persist forever. Wall Street will never understand a company which has a goal which comes before profits.
Agreed.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and wipster
It would be great if Elon was aware enough to realize that much of his online behavior is distructive to Tesla and it’s mission

Yes, horrible online behavior such as "posting a picture of cars loading for Europe along with a 'look at how far we've come' statement". They should totally lock him up and throw away the keys for that.

Yes, horrible online behavior such as "posting a picture of cars loading for Europe along with a 'look at how far we've come' statement". They should totally lock him up and throw away the keys for that.

I actually think the 500k tweet and ensuing fallout is what his "fate loves irony" tweet was referencing. If I recall correctly, the SEC had already reached out to Tesla at that point.

I know i live in a bubble, but I see many messages like that on twitter and here as well. Here is hoping this could turn Q1 around. If it does that would be a big surprise to the markets.

My local Tesla owner Facebook group is closing in on 20 confirmed upgrades, a decent mix of Model 3 at $2k and S/X at $3k. And that's just the members that semi-publicly confirmed their purchase. That's a floor of ~$50k incremental revenue from existing owners in one small neck of the woods, with the actual Colorado region being far higher than that.