Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's certainly possible, they can probably meet 360k 2019 deliveries without GF3 - so GF3 will help Q1 instead. Shifting GF3 depreciation and amortization to Q1 should also help Q4 margins.

Hence "wildcard" - the PR and marketing advantage from Q4 GF3 deliveries would be significant.

Can Tesla afford to sit on inventory and not deliver them?

To: Tesla fanboy
Subject: price-capping

Outrageous, price-capping manipulation today...

Well, I'm glad you think its "Outrageous" but I'm pretty disappointed.
If we didn't have weak willed shorts, we would have pushed it back under 350.
There is no reason it should be rising. There's no good news and no bad news.
It should be sinking like a rock.

Could I interest you in shorting a few thousand shares ?
I'll wave the interest for the first 90 days.

Come on. Don't you want to be a millionaire ?

Sincerely
Boss Short

Can Tesla afford to sit on inventory and not deliver them?
With 10 billion in the bank? Sure, their cash flow can wait a couple weeks.

My question is: will this appear as in-transit finished cars, or inventory / WIP? 'They aren't done. We didn't put in the UMC yet'

Edit: @Doggydogworld reminds me that Tesla does not report in transit anymore.

Last edited:
@Troy's latest delivery estimates are out:

Up from 104k to 106k and optimistic about demand.

I agree with this mostly my estimate is 105k Q4 deliveries: Fremont production was probably around 7k/week in this quarter, supporting 90k Model 3's - plus 15k S/X.

GF3 is a wildcard of maybe 2k additional deliveries.

I also like it how Troy's early estimates are close to the end-of-quarter estimates.

i think 100k is still very darn good!

they won’t sandbag.
but they’re in position where they don’t have to. any in transit for Q1 will be beneficial.

question - will they break out MIC deliveries from MIUS?

Reactions: SpaceCash
Outrageous, price-capping manipulation today...

I noticed this pattern a few weeks ago: FAANG rallies (there was a smaller Nasdaq rally today of +0.40%) cap TSLA, macro drops support TSLA.

Hypothesis: long-short funds have maxed out their shorting power, but are able to short more TSLA if their long positions rise in mark-to-market value.

There might also be end of year portfolio deleveraging as well.

Weird price action indeed.

With 10 billion in the bank? Sure, their cash flow can wait a couple weeks.

My question is: will this appear as in-transit finished cars, or inventory / WIP? 'They aren't done. We didn't put in the UMC yet'
10 billion, lol.

Tesla does not report in-transit. There's no reason to report them as WIP nor would the auditors smile on that. I don't see any reason to exclude them in the P&D report, either, though they may call them out separately. As to the original question, it doesn't cost Tesla anything to hold cars in inventory until Q1, except a few pennies of interest. It also moves revenue and expenses from Q4 into Q1, which they may or may not care about. In general it's better to just run the business and ignore accounting games.

I was implying that there would be no 'Open" short positions that are "in the money" at $389.62. We can't say that today.
Isn't this correct?

This is correct - no individual short trade can be in the money at an ATH, but you said 'no one can be in the money shorting when a stock is at an all-time high', which to me implied you didn't know what you were talking about :)

2019 range hit seems a lock either way, so Tesla doesn't need to play games with inventory anymore. 4Q or 1Q it's a win.

As long as forward guidance is sandbagged from here on out, we're all set.

Q1 is difficult to get QoQ increases. Delaying GF3 sales allows Tesla to negate seasonality and provide a delivery increase. It also buffers things for the transition to locally produced packs versus the ones imported from GF1 (reportedly only 7k or so). Better to delay and have steady output than start delivery and have to stop. If they sold in Q4, then had hiccups in Q1, it could result in a numbers reduction which media would jump all over.

So Porsche is trying to convince people that the EPA testing does not reflect reality. Maybe its my age, but you'd have no argument from me there -- but it would go in the opposite direction. Few people ever got the sticker mileage and, at least in my neck of the woods, its a running joke.

So either I'm completely out of touch, or Porsche is desperately (but likely uselessly) trying to pull a wizard of Oz routine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not wanting to turn this into the taycan’t thread, but thought it worth pointing that even the $35.4k basic model 3 SR has better range:

C6B8127C-C8DF-48B5-9589-EE6C481D54A6.jpeg