Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battle erupts in California over when to open

US weekly jobless claims hit 3.84 million, topping 30 million over the last 6 weeks

Few things I have in my mind:
  • Many non-essential workers now feel disfranchised.
  • The unemployment rate is +3M per week. That is way higher than the currentpcurrent R-0.
  • Republican had pitted "common sense" approach to attract these disfranchised workers.
  • Democrat Presidential nominee is stuck in sexual scandal limbo.
The coming election will be a tough fight for Democrat. While Democrat touts their "flatten the curve" success, they need to be carful not to alienate non-essential workers. After all, Democrat has been portraited as pro "labors" but the definition of "essential" is muddy as best.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/25/essential-business-guns-dispensaries/

The next following weeks will be key for Democrat governors. They could keep stating that they are saving lives, but truth is living encompasses a lot of things other than breathing and physical health. If living is worse than thedthe risk of dying, that's when people will revolt.

Good stuff this. Octopus Energy, with whom Tesla are said to be partnering, is a small niche 100% renewable energy supplier here in the UK. I'm excited! When I get my Model 3, I'll be able to power it with Tesla electricity.
Only question now - is it a car company, a software company, a battery company, an energy company, or a solar company? :)

The next following weeks will be key for Democrat governors. They could keep stating that they are saving lives, but truth is living encompasses a lot of things other than breathing and physical health. If living is worse than thedthe risk of dying, that's when people will revolt.

This whole situation has huge potential for mismanagement and overcorrection. It's conflicting to pay people a lot of money (sometimes more than what they were paid when employed) to stay home (and sacrifice a lot of their freedoms), and then ask them if they're ok with the stay home orders. People fail to understand that the money they're getting will need to be paid back in some form.

I’m thinking Cody and others with respect to Tesla are also concerned about how you get busloads of workers from central valley to work when they have to sit on a bus for how many minutes/hour and keep them all safe. What I don’t get is why Tesla having GigaShangai already following masks etc protocols at work didn’t bring over masks and instill some of those precautions in Fremont really early. With their connections would think they could have gotten the supplies but maybe not. Taking a proactive approach might have helped and kept people safe at work and given officials some framework to consider.

I suppose however thinking more on it, the problem exists when all the workers leave work without protection and go home to family and buy groceries when the virus was here and spreading somewhat silently. And no masks available for the general public. Not sure any early protection on a work level would have kept workers and others safe in the end as a result.

This pandemic is really a mess. So how long before we should anticipate higher testing and hospital numbers after some restrictions are being lifted? Monday our electrician is coming to the house to upgrade a main panel (all outside work). First time our City is permitting this since March 9. Then will be waiting for Tesla’s Solar/PW work to be allowed and inspected. Less sure of that as the guys aren’t working alone But in pairs or small teams although everything will be outside and inside our garage (no interior house entry). But would be nice for the Solar crews to start working in early May. I see construction companies out there working on local shopping center projects during this time so not so sure how the work differs.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: shootformoon
877B453C-4916-4F7C-A5B7-BB7CB05B1BC8.jpeg

Idaho has a long reputation for being one of the epicenters of white supremacist movements though. You guys will really need to work on that before you can move on from anything really.
yeah but that's just a few weirdos up in the deep woods of the northern panhandle--it's practically part of Canada.
Then again, southern Idaho is currently hosting that Ammon Bundy idiot that led the armed takeover of the federal wildlife refuge in eastern Oregon a few years ago, yet miraculously avoided a prison sentence due to the federal prosecutor's incompetence. Maybe we do have some things to work on... :oops:
No place is perfect, though, didn't Ted Bundy hail from WA back in the day? ;)

Reactions: wtlloyd
Amazingly, I've actually found Fox to be really the only main stream news network that is generally always positive on Musk and Tesla.

They usually always report as it is without any bias or clickbait headline.

Maybe you all should reconsider Fox news. I have and found a much more balanced discussion about everything.

Have you considered that the majority of MSM has become extremely liberal yet constantly bashes and lies about Tesla and Elon? Have you considered the possibility they are doing this with everything else?

Sigh... why does everyone think that Washington ends at the Cascades? The east side isn't Bellevue. The majority of the state is beautiful shrub-steppe environment and where I live (where the mighty Columbia turns north and intersects with the Snake and the Yakima) the sun shines 300 days a year and we average 7" of rain annually. We're surrounded by so many wonderful wineries I've lost track and the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (which would make a fantastic partner for Tesla) is in our backyard. Power costs just over 7 cents per kwh and home prices are extremely low compared to the West side of the state. Two interstates, the Railroad, a recently upgraded airport, along with the river provide great transportation as well. I guess the only bad thing about living here is the wind, which at times doesn't just blow, it sucks.

But my point is there is a lot more to Washington than Seattle. Kind of like the undiscovered country, at least from a manufacturing perspective. And while I've traveled all around the US in a prior life, there is no place I'd rather live... well maybe Kelowna, but that's for another time.

Kind of pointless discussion because I don’t see Tesla moving up there but to each his own. Tesla does well up there in sales but California is its best customer and tech workers still want to be in silicon valley area for the wide range of jobs and general locale. I guess you have lots of Costco locations there for toilet paper during this time ;). But just saw that you also have these guys to contend with in addition to the virus. Not sure which would be more painful. Tracking the ‘Murder Hornet’: A Deadly Pest Has Reached North America
Yukima river? Hmm isn’t there still the issue of nuclear waste seeping into the water there or have they been able to contain it? Going solar and wind here in Calif instead of nuclear does have it’s advantages. Good for Teslas Energy division. If only we had a reliable source of rain for our hydro.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eugene Ash
Shelter in place brings out the mental illness in everyone.

Depends on the person. Before this current situation I would often go days without seeing another person, so shelter in place has minimal effect on me, I've been practicing for years. I always have plenty of projects to keep me busy.
I'm definitely not having any mental issues, no matter what the voices keep telling me.

I’m thinking Cody and others with respect to Tesla are also concerned about how you get busloads of workers from central valley to work when they have to sit on a bus for how many minutes/hour and keep them all safe. What I don’t get is why Tesla having GigaShangai already following masks etc protocols at work didn’t bring over masks and instill some of those precautions in Fremont really early. With their connections would think they could have gotten the supplies but maybe not. Taking a proactive approach might have helped and kept people safe at work and given officials some framework to consider.

I suppose however thinking more on it, the problem exists when all the workers leave work without protection and go home to family and buy groceries when the virus was here and spreading somewhat silently. And no masks available for the general public. Not sure any early protection on a work level would have kept workers and others safe in the end as a result.

This pandemic is really a mess. So how long before we should anticipate higher testing and hospital numbers after some restrictions are being lifted? Monday our electrician is coming to the house to upgrade a main panel (all outside work). First time our City is permitting this since March 9. Then will be waiting for Tesla’s Solar/PW work to be allowed and inspected. Less sure of that as the guys aren’t working alone But in pairs or small teams although everything will be outside and inside our garage (no interior house entry). But would be nice for the Solar crews to start working in early May. I see construction companies out there working on local shopping center projects during this time so not so sure how the work differs.

Have these Bay Area health officials considered learn something from the East? Like Japan, South Korea or Taiwan if they like to stick with democratic government?

Sometimes I felt that we were reinventing wheels here where the countries went through SARS already has effective protocols in place. I felt like a lot of policy here were not really established on 100% science. There are mix of ego in place, such as CDC decided to make their own test kits.

How about a 2,500:1 stock split so there are the same number of shares as Apple. That would make the current share price $0.28. A real penny stock!
You have to have a stock price greater than $1/share (or is it $2?) to remain listed on NASDAQ.

Edit: AAPL market cap is 9.78x TSLA. Split of around 24:1 would roughly equalize the number of shares (which would drift over time anyway, since the two companies issue different stock grants), and have TSLA trading around $29/share.

Last edited:
On the subject of California:
Many are so quick to criticize California; consider what your world would be like without California. Hell, you’re probably reading this on an IPhone or some computer designed in California. Surfs up! Y’all be cool.

Yeah, but Texans innovated oil extraction and showed the Saudi Royalty how to develop their resources. Oklahoma developed ways to store and transport all that valuable oil.

Without those important contributions, we would probably STILL be driving electric-powered cars!

Er, wait a minute.... o_O

Battle erupts in California over when to open

US weekly jobless claims hit 3.84 million, topping 30 million over the last 6 weeks

Few things I have in my mind:
  • Many non-essential workers now feel disfranchised.
  • The unemployment rate is +3M per week. That is way higher than the currentpcurrent R-0.
  • Republican had pitted "common sense" approach to attract these disfranchised workers.
  • Democrat Presidential nominee is stuck in sexual scandal limbo.
The coming election will be a tough fight for Democrat. While Democrat touts their "flatten the curve" success, they need to be carful not to alienate non-essential workers. After all, Democrat has been portraited as pro "labors" but the definition of "essential" is muddy as best.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/25/essential-business-guns-dispensaries/

Not only is the Democratic candidate stuck in a sexual scandal that is exposing the whole parties hypocrisy he is mentally going downhill quickly. We all should be concerned about this type of mental decline. I know many of you could careless as long as Trump is gone but I would advise you think a little bit harder about the puppet they want to be Prez. The pandemic politics are firing up the Trump base and pulling a lot of independents, like me, to give Trump another look.

It is going to be Trump 2020 for the easy win. I've given this a lot of thought and his policies will be the best thing for Tesla. Even though they don't appear to be at first blush if you dive deeper you see that it is all positive for Tesla with Trump 2020, imo. You have to get over all the bologna propaganda that the democratic party and MSM is spewing to see this---- but they are full of it from racial justice to climate change.

Bon Voyage to all the haters.

Last edited:
Maybe you all should reconsider Fox news. I have and found a much more balanced discussion about everything.

Have you considered that the majority of MSM has become extremely liberal yet constantly bashes and lies about Tesla and Elon? Have you considered the possibility they are doing this with everything else?

A healthy dose of skeptism is always good. For example, MSM first said wearing face masks doesn't help then NYT said it reduced spreading COVID weeks later.
No, You Do Not Need Face Masks To Prevent Coronavirus—They Might Increase Your Infection Risk

C.D.C. Weighs Advising Everyone to Wear a Mask

I wore masks from the beginning because I have went through SARS. The purpose is to block the airflow and reduce the distance of spread. It's physics! Nothing magical. But MSM portraits mask as ineffective or immoral.

I had a feeling being punched in the gut when Bay Area health officials ask everyone not to wear masks during the early phase of COVID. I knew it would be a disaster and increased the risk of community transmission. And now here we are.