Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help deciding which Tesla to sell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Tesla Model Y owners, My wife and I are trying to get out of pickle of our own doing.

We have two Tesla I will call them Tesla 1 and Tesla 2 both are model Y's LR's, my wife and I are trying to figure out which one to sell. I need some advice. I will describe both and if someone could help us decide, we would really appreciate it.

Tesla 1 2022 Model Y Long Range white (free color at the time) with Black interior, 20" Induction wheels, tow package, 24,000 miles, we put PPF on the front and ceramic coated the whole car (5K in labor and products) APR 2.49% we owe 45,200 and have been paying on the car for 18 months KBB says value is between 35,700 and 41,100 (purchased for 68,000 in July 2022)

Tesla 2 2023 Model Y Long Range Grey (free color at the time) white interior, 20" Induction wheels, 8,000 miles, no ppf or ceramic. APR is 5.24% we've been paying on it for 5 months (it qualifies for the 7500 IRA tax rebate (which we have our tax appt on Feb 23) we owe 54, 200 and KBB says its value is between 40,500 and 45,500 (purchased for 56,399 in August 23)
The reason for the sale is that we just found a Rivian R1T at a price that we could not pass up (which is what we really wanted/needed for our lifestyle before buying Tesla #2) 5 months ago, and we purchased the rivian last week.

Please help, we really appreciate you all.

• Funny
Reactions: Sai Ko and morbidz
Instead of estimated KBB values, get an actual sale valuation from CarMax/Carvana/Vroom/etc. to understand the pricing floor you may be facing to help the decision process.

EDIT: Just learned Vroom went out of business yesterday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rivian had a similar, but opposite pricing issue. When they first released it, they priced it far below their cost of production. Losing money on every vehicle sold, the quickly found it challenging to raise additional investor money. After they raised their prices, fewer people wanted to buy the trucks and sales growth suffered.

In the OP's case, perhaps the solution is for the person that most wants the Rivian to sell their car and take the financial loss.

When you purchase a vehicle, you take on the financial responsibility that comes along with it.

Upvote 0
Hmm. $100K in car loan and the next decision is take a bloodbath in trade in and upgrade to a rivian. I just don't get it. I am not against spending money on things you want, but it just does not sound right to me. If you are wealthy enough to afford these things, you should be able to cash purchase and not be on $100K loan. But if you are not wealthy, why waste all those money on finances, early trade ins, useless PPF.

Upvote 0