Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Cape Cod, Looking at a MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I previously owned a 2022 Ford Lightning Pro when they first came out. I loved the way the truck drove, but the cost of electricity in Massachusetts is awful. At 39 cents per kWh it was $150 less per month to put diesel into my work truck 2021 Silverado 1500 diesel at 28 mpg than to home charge the Lightning. The only way to reconcile that was to put solar on the house, but we knew we’d be moving in a couple years. The short range battery on my Lightning was also a deal breaker, so I sold it a couple months after purchase when they were still impossible to get.

Fast forward to now, we purchased a new home last year and had 14.58 kW of solar panels (36 405 watt panels) installed last month. I specified the solar to provide far more power than we need knowing that I’d want another EV or two in the next 20 years. They estimated our annual need at 8400 kWh, the system is supposed to exceed 16000 kWh. We are on a credits system where we don’t net meter for a check, but for bill credits at retail including delivery. The credits never expire and will keep up with inflation as rates increase. Now that the solar is cranking out power at a rate of 55 kWh on a sunny winter day (average daily use is ~20 kWh weekdays and 35 kWh weekends), I think we can move forward on an EV. My wife’s Tacoma lease is up end of March. The Tacoma has been a great truck, but I also have a 2021 Bronco and a 2001 Expedition for truck duties.

We demoed a MYLR last weekend and I was very impressed. I’m 6’4” 320# and found the car comfortable and easy to get in and out of. I liked the space and driving dynamics, although one pedal at 100% regen may take some getting used to. The trunk space seemed plentiful and I like the extra under floor storage and cargo cover on the 5 seat configuration. There was some wind noise at highway speeds on the demo car, but I pointed out to my wife that there isn’t any engine noise to cover it up like an ICE vehicle. She asked me later if we were going to test drive any of the competition (Mach E, Hyundai EV6 or Ioniq 5) and I said there was no point. The competition doesn’t have the same experience building EV’s, doesn’t have the same supercharger network (yet), and cost more money for desirable trims. We are looking at inventory cars rather than ordering, our spec will be a 5 seat, black interior, tow hitch, 19” wheels. We just need to decide between the gray or the blue exterior. I think the gray would look great with black wheel covers, but the blue keeps calling to me. White could be a possibility but it seems like there are a bunch of white Y on the road. Red and black are right out as my work truck is red and black is too hard to keep clean.

I briefly considered the performance model, I’m sure I’d love the way it accelerates. It would probably be enough to make my wife car sick and my 82 year old folks who we care for part of the year crap themselves. I don’t think the 21” wheels would do me any favors with the crap roads here. I don’t really want to spend the extra money or buy it then downsize the wheels for ride comfort. Rough calculations have the performance ($59773) model costing an extra $7450 compared to the inventory LR (52336). Well qualify for $11K in state and federal incentives and hopefully the extra $1K for my 2019 Cybertruck reservation.

My wife’s normal commute is 1.5 miles each way, sometimes she has to go to court 25 or 70 miles away. We will use the car for trips to Boston for airport runs, sports games, etc. We do a couple trips to northern VT each year, but I’d probably rather have my Bronco on that trip to do some offroad exploring.

That’s where we’re at, thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_7557.jpeg
    IMG_7557.jpeg
    714.6 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: bruce4000
I previously owned a 2022 Ford Lightning Pro when they first came out. I loved the way the truck drove, but the cost of electricity in Massachusetts is awful. At 39 cents per kWh it was $150 less per month to put diesel into my work truck 2021 Silverado 1500 diesel at 28 mpg than to home charge the Lightning. The only way to reconcile that was to put solar on the house, but we knew we’d be moving in a couple years. The short range battery on my Lightning was also a deal breaker, so I sold it a couple months after purchase when they were still impossible to get.

Fast forward to now, we purchased a new home last year and had 14.58 kW of solar panels (36 405 watt panels) installed last month. I specified the solar to provide far more power than we need knowing that I’d want another EV or two in the next 20 years. They estimated our annual need at 8400 kWh, the system is supposed to exceed 16000 kWh. We are on a credits system where we don’t net meter for a check, but for bill credits at retail including delivery. The credits never expire and will keep up with inflation as rates increase. Now that the solar is cranking out power at a rate of 55 kWh on a sunny winter day (average daily use is ~20 kWh weekdays and 35 kWh weekends), I think we can move forward on an EV. My wife’s Tacoma lease is up end of March. The Tacoma has been a great truck, but I also have a 2021 Bronco and a 2001 Expedition for truck duties.

We demoed a MYLR last weekend and I was very impressed. I’m 6’4” 320# and found the car comfortable and easy to get in and out of. I liked the space and driving dynamics, although one pedal at 100% regen may take some getting used to. The trunk space seemed plentiful and I like the extra under floor storage and cargo cover on the 5 seat configuration. There was some wind noise at highway speeds on the demo car, but I pointed out to my wife that there isn’t any engine noise to cover it up like an ICE vehicle. She asked me later if we were going to test drive any of the competition (Mach E, Hyundai EV6 or Ioniq 5) and I said there was no point. The competition doesn’t have the same experience building EV’s, doesn’t have the same supercharger network (yet), and cost more money for desirable trims. We are looking at inventory cars rather than ordering, our spec will be a 5 seat, black interior, tow hitch, 19” wheels. We just need to decide between the gray or the blue exterior. I think the gray would look great with black wheel covers, but the blue keeps calling to me. White could be a possibility but it seems like there are a bunch of white Y on the road. Red and black are right out as my work truck is red and black is too hard to keep clean.

I briefly considered the performance model, I’m sure I’d love the way it accelerates. It would probably be enough to make my wife car sick and my 82 year old folks who we care for part of the year crap themselves. I don’t think the 21” wheels would do me any favors with the crap roads here. I don’t really want to spend the extra money or buy it then downsize the wheels for ride comfort. Rough calculations have the performance ($59773) model costing an extra $7450 compared to the inventory LR (52336). Well qualify for $11K in state and federal incentives and hopefully the extra $1K for my 2019 Cybertruck reservation.

My wife’s normal commute is 1.5 miles each way, sometimes she has to go to court 25 or 70 miles away. We will use the car for trips to Boston for airport runs, sports games, etc. We do a couple trips to northern VT each year, but I’d probably rather have my Bronco on that trip to do some offroad exploring.

That’s where we’re at, thanks for reading.
Nice. I recommend the new grey color (it’s free) and 20” wheels to go with it. Be patient on the hunt for end of quarter discount that’ll more than cover the cost of upgrades (wheels, tow hitch, or blue color).

if you loved the lightning, do you still need a pickup? if so, get a lightning. Just bought a new 23 for $7600 off of sticker, and then another 7500 fed at point of sale, and another 2k from state... far more comfy than any Tesla. lol. Am picking up 7 pax model 7 for the wifey though. =)

Nice. I recommend the new grey color (it’s free) and 20” wheels to go with it. Be patient on the hunt for end of quarter discount that’ll more than cover the cost of upgrades (wheels, tow hitch, or blue color).
There are so many gray cars on the road these days, and my Bronco is Cactus Gray (light grey with a touch of blue/green). I certainly like the price of the gray, I’ll have to check them out in person again. Why the 20” wheels for another $2K? The tires are the same width but with less sidewall and the rims are the same 9.5” width and +43mm offset. It seems like the wheels are unnecessarily wide for a 255mm wide tire, hence so many threads about curb damage. Seems like another 1/2” of sidewall is better for ride and comfort. I would replace the Gemini covers with something else or at least plasti dip them black.

I saw end of year deals on inventory cars in December and some good pricing in early January. The website currently lists a $1K price reduction from MSRP on the LR and there is a note about the price increasing $1K or more on 3/1/2024. There are a few inventory cars in my exact spec that are discounted $2K more than the current $1K off an ordered car. $4K off total if I can collect the $1K CT bonus seems decent. I don’t have any issues being patient, but they seem to be advertising that now is a good time to buy.
That's the first time I've heard somebody tall say they liked the MY! When I had the MX, there were so many owners who tried the MY and hated it.
The 2021 Tacoma isn’t exactly spacious but I made it work, I had to learn to duck my head just right I’ll hit it on the A pillar while getting in and out. My 2 door Bronco is great on space except the left elbow is a little tight on the door panel. The MY has decent elbow room and the B pillar is back far enough I can naturally rest my elbow on the door with the window open. What I can’t stand in a vehicle is my knees hitting the dashboard or a strange curve on the center console. The high and forward dashboard on the MY is a welcome change from most cars.

if you loved the lightning, do you still need a pickup? if so, get a lightning. Just bought a new 23 for $7600 off of sticker, and then another 7500 fed at point of sale, and another 2k from state... far more comfy than any Tesla. lol. Am picking up 7 pax model 7 for the wifey though. =)
I currently have a 1500 crew cab truck provided by my employer. A Lightning XLT with the big battery has an MSRP of $73K, assuming I can get the same deal as yours and MA has $3500 off at point of sale I’d be looking at about $60K out the door vs $40K on the Tesla. I think the trucks will develop quickly in the coming few years, I’d want to wait and see before spending truck money on an EV.

The MYLR would be my wife’s daily driver, she doesn’t need a full size truck. We considered keeping the Tacoma or replacing it with something like a Subaru Outback or Toyota Highlander. With the solar up and running I’m all in on EV to use the prepaid power capacity.

It seems that you have done your homework. There are a number of annoying issues with any Tesla, but I guess you have read up on them. There will be a learning curve, but from my own experience with the 3, it’s still probably the best value out there by far, and you’ll love the car for its good points. I would get smaller wheels for a better ride, and get the blue. Best of luck!

That's the first time I've heard somebody tall say they liked the MY! When I had the MX, there were so many owners who tried the MY and hated it.
I'm 6'1". I went from a Model 3 (too cramped and low) to a Model X and now to a Model Y. I find the MY perfect for my height. The only thing I miss about the X is the auto-close doors. After 3 months, I still find myself stepping on the brake pedal, expecting the driver's door to slam shut. Never does. :)

Reactions: ChiefRollo and ngng
I'm 6'1". I went from a Model 3 (too cramped and low) to a Model X and now to a Model Y. I find the MY perfect for my height. The only thing I miss about the X is the auto-close doors. After 3 months, I still find myself stepping on the brake pedal, expecting the driver's door to slam shut. Never does. :)
That was the one feature I thought was a gimmick when I first had the X. Now, it’s the only thing I miss.

Reactions: KentuckyX