Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Porsche is trying to convince people that the EPA testing does not reflect reality. Maybe its my age, but you'd have no argument from me there -- but it would go in the opposite direction. Few people ever got the sticker mileage and, at least in my neck of the woods, its a running joke.

So either I'm completely out of touch, or Porsche is desperately (but likely uselessly) trying to pull a wizard of Oz routine.
Next you know they're going to hire the Eagles to sing "Taycan... to the limit... one more time..."

Outrageous, price-capping manipulation today...

I agree.
What's nice though is looking at a 5 day chart....the Trend is my Friend:

upload_2019-12-11_16-20-15.png

Next you know they're going to hire the Eagles to sing "Taycan... to the limit... one more time..."
Would that be the theme of a Taycan road trip? Struggling to the very limit of range, just one more time, to reach the destination :D

Or would it be, "I think I can, I think Taycan" as they limp into the charger :eek:

So, does that foreshadow a cross Russia, Mega Charger enabled, Tesla semi roadtrain enabling, system for shipping cars from both Europe and China?

Don't forget that when boring company completes a Bering strait tunnel, that you will be able to drive from the southern tip of South America to Europe or South Africa if one wanted.

There will be 0 deliveries from GF3

Leaning that way too (Wuwa stated something about deliveries scheduled to start early in January, "later than expected"). I hope they have lots of parking area to warehouse production though, at the rate it's been ramping up ;)

Net result: higher margins, but lots of in-transit inventory. Q1 gets a big boost.

Last edited:
So Porsche is trying to convince people that the EPA testing does not reflect reality. Maybe its my age, but you'd have no argument from me there -- but it would go in the opposite direction. Few people ever got the sticker mileage and, at least in my neck of the woods, its a running joke.

So either I'm completely out of touch, or Porsche is desperately (but likely uselessly) trying to pull a wizard of Oz routine.

It's also a nice trick. Manufacturers are not allowed to advertise numbers other than EPA.

They can just let the media do the job for them. Learning from Tesla.

It's also a nice trick. Manufacturers are not allowed to advertise numbers other than EPA.

They can just let the media do the job for them. Learning from Tesla.
I get that. The article was certainly quick to play up the "not really real" aspect of EPA testing. But I think people are more inclined to think the EPA numbers are overly optimistic. I could be wrong, but I don't expect them to con many people.

I get that. The article was certainly quick to play up the "not really real" aspect of EPA testing. But I think people are more inclined to think the EPA numbers are overly optimistic. I could be wrong, but I don't expect them to con many people.

I don’t expect any different from a company that once conned it’s own customers via emissions cheat device. EV is a different game, but same ole Porsche.....

Don't forget that when boring company completes a Bering strait tunnel, that you will be able to drive from the southern tip of South America to Europe or South Africa if one wanted.

Yeah, but I can't find any superchargers near the Bering strait. How large a battery will the Cybertruck get again?

Apart from that it would be an epic trip from Tierra del Fuego in southern Argentina to North Cape in Norway - from pole to pole and around the world in one fantastic trip!

Thanks - 201 miles on 93.5 kWh is unbelievably bad. Worse than even pre-update i-Pace despite much less frontal area. How did Porsche screw this up so badly? BTW, they got "independent" AMCI to certify it at 275 "real world" miles. Hmmm.

Too bad Taycan didn't do the recent e-Cannonball rally in Germany. It's not scientific since teams can be tripped up by traffic, bad strategy, etc. But it's still interesting. Model 3s cleaned up, taking the top 6 spots and the only times under 9 hours (~800 km). Kona, e-Tron and a 28 kWh Ioniq (!!) finished 7/8/9. The best Model S placed 11th at just under 10 hours. Ioniqs also placed 14th and 18th, so not a fluke. You can see basic results on this video. If anyone has links to the actual spreadsheet I'd be obliged.

I don't ascribe much value to times over 11 hours, a lot of entrants probably just had fun sightseeing and enjoying long lunches or whatever. But the Opel Ampera-e (aka Chevy Bolt), Nissan Leaf and Renault Zoes were all 13+ hours. And the only Jaguar i-Pace took 17 hours!

It's probably a result of using their two-speed transmission. The transmission is going to add losses on both the acceleration and deceleration side.