Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took the jump to...Tesla MYLR ownership!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post here, be kind please. My wife and I (in our mid 60's) picked up our new Model Y LR a little over a week ago. We had it only 3 days until it went into the shop to get PPF and tint...and it is still there after 5 days (including the weekend). Can't wait to have it back! We have the Midnight Silver Metallic and elected to wrap it in Satin (matte) Stek PPF film, full car wrap. They have sent pics and it looks great. I also had them replace the chrome badging with matte black badging.

The car drives and provides all the comfort and capability we wanted. We had a referral, so along with the 30 days of free connectivity, we have 3 months free FSD. I still don't know if I need the FSD. So far, it seems a little lacking in completely safe operation when trying to come to a stop, turn a corner in traffic, and start back up, without being jerky and even a little erratic. As a basic autopilot, it seems more than great to me! I do want and hope the "navigate on autopilot" is a good feature to have. I'm willing to pay for that if it performs well. I'm even willing to pay for FSD, if it is fluid and able to protect me on city streets. We live in a rural community, 15 miles from a town of 17,500 population, and about 35 from a town of 150,000, and just beyond is the DFW area. Most of the driving will be within 35 miles of home, but we will certainly find ourselves down in the metroplex from time to time.

The big regret with this purchase, is a loss of being able to flat tow the car behind the motorhome. I have a truck that I can tow, but we traded the car for the Tesla, and it was both smaller and lighter than the truck. I am hoping in the near term, that Tesla and other EV manufacturers meet the demand of the RV community, and build the cars with a disconnect to the drive to enable flat towing. That is out of reach for now. And, I am already so spoiled, I wish I could just drive the Tesla from now on, love the autopilot and nav. Glad y'all are here, I will have more questions!

The only issues I have found on the car since delivery, is a piece of the black trim is scratched, I found the windshield washer fluid empty less than 48 hours after delivery and a little dried fluid on the garage floor. Is there anything on the screen that tells you it is low or empty? Also a tail light that isn't flushly mounted, the rear middle seatbelt is installed twisted, and the a/c and heat, are not very cold or hot. I know as far as climate goes, a heat pump is less cold and hot, maybe that is it. Tesla Service tis coming 21NOV23, so they may tell me that. I also haven't found a way to display the inside front camera. But that is more than likely operator error.

Welcome, need pics!

That is interesting, I never thought of towing the Tesla behind an RV but yes, I suppose that is not currently possible. Is there a dolly-type system that is available?

That is too bad about the issues, hopefully they can sort it out quickly. The dried fluid on the floor is somewhat concerning (could be nothing though). What colour is the fluid? If I recall correctly blue is a battery coolant leak, hopefully not blue!

I too am a new owner of a YLR in dark grey metallic with 20” wheels and a white interior!
We had a Tesla charger installed at our primary home and I’m currently at our mountain home in Western NC to meet with the electrician tomorrow to install a charger here. It is about 220 miles (4 hours) and when I plugged in the destination it had me charging mid way which I thought was a little odd but at the time I only had a 50% SOC.
We will be getting the car ceramic coated when I get back.
We are in our mid 60’s as well and I’m retired while my wife works part time.
This car is amazing and the only issue was a small scratch above the charge door that they took care of at the delivery center while we had lunch.

Attachments

• IMG_6550.jpeg
    IMG_6550.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 40
The heat pump should be just as warm or hot as anything else you're used to. Use Auto climate and set it to your desired cabin temp, and forget it. Auto + 70 works well for us year round, and we never touch the climate menu for vent/fan speed settings/etc.

If it's still not keeping the cabin warm, a service request might rule out any issues.

I guess I may have a problem then, the fluid color is blue. The fact the windshield washer has either lost prime or lost fluid, lead me to believe that is what it was. However, Tesla asked if the fluid on the floor was blue, and they thought it might be washer fluid too.

We have it set to auto and 70, and it is comfortable. Truthfully, I haven't tried it full cold or full hot. I just found it odd that the air didn't seem cold like in either of my other vehicles with an auto setting. I bet it is ok.

@smlobx , if I had known and been there, I could have helped you with the first charger and the second. I'm not an electrician, but I'm capable. I installed my wall charger, including running the wire up from the panel, through the attic, and down inside an outside garage wall in about 2 hours. That included stabbing the 60A breaker and hanging and wiring the wall charger. I hope you don't have to pay too much. I have heard some folks have paid upwards of $600 for that type of work.

I'll post some pics tomorrow, we just got the car back today and it looks fantastic. I haven't taken any pics yet. So far, we have put in sunglasses clips, center console draws with the hidden compartment, under seat drawers up front (I don't want to block the under seat vents so I didn't add the back trays), the 3D full mat package, SS water bottles that fit, screen protector, mud flaps, front window shade, roof window insulated shade, and mobile charger. I have other interior stuff coming and can't remember all of it! The black wheel covers (covers the rim edge) are still in the mail. and I mentioned above we had replaced the badging with matte black and it looks good on the matte ppf. The ppf store also wrapped the door handles and the side cameras in carbon fiber. I would like to replace the white trim on the dash and door panels, but I think it is expensive for those pieces at this point. I'm not sure how that would matter, based on what all the other stuff cost me. lol. Screen Shot 2023-11-15 at 12.50.12 AM.pngTh rest of the pics tomorrow. Thanks for the replies and info!

I also haven't found a way to display the inside front camera.
Congrats on the purchase! These really are fantastic cars to drive.

What do you mean by inside front camera? If you're referring to the one in the cabin facing the driver, you can't display that on the main screen (not sure what purpose that would serve) but you can display from the app when sentry is active and you've signed up for premium connectivity. You are limited to 15 minutes of viewing per day, however.

• Disagree
Reactions: Evee
Set Climate Control to Auto and your preferred cabin temperature (suggest trying 71F) Set the front seat heaters and the steering wheel heater to Auto and these will automatically come on during Preconditioning. Precondition using the Tesla app (by tapping the fan icon) in the A.M. before driving for ~5 to 10 minutes. If parked outside in snow and ice conditions there is a convenient single function within the Tesla app Climate settings to Defrost Vehicle.

With the Climate Control set to Auto you can separately set the HVAC fan speed. Make sure to set the HVAC fan speed setting (in Auto this setting functions as a fan speed maximum limiter, not absolute fan speed). Set the HVAC fan speed to Medium or Hi, if set to Low then the Climate Control system may not be able to quickly achieve or hold your desired temperature.

If you activate the windshield washer while parked the excess washer fluid will end up on the ground under the Tesla Model Y. This may be the blue washer fluid residue you observed. It can happen that the washer fluid hose disconnects from the fluid pump. You can check/reconnect this yourself or have Tesla Service check this during your service appointment. For new vehicles Tesla does not fill the washer fluid reservoir, only puts in enough fluid to keep the Add Washer Fluid message from being displayed on the screen. Use the standard winterized (blue) premixed washer fluid. The reservoir holds ~1.3 gallons.

• Helpful
Reactions: YisSerL
@mikez10288 Thanks for the explanation!
@jcanoe I appreciate the intel on how the HVAC works. What you have shared is a good year of use to figure out I am sure! The fluid was empty, we hadn't really used it, only a few days old with only a couple of drives, and it was empty it seems. And there was dried blue fluid on the garage floor. I will let the tech look it over.

I am sure there are posts on this. But my wife and I attempted to install the
BASENOR Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade Sunroof Retractable Sunshade Heat Insulation Roof Window Sun Protection Grey Gen 2
That thing is awful. It overlaps a good two inches and the clips that hold it under the existing roof trim aren't very good at retaining it if the spring is under tension. What brands have you tried and did they fit, stay together? I'll search for this, but I thought maybe one of you guys might have tried them. I see no choice but to send this one back as it clearly isn't the right size, when it overlaps by 2 inches. Their website shows them butting against each other, and then special clips and a tape for the seam they make together. We live in Texas, and really need to use one of these or something as heat reflecting.

Try adding washer fluid to the reservoir and pressing the button on the left stalk on the steering wheel. If the washer fluid ends up on the ground beneath the Tesla Model Y but none on the windshield the washer fluid hose has likely come loose from the washer fluid pump.

Precondition before driving for 5 to 10 minutes for passenger comfort. Some amount of battery warming may take place while preconditioning but this will not result is full regenerative braking being restored when the battery temperature is below 68F (10C). I would precondition my Model Y for extended periods yet regenerative braking would still be limited.

You may observe a blue snow flake symbol when starting to drive. This indicates that the battery is cold. When the battery is cold you can drive with no noticeable reduction in power in normal driving. Regenerative braking will be reduced or effectively unavailable. To restore the feel of full regenerative braking Tesla now provides an optional setting under Pedals & Steering. If you enable Blended Friction Braking when regenerative braking is reduced or unavailable you will never be inconvenienced by the lack of a normal level of regenerative braking when the battery is cold or when the battery state of charge is high. Enabling this setting greatly improves the driving experience in colder weather.