Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Product Announcement at noon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doubt the announcement will be anything hardware related (i.e. autopilot 2.0, new battery pack) as this could jeopardize Q3 deliveries…specifically cars that are in transit that do not have the new hardware could be refused by their owners which would negatively impact delivery expectations.

Also, historically, Tesla has made hardware announcements during the first couple of weeks of a new quarter (dual motor, ludicrous mode etc.) for exactly this reason.

Guess we will find out very soon!
Or the new deliveries already have the new hardware after the announcement ;)

P100D which will be advertised to do 0-60 in 2.5seconds, but will only achieve 2.653seconds for the first year until they start putting in the 110kw battery in without telling people.

Also, they "fixed" the nav, but broke about a dozen other critical components.

• Funny
Reactions: supratachophobia
Of course the 100 KWh pack will be announced. I suspect AP 2.0 will also be announced however AP 2.0 is NOT the same as will be announced with Model 3 unveil part deux. I suspect v8.0 will also be discussed and included.

I also thought the S interior might receive an slight improvement to bring it in line with the X. Finally, I am also expecting a rework of the heating and AC to include Heat Pump technology which should arrive before next Winter.

Looking forward to the announcement!

Reactions: sandpiper
From a source a few minutes ago. This source is generally quiet about Tesla internal happenings but has never once given me incorrect information about an upcoming Tesla product change.

1. 100 kwh battery. All 90s shipped since early august software upgradeable at cost.
2. AP 2.0 not available until late next year.
3. Interior upgrade for MS to match X

The source is my dog.

:)

Sounds reasonable. 100kWh battery and MS interior upgrade. Maybe also 8.0.

Some kind of battery technology/packaging announcement for Tesla Energy and possibly for Tesla Motors as well. It's not something that will be available soon, hence a press announcement rather than a full-blown product reveal event.
Then tesla announced 90 and Ludicrous there was just an conference call so if the update is 100 kWh they don't need a event.

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
From a source a few minutes ago. This source is generally quiet about Tesla internal happenings but has never once given me incorrect information about an upcoming Tesla product change.

1. 100 kwh battery. All 90s shipped since early august software upgradeable at cost.
2. AP 2.0 not available until late next year.
3. Interior upgrade for MS to match X

The source is my dog.

:)

I agree with your dog

Tesla is trying hard to stimulate Q3 demand, so this won't be anything that hurts that (e.g. product that doesn't apply to cars already in the pipeline). All the orders in transit need to find this neutral or appealing.

AP 2.0
I don't think it'll be AP 2.0 because the hardware started shipping a week or two ago at best. There are a ton of cars in the pipeline without it that would be rejected. I also think they'd really like to have a proper party for this one - which requires a pipeline full of equipped cars like the AP 1.0 announcement. My guess with AP 2.0 is that they'll ship the hardware through Aug-Sept and then have party in early Q4.

100 BATTERIES
This makes total sense. There is good evidence that these have been in production for a while as restricted 90's, so the pipeline is full of these cars and few cars will be rejected. Further, Tesla can realize a major boost to their margins by announcing all 90 owners can upgrade. The 100 announcement will spur demand for Q3 and boost margins on cars being delivered now. Since restricted 90's are reaching customers it only makes sense to announce an upgrade option to take their money.

POWERWALL/PACK
Tesla isn't going to be making gigafactory cells for Tesla Energy until Oct-Nov and they are already over booked for their meagre production trickle until then, so there's nothing to gain with an announcement now.

OTHER
There's no chance it's going to be SolarCity related since the merger isn't done. It could be folding seats for the X since this won't impact Q3 too badly. Software version 8 is a possibility. Announcements about future products (e.g. Model Y) is very unlikely because Tesla already has too much long term sizzle and is in need of more short term steak.

Reactions: vigge50
Remember, there is a difference between Tesla announcement and Tesla PRODUCT announcement.

So forget FW 8.0, M3 reveal date etc.

Likeliest is just 100kWh battery pack. Next possibility is AP2 as anything solar related is too early due to unfinished SCTY merger including solar inverters and I also think powerwall and pack upgrades.