Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, newbie member here. I just placed a deposit for a CPO 2012 S85 configured with 19" wheels and had a few questions:

(1) Does anyone know whether it's possible to upgrade to the 21" tires/wheels before pick-up, and what Tesla typically charges for the upgrade?
(2) Did the 2012 models come with parking sensors?
(3) Are there any significant hardware updates that I'm missing out on with a MY2012 versus 2013/14? I know I'm missing out on Auto Pilot features.

Thanks!

Hi everyone, newbie member here. I just placed a deposit for a CPO 2012 S85 configured with 19" wheels and had a few questions:

(1) Does anyone know whether it's possible to upgrade to the 21" tires/wheels before pick-up, and what Tesla typically charges for the upgrade?
(3) Are there any significant hardware updates that I'm missing out on with a MY2012 versus 2013/14? I know I'm missing out on Auto Pilot features.

Thanks!

Congrats!!

1. I'm not sure what the cost is but I would imagine its possible at full retail. $5500? Your better off going through the classifieds section and picking up a set half price.

2. No parking sensors....I believe they started late 2013....

3. I think electro chromatic folding mirrors., parcel shelf depending if the orig owner had it.? , smaller visors, cruise control and turning signal stalked reversed

someone correct me if I'm wrong or missing anything

Thanks!

You are not getting autopilot, parking sensors, next gen seats and power folding mirrors, primarily. You should be able to trade your 19s (probably along with some cash) for 21s after you get the car. Buying 21s from Tesla is a $5500 deal. If you want that style, you can do much better with aftermarket rims that look very similar....or a trade.

Thanks shadowninstallz and Drucifer, very helpful! Do you know whether it's possible to retrofit the parking sensors? The Model S is not what I would consider a smallish car, so I think having parking sensors would be a nice daily convenience. I think I can sacrifice the other upgrades for the price savings (although auto pilot does sound cool).

Thanks shadowninstallz and Drucifer, very helpful! Do you know whether it's possible to retrofit the parking sensors? The Model S is not what I would consider a smallish car, so I think having parking sensors would be a nice daily convenience. I think I can sacrifice the other upgrades for the price savings (although auto pilot does sound cool).

Retrofits are super expensive. The power folding mirrors are around $1400. The sensors are probably way more than that. The backup camera with the software update providing curving guide lines is very good. I don't miss the sensors, and I had them on my last car.

Retrofits are super expensive. The power folding mirrors are around $1400. The sensors are probably way more than that. The backup camera with the software update providing curving guide lines is very good. I don't miss the sensors, and I had them on my last car.

Thanks. I think I'll learn to live without the sensors. I just hope the car comes in good condition. Have people been pretty happy with their CPO cars? Mine is a 2012 model with about 28k miles, so it's one of the older cars out there.

They would give you the value of the 40, unlock the battery at zero cost, and sell it as a 60. So it cost them $2 for the "60" on the back :)
~$40 for those emblems.

- - - Updated - - -

P85D just popped up: 85 kWh Performance Model S P65127 | Tesla Motors

Not sure why you'd buy it though - Production times are around 4 weeks and the price is essentially the same as if you ordered the car like that brand new...
:confused:
For comparison, my inventory P85D was ~$114k in April with ~2,800 miles and a 69,xxx VIN.

Differences (mine vs. this):
- Inventory vs. CPO [worth $7,500 to me]
- Purchased in June in WA [worth 9.5% tax savings to me]
- Silver vs. Pearl white
- Cyclone vs. "OEM" 19s
- Black NG vs. Tan NG
- No lighting package on mine vs. Premium Interior Package (different configurator packagings as well)
- No subzero on mine
- No rear-facing seats on mine
- Twin Chargers vs. unspecified
- Self closing charge port vs. unspecified
- Mine has > 10,000 miles on it now ;)

First off, newbie here as well so hello to everyone.

Dusterbuster, can't say for sure about all of them but my CPO car was in great shape, nearly perfect. Picked up my 2013 P85 with 25,000miles, vin <6000, on Last Saturday and couldn't be happier, already added nearly 1000miles. Interior/exterior were detailed to as close to new as possible and tires and wheels look to be brand new, have the 21's and not a single scratch on them.

Got or a great deal, was planning on ordering new but couldn't pass it up since it had nearly all the options (really wanted next gen seats but the performance seats aren't bad) that I wanted. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

Heres my my cars details:
Grey P85, vin: 5689, Pano Roof, Tech Package, Air Suspension, Sound Studio Package, Grey Performance interior, Obeche Matte wood, 21in Grey wheels.

Dusterbuster, can't say for sure about all of them but my CPO car was in great shape, nearly perfect. Picked up my 2013 P85 with 25,000miles, vin <6000, on Last Saturday and couldn't be happier, already added nearly 1000miles. Interior/exterior were detailed to as close to new as possible and tires and wheels look to be brand new, have the 21's and not a single scratch on them.

Got or a great deal, was planning on ordering new but couldn't pass it up since it had nearly all the options (really wanted next gen seats but the performance seats aren't bad) that I wanted. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

Ditto, except 18,300 miles and have added about 1500 miles. Next Gen seats are really better, but I can get that next time.

I'm just about to hit 3k miles after 2 months of having my CPO that came with 31.5k miles. I've had a number of challenges and some still on-going. To a degree, I regret my decision to get a Tesla at this time. But I am taking it all in and giving the benefit of the doubt that part of this is my specific vehicle and part of this is my own personal situation with moving to a premium-type vehicle. I've learned a couple things over the past few months that I really wished I knew before I ever ordered, but overall I'm still happy. I am hoping by the time I get to 4 months I can finally use the car as I intended as a daily driver and road tripper rather than right now babying it as I get item after item fixed.

I'm just about to hit 3k miles after 2 months of having my CPO that came with 31.5k miles. I've had a number of challenges and some still on-going. To a degree, I regret my decision to get a Tesla at this time. But I am taking it all in and giving the benefit of the doubt that part of this is my specific vehicle and part of this is my own personal situation with moving to a premium-type vehicle. I've learned a couple things over the past few months that I really wished I knew before I ever ordered, but overall I'm still happy. I am hoping by the time I get to 4 months I can finally use the car as I intended as a daily driver and road tripper rather than right now babying it as I get item after item fixed.
What a bummer, what types of issues are you having?

What a bummer, what types of issues are you having?

Fixed:
- mirrors were seized and replaced
- pano roof smeared and its track was replaced
- trunk struck made knocking sound when opening/closing and was replaced
- cosmetic rust covering the rotor "covers/head" - not impacting functionality (will not be fixed since not impairing functionality of brakes)
- vehicle delivered with scratch on rear passenger quarter panel and rear bumper paint cracked and was repainted

Outstanding:
- left scroll wheel doesn't always work
- driver front interior door handle doesn't always work
- drive unit whine up to 20 kW of power and sometimes more
- clunking when transitioning between driving and regen
- rear suspension bottoms out (suspension, not the car - car never hits ground) when going over speed bumps at 12 MPH on Very High air suspension. 11 it just rumbles over them, but at 12, it kicks me out of my seat because the car basically slams down on the suspension.
- headliner was being cleaned at pickup and thus, was wet. Now that its dry, there are smears and stains everywhere
- first detailing of the vehicle unveiled stick residue on front fender. Cleanup ended up removing clear coat of paint. Tesla asking me to have body shop make determination if original paint failure to see if it is something they will repaint. Otherwise, I'm out-of-pocket a repaint.

Part of this I guess is nitpicking, but the volume of it has really bothered me. Meanwhile, due to unexpected expenses with the purchase, I am budgetting to get electrical work on the house done, so still charging on 120v. That was going to happen this month, but if I have to pay for the repaint, it will be another month or two before I can budget for the electrical. Additionally, another 60 days of downtime of the vehicle to let it cure before I'm allowed to wash or get it wrapped.

Pics of the body work, which ironically are what bother me the most for a car that is "reconditioned to like-new status".
MX7HJVn.jpg

ZQSt9On.jpg

bd6urAd.jpg

Last edited:

Ouch! That last pic looks really looks a little rough. Is the paint really rubbed off completely, like it appears in the picture?

Do you happen to have any friends/family that know much about electrical work? I'm by far an electrician, but managed to feed and install a new subpanel and NEMA 14-50, just to be sure I've got that part out of the way :wink:.

Ouch! That last pic looks really looks a little rough. Is the paint really rubbed off completely, like it appears in the picture?

Do you happen to have any friends/family that know much about electrical work? I'm by far an electrician, but managed to feed and install a new subpanel and NEMA 14-50, just to be sure I've got that part out of the way :wink:.

None of the Tesla-certified body shops are open when I'm not at work. So I've scheduled a day off next week so I can take the car to them for the determination on the paint. It does appear to be rubbed off to my non-expert eye.

Totally doable and have found a good electrician to get it done, but that is part of the "personal life" interfering with things. We just moved into a new place, so the garage was full for until recently so nobody would be able to get in there and run wiring. Add to that the current panel is full, so we will need to do a subpanel. This isn't Tesla's problem and not an issue overall, just another gripe of having the car for two months now and just not being at a steady state of regular use. Thankfully, it hasn't been a problem since we have 30a J1772s at work.

Cyclone, sorry to hear about all your issues with the car. I can't believe Tesla delivered the car in that condition, especially with the paint issues. Hopefully everything will be great and you can just enjoy the car after resolving the remaining issues. But it makes me more wary about my recent CPO order. I'm thinking now that perhaps I should pick up the car in the SF Bay Area, thinking perhaps they might do a more proper reconditioning if I pickup near Tesla's home base, rather than picking up from the local center, in LA but that's probably wishful thinking.

Cyclone, sorry to hear about all your issues with the car. I can't believe Tesla delivered the car in that condition, especially with the paint issues. Hopefully everything will be great and you can just enjoy the car after resolving the remaining issues. But it makes me more wary about my recent CPO order. I'm thinking now that perhaps I should pick up the car in the SF Bay Area, thinking perhaps they might do a more proper reconditioning if I pickup near Tesla's home base, rather than picking up from the local center, in LA but that's probably wishful thinking.

I wouldn't necessarily let me experience taint your decision. I could simply be that one outliner where the planets and stars aligned to make my experience very difficult. And Tesla Service has been easy to work with - it just has not been a painless process getting my vehicle and getting "up to speed".

@ Cyclone

Wow what car year was it? 2012? 2013? I just hope the 85D I plan to get will be better built. I am not convinced your experience is isolated. I have heard other people having little issues with CPO cars and new cars too. Given the recent deluded of problems I have been reading on this forum, I am surprised the model S got such a high rating in most reviews. Maybe these reviews only take into account owning a tesla for a few days at most so these problems don't manifest itself in such a short time period.

I guess it is true about what they say about early adopters. They are more than willing to overlook the little things. Main stream consumers are much less likely to put up with the problems. I hope teslas are better built now and in the future because if this will be the case for the Model 3, I can say, with confidence, I will be selling my TSLA stocks by then.