Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspicious influx of Demo Model S/X in new inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a look at the Boston (MA) area inventory, and do indeed see three Model X cars in inventory, all with fewer than 1000 miles, and all three listed as "Demo vehicle." One of them has 22" wheels and the black/white interior and is listed at $87,200, quite a bit below the list price (but still not below the tax rebate limit of $80K, unfortunately. And only 318 miles! Somebody will scarf that up fast, I am sure -- it is a very attractive price for a car with a list price of $99,490!! Interesting!

Last edited:
Took a look at the Boston (MA) area inventory, and do indeed see three Model X cars in inventory, all with fewer than 1000 miles, and all three listed as "Demo vehicle." I have not been looking at the inventory very often, but one of these is listed for less than the $80K tax rebate limit, even though it has 22 inch wheels and the black/white interior!. That is the first time I have noticed a demo Model X listed for less than $80K. And only 318 miles! Somebody will scarf that up fast, i am sure -- it is a very attractive price for a car with a list price of $99,490!! Interesting!
Keep in mind the tax credit is based on msrp as equipped, not sale price.

Reactions: msm859 and David29
I don't believe the warranty end date has anything to do with the build date.

Warranty on demo cars starts at the date of sale to the first customer, at least that is how it worked for me.
Looks like the warranty is related to the manufacturing date.

For example this demo unit has a end dates of August 2027 for 4 years / 80k and August 2031 / 240k km

Reactions: Chuckled
Warranty on demo cars starts at the date of sale to the first customer, at least that is how it worked for me.
This changed in the last several years. It used to be how you describe, but warranty now starts when the car is first “put into service”, including as a demo or loaner.

IMG_9921.jpeg

I wouldnt get to excited. My thought is they dont want demo vehicles with ton of miles on them so I'm guessing selling and getting new ones in for demos. I mean that what I'd do. I literally have no idea just wouldn't read too much into it.

I did hear Rumor the 24's will get range boost to 500 Miles, FSD12, 0-60 in 1.8 s. front bumper camera, 360 view. (Hmm what else can I make up.) oh wait I wasn't supposed to say that out loud.

Agree with not getting our hopes up.... but in my area they released a handful of cars that had less than 25km and with Oct 2027 as the 4yr warranty expiration!! 🤔

Can't blame us with the wishful thinking, especially with those new rumors of yours 😉

Tesla does this every year end. Wants to clear the decks and deliver every vehicle possible before end of year.

They want to realize all the income they possibly can this year, and will restock their loaner fleets with fresh cars after January 1, 2024.

Reactions: gsxdsm
Trying to hit end of quarter/year numbers.
I started going down this path a bit further.

Q3 totals were 430k.
They need to hit 450k in Q4 to hit the 1.8M end of the year targets.

The total number of demo Model S/X units released in US/Canada is probably 300-500. That's barely a dent in the grand scheme of things. They should be focusing on the M3/MY instead or specifically getting the M3 highland to more customer.

Did they do a demo dump on the M3 & MY? (Hard to tell since there's lots if inventory already)

Another possibility is to releasing demos to mitigate production halts while they update the production line? 🤔