Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- drive unit whine up to 20 kW of power and sometimes more
- clunking when transitioning between driving and regen

My car has both of these, and I'll get them addresses next time the car is in for service, or possibly next year at the annual service visit. They are a little annoying, but not serious.

Given the recent deluded of problems I have been reading on this forum, I am surprised the model S got such a high rating in most reviews.

The thing you have to realize about forums like this is that people mostly post about the problems they are having, and very few people post that they have zero issues with new, CPO or Inventory cars. I bought a 2013 Inventory car last year, and have essentially zero issues with it.

I was fortunate that my issues were quickly resolved in the 1st week. My issues were.

Acorns from an oak tree inside the frunk lid rattling when the frunk was opened or closed - acorns removed
Crack in the windshield - replaced
Nose cone had 5 drill holes - replaced
Wrong rims on car when delivered (car had std 19" rims and should have had grey 21" rims) - rims replaced with new and new tires
Carbon fiber spoiler was missing from vehicle - added
"P85" badge was missing from rear - added
ambient lighting on rear passenger door wired backwards (was off when the other doors were on and vice-versa) - repaired
12V positive jump post replaced per bulletin - replaced

Since every item was fixed within 7 days of delivery, and I have had no subsequent issues, I have pretty much forgotten about it. I'm sure there were other items that they had fixed prior to delivery as well (they definitely repainted the front bumper and put replacement paint armor on).

Wow, the paint in that last photo looks like it was rubbed off down to the primer. Sorry to hear you've had so many issues with your car. I'm currently deciding between purchasing new or getting a CPO, but I'm starting to lean towards new...

New cars have issues too. My less than 4 week car had the door handle replaced because it stopped working. And a couple other minor things looked at/fixed.

I was fortunate that my issues were quickly resolved in the 1st week. My issues were.

Acorns from an oak tree inside the frunk lid rattling when the frunk was opened or closed - acorns removed
Wrong rims on car when delivered (car had std 19" rims and should have had grey 21" rims) - rims replaced with new and new tires
ambient lighting on rear passenger door wired backwards (was off when the other doors were on and vice-versa) - repaired

Since every item was fixed within 7 days of delivery, and I have had no subsequent issues, I have pretty much forgotten about it. I'm sure there were other items that they had fixed prior to delivery as well (they definitely repainted the front bumper and put replacement paint armor on).

Sounds like a pretty solid experience.

Hey, if you don't mind...

VIN?
Mileage @ pickup?
Mon/Yr build?

TIA

This is really helpful hearing about the CPO ownership. This will be the most expensive vehicle I've ever bought & I value the input.

Outstanding:
- left scroll wheel doesn't always work
- driver front interior door handle doesn't always work
- drive unit whine up to 20 kW of power and sometimes more
- clunking when transitioning between driving and regen
- rear suspension bottoms out (suspension, not the car - car never hits ground) when going over speed bumps at 12 MPH on Very High air suspension. 11 it just rumbles over them, but at 12, it kicks me out of my seat because the car basically slams down on the suspension.
- headliner was being cleaned at pickup and thus, was wet. Now that its dry, there are smears and stains everywhere
- first detailing of the vehicle unveiled stick residue on front fender. Cleanup ended up removing clear coat of paint. Tesla asking me to have body shop make determination if original paint failure to see if it is something they will repaint. Otherwise, I'm out-of-pocket a repaint.

I guess I can have Tesla look at some of these soon. Some of them I hadn't even told them about yet as I like to first eliminate if its user-error. For instance, in one of our other cars, pulling the door level when the car is locked will unlock the car, but not open the door. A second pull will actually unlatch the door. So I have tried to be cognizant if that is what is happening when I think the door handle isn't opening the car.

In any event, Tesla just left me a message saying they want the car for a day to so a proactive "power switch" replacement from what Engineering HQ is seeing. Based on a search here, this sounds like the proactive contactor replacement program. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and they will clear out most of my laundry list here. :)

P04093 / 18,300 / 2013, February I believe

Thanks, pard.

Both you and Cyclone bought within the first couple weeks after the CPO site went live, correct? Bummed to hear of his issues. And that paint...ugh.

Thanks, pard.

Both you and Cyclone bought within the first couple weeks after the CPO site went live, correct? Bummed to hear of his issues. And that paint...ugh.

We bought within 3 minutes of each other and I believe live within 3 miles of each other. I've already had one friend call me to tell me they saw me driving down the street to then realize through the conversation they saw Drucifer.

Also, it is important to note that the rear scratch was seen and Tesla immediately stepped up to the plate and said they will get it repainting as it should have been caught during reconditioning. The front fender they want me to have their shop make a determination because their position is that it wasn't visible to be defective when I picked up and they have no record of a Tesla-authorized work in that area previously. So they said that if this is a original paint failure, they will get it fixed. But if the previous owner had the work done without involving Tesla, it would not be covered as part of the reconditioning. As such, I would up the creek to get it fixed myself. One of those things that "I wish I knew previously" was to learn about how to check for paintwork so I could have seen about finding this problem area up front and having it noted as a delivery punch-list item.

Thoughts on this one?

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/preowned/P21510

I ask only because I live here and I could pick it up with no transport fee.

Seems like a fair price. It's got just about every option except RFS & no Dual Chargers, two items a lot of people can do without. FYI - that VIN is just before they started doing power folding mirrors. Not a deal breaker, but just so you know.

If it were me, I'd pass, but my criteria is different from yours no doubt. I'm only looking at VIN 26XXX and later (basically Dec 2013 onward), and four digit mileage. I'm not a fan of lacewood and there were some care issues brought up, but that's a pretty minor consideration. Local is a nice consideration, hopefully less wait time.

Is that true NO TRANSPORT FEE? I just presumed $500 was if it's in my market, and it goes up from there. That is pretty sweet if they don't impose any fee.

ETA: I think it's a fair price. You can find VIN above and below it similarly priced (or explainable differences due to mileage), and ditto for other cars with similar odometer reading. It's not a steal but if it's got what you're looking for, go for it. Life's short and we're not getting any younger.

Is that true NO TRANSPORT FEE? I just presumed $500 was if it's in my market, and it goes up from there. That is pretty sweet if they don't impose any fee.

$500 if they move it within market (sometimes that definition is blurred like between DC -> Charlotte, which was 400 miles and considered "within market" cost). However, picking it up at the "home store/service center" will indeed be $0.

I know this is probably a difficult question for other people to answer, since everyone has their own personal considerations regarding whether a particular Model S is a smart buy, but I just learned that the S85 that I placed a deposit for yesterday comes with the textile interior (wasn't specifically listed), and I'm debating whether or not to look for another CPO vehicle. Here is my config:

S85 / 2012 / 27,820 miles / Blue Metallic / Textile / Body Color Roof / 19" wheels / Obeche Matte / Tech Package / Active Air Suspension / Sound Studio Package

The price was $51,400, which seemed pretty good for an S85, albeit a 2012 model with some miles. Ideally, I would have preferred if the car had the Panoramic roof and 21" turbine wheels, and gray interior would have been nice. But the low price initially sold me, and I figured it was worth it for me to give up the roof and wheels for the savings. Now I'm thinking I might want to upgrade the wheels in any event, and the textile interior has me second guessing the purchase.

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on whether it's worth the cost savings to go with the textile interior (and forgo the pano roof and 21" wheels)?

I know this is probably a difficult question for other people to answer, since everyone has their own personal considerations regarding whether a particular Model S is a smart buy, but I just learned that the S85 that I placed a deposit for yesterday comes with the textile interior (wasn't specifically listed), and I'm debating whether or not to look for another CPO vehicle. Here is my config:

S85 / 2012 / 27,820 miles / Blue Metallic / Textile / Body Color Roof / 19" wheels / Obeche Matte / Tech Package / Active Air Suspension / Sound Studio Package

The price was $51,400, which seemed pretty good for an S85, albeit a 2012 model with some miles. Ideally, I would have preferred if the car had the Panoramic roof and 21" turbine wheels, and gray interior would have been nice. But the low price initially sold me, and I figured it was worth it for me to give up the roof and wheels for the savings. Now I'm thinking I might want to upgrade the wheels in any event, and the textile interior has me second guessing the purchase.

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on whether it's worth the cost savings to go with the textile interior (and forgo the pano roof and 21" wheels)?

Having had 21" wheels in the past, I would avoid them like the plague. Lots of threads on this, and you'll get conflicting opinions.