Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MYLR, One year ownership experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my MYLR in December of 2022…so a bit over a year, and a bit over 16,000 miles.

A little background: Years ago I had a Civic hybrid, but I had never owned a pure EV of any kind. My first thoughts of Tesla, back in the early 2010s were: "Too exotic and expensive for me, and that Musk guy is kinda weird." Later, when Tesla announced the Model 3 and began production, I still wasn’t paying much attention — we are a big family and weren’t in the market for a sedan. We still weren’t in the market for anything when Tesla introduced the MY. I took more notice when they broke ground on the factory in Austin — probably because it’s up the road from me in my adopted home town of San Antonio (I wasn’t born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could).

About a year and a half prior to MY purchase, our old family minivan (2011 Honda Odyssey) began having some minor issues. This motivated me to start my research on a possible replacement. We test drove some new minivans, but I was unimpressed with the relatively limited step up in appearance, performance or technology compared to our decade-old vehicle. We checked out some larger SUVs, but the prices were/are stupid and the kids didn’t like any of them anyway. So I began to scrutinize the MY.

Flash forward to late summer 2022 and the minivan had to have a cylinder coil replacement. It’s a common occurrence on that type of Honda engine as it ages…and the fix ain’t cheap! And of course there is more than one coil — when one coil goes, the others may not be far behind. So we decided to take the plunge and order a 7-seater MYLR.

Delivery day was fun. I don’t have anything particularly interesting or unique to tell about it, compared to those who have posted their stories here.

The car is typically my daily commuter, and I’ve used it for four long road trips to visit family.

The good: Home charging and overall ease of use. When I pull into the garage at the end of the day, I can take a quick glance at the charge percentage remaining, think about what’s on my agenda the next day (client site, corporate site, work from home, a mix?), and decide if I need to plug in or not. The sound system is much better and more intuitive than our 2018 pickup. I don’t even miss android auto. It’s also got great storage, especially when I fold down the 3rd row seats.

I adapted very easily to one-peddle driving. I love the instant acceleration, to the point where I get spoiled. On the occasions when I drive the truck, I sometimes catch myself trying to zip into a merge lane and suddenly realizing I do not have that instant acceleration available.

The bad: The auto windshield wipers. They are just not ready for prime time, and it’s the one part of my experience where I really, really detest not having physical controls — other than the single sweep from the left stalk button. Each person has their own preferences for where they want the wiper speed to be in relation to the amount and type of precipitation at any moment. My preferences and the auto-wiper action frequently do not align.

I also had an event when the auto wipers were downright hazardous. It was a medium level rain event and I was going down a ramp to merge onto the freeway. The auto wipers were not on high. I had vehicles behind me and a vehicle immediately to my left in the lane to which I needed to merge, because my on-ramp lane was ending. The rain suddenly picked up considerably, but the wiper speed did not change. “Just slow the car down, you idiot.” I did slow some, but did I mention the cars behind me? Also, there were vehicles behind that one to my left, and vehicles in front of it. I was attempting to gauge if the car to my left was speeding up or slowing down, and correspondingly whether I could slip in behind it or accelerate ahead of it and get over. Suddenly, absolutely zooming through the center lane (to the left of the car to my left) came a semi-truck moving far too fast for the road conditions and blasting spray water EVERYWHERE. My windshield was completely washed out. And the Telsa auto wipers STILL…STILL did not increase speed. No way could I take my eyes off the road to speed them up manually via the touch screen. I pressed the right scroll wheel, BLIP “Windshield wipers high speed!” Command not understood. “*%&^ING Tesla!!!”

I also really do not like the latest auto-pilot update. I wish they hadn’t done away with the regular old cruise control (single down pull on right stalk), without lane hold. I hardly ever used the lane-hold functions except occasionally on the freeway in light-to-no traffic. Yes, I understand the lane-holding function dropping out when I put my blinker on to change lanes, but why in the heck does the set-speed have to drop out too? Just give me control of the wheel when I hit the blinker, and maintain speed (slowing if it needs to for safe distancing from other cars). Then resume lane hold when I establish in the new lane (or not, if I just want regular old cruise control) — shouldn’t be difficult. That AP update means my mom’s 2018 Honda CRV has a better highway cruising set up than any non-FSD Tesla (and yes it slows when approaching slower vehicles in lane).

I subscribed to FSD for a month, just to try it. It was a novelty. The kids and other family members thought it was cool. I did make use of it for one of the road trips mentioned above and it certainly helps with driver fatigue. I’m guessing it has improved since I last had it (July 2023), but I found it to be faaaaar too slow and timid coming in and out of braking at certain (not all) 4-way stops. There’s a 4-way near my house wherein I could’ve eaten a multi-course meal before the Tesla got through the stop on its own. If I were doing road trips on a steady basis I would have considered keeping FSD. But I don’t and it’s too much $$$ for how little I would truly make good use of it.

So as to not end on a negative note: My children and all their friends love the light shows and the fart sounds. Also, shortly after we took delivery, I let my elderly father drive it. I was sitting in the passenger’s seat when we hit a stretch of open road and he floored the accelerator. Hearing an old man giggle like a little kid was so much fun.
Would I do it all again, and will I purchase another EV? Yes and almost certainly Yes -- though I will stick with an EV that has a native NACS port. I know resale values of CCS EVs is already not great and I foresee them dropping even more once NACS is in widespread use.

I subscribed to FSD for a month, just to try it. It was a novelty. The kids and other family members thought it was cool. I did make use of it for one of the road trips mentioned above and it certainly helps with driver fatigue. I’m guessing it has improved since I last had it (July 2023), but I found it to be faaaaar too slow and timid coming in and out of braking at certain (not all) 4-way stops. There’s a 4-way near my house wherein I could’ve eaten a multi-course meal before the Tesla got through the stop on its own. If I were doing road trips on a steady basis I would have considered keeping FSD. But I don’t and it’s too much $$$ for how little I would truly make good use of it.
FSD is a work in progress. You would be surprised by the (good) changes since July, but its still not ready for prime time.

I took delivery of my MYLR in December of 2022…so a bit over a year, and a bit over 16,000 miles.

A little background: Years ago I had a Civic hybrid, but I had never owned a pure EV of any kind. My first thoughts of Tesla, back in the early 2010s were: "Too exotic and expensive for me, and that Musk guy is kinda weird." Later, when Tesla announced the Model 3 and began production, I still wasn’t paying much attention — we are a big family and weren’t in the market for a sedan. We still weren’t in the market for anything when Tesla introduced the MY. I took more notice when they broke ground on the factory in Austin — probably because it’s up the road from me in my adopted home town of San Antonio (I wasn’t born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could).

About a year and a half prior to MY purchase, our old family minivan (2011 Honda Odyssey) began having some minor issues. This motivated me to start my research on a possible replacement. We test drove some new minivans, but I was unimpressed with the relatively limited step up in appearance, performance or technology compared to our decade-old vehicle. We checked out some larger SUVs, but the prices were/are stupid and the kids didn’t like any of them anyway. So I began to scrutinize the MY.

Flash forward to late summer 2022 and the minivan had to have a cylinder coil replacement. It’s a common occurrence on that type of Honda engine as it ages…and the fix ain’t cheap! And of course there is more than one coil — when one coil goes, the others may not be far behind. So we decided to take the plunge and order a 7-seater MYLR.

Delivery day was fun. I don’t have anything particularly interesting or unique to tell about it, compared to those who have posted their stories here.

The car is typically my daily commuter, and I’ve used it for four long road trips to visit family.

The good: Home charging and overall ease of use. When I pull into the garage at the end of the day, I can take a quick glance at the charge percentage remaining, think about what’s on my agenda the next day (client site, corporate site, work from home, a mix?), and decide if I need to plug in or not. The sound system is much better and more intuitive than our 2018 pickup. I don’t even miss android auto. It’s also got great storage, especially when I fold down the 3rd row seats.

I adapted very easily to one-peddle driving. I love the instant acceleration, to the point where I get spoiled. On the occasions when I drive the truck, I sometimes catch myself trying to zip into a merge lane and suddenly realizing I do not have that instant acceleration available.

The bad: The auto windshield wipers. They are just not ready for prime time, and it’s the one part of my experience where I really, really detest not having physical controls — other than the single sweep from the left stalk button. Each person has their own preferences for where they want the wiper speed to be in relation to the amount and type of precipitation at any moment. My preferences and the auto-wiper action frequently do not align.

I also had an event when the auto wipers were downright hazardous. It was a medium level rain event and I was going down a ramp to merge onto the freeway. The auto wipers were not on high. I had vehicles behind me and a vehicle immediately to my left in the lane to which I needed to merge, because my on-ramp lane was ending. The rain suddenly picked up considerably, but the wiper speed did not change. “Just slow the car down, you idiot.” I did slow some, but did I mention the cars behind me? Also, there were vehicles behind that one to my left, and vehicles in front of it. I was attempting to gauge if the car to my left was speeding up or slowing down, and correspondingly whether I could slip in behind it or accelerate ahead of it and get over. Suddenly, absolutely zooming through the center lane (to the left of the car to my left) came a semi-truck moving far too fast for the road conditions and blasting spray water EVERYWHERE. My windshield was completely washed out. And the Telsa auto wipers STILL…STILL did not increase speed. No way could I take my eyes off the road to speed them up manually via the touch screen. I pressed the right scroll wheel, BLIP “Windshield wipers high speed!” Command not understood. “*%&^ING Tesla!!!”

I also really do not like the latest auto-pilot update. I wish they hadn’t done away with the regular old cruise control (single down pull on right stalk), without lane hold. I hardly ever used the lane-hold functions except occasionally on the freeway in light-to-no traffic. Yes, I understand the lane-holding function dropping out when I put my blinker on to change lanes, but why in the heck does the set-speed have to drop out too? Just give me control of the wheel when I hit the blinker, and maintain speed (slowing if it needs to for safe distancing from other cars). Then resume lane hold when I establish in the new lane (or not, if I just want regular old cruise control) — shouldn’t be difficult. That AP update means my mom’s 2018 Honda CRV has a better highway cruising set up than any non-FSD Tesla (and yes it slows when approaching slower vehicles in lane).

So as to not end on a negative note: My children and all their friends love the light shows and the fart sounds. Also, shortly after we took delivery, I let my elderly father drive it. I was sitting in the passenger’s seat when we hit a stretch of open road and he floored the accelerator. Hearing an old man giggle like a little kid was so much fun.
Would I do it all again, and will I purchase another EV? Yes and almost certainly Yes -- though I will stick with an EV that has a native NACS port. I know resale values of CCS EVs is already not great and I foresee them dropping even more once NACS is in widespread use.
Thanks for sharing. Regarding FSD, I think there’s something to be said about the fact that you can decide on a moment’s notice to get it via subscription or straight up purchase. Can’t say the same with other cars out there.

Quick question regarding company CEO as part of your car purchase consideration (I only ask because you volunteered information) when you acquired the Civic, what was your first thought of the Honda CEO?

In relation to the M3 not being adequate in size for the family, if the Civic Hybrid sufficed at one point in time, your family must have had additions.

The Honda CEO is not the same as the Tesla CEO.
There is no equivalence. But without doing research, I am confident that he is not a controversial figure. He is not one of the richest people in the world and he doesn't get stoned regularly. He doesn't bully people on social media. And makes no position statements on what US political party you should vote for.
No CEO does any of those things - you don't even have to check. (OK - some could be among the wealthiest people in the world)
Whataboutism - look it up.

I thought with one of the later updates introducing single pull down for AP. That you could adjust the setting so it’s still double pull down for AP, and single pull for TACC. Could be wrong.

IMG_2004.png

Quick question regarding company CEO as part of your car purchase consideration (I only ask because you volunteered information) when you acquired the Civic, what was your first thought of the Honda CEO?

In relation to the M3 not being adequate in size for the family, if the Civic Hybrid sufficed at one point in time, your family must have had additions.
Yes, the Civic was from several years earlier, was living in Hawaii and it was a used vehicle purely for cheap commute-to-work purposes.

And I don't mean to overplay the CEO thing. At the time I first became aware of Tesla, it was (and probably still is to some extent) synonymous with it's CEO. Almost no one pays attention to Honda's CEO -- I couldn't pick that person out of a police lineup. Musk had no impact on my non-purchase of a MS or MX in the early 2010s. I wasn't on the market for that type of vehicle at the time regardless of who ran the company. I included my remark about him in my original post just for context. And for the record, I am staunchly for freedom of speech and am a fan of what Musk has done with Twitter/X.

Good advice. Additionally, every time you activate the single wipe, the wiper speed option appear on your screen at the bottom.
I actually just figured this out the other night when it was dumping fumbling with the long press menu and I saw there was a left/right arrow icon. I'm not sure if it's always been like that, but being able to use the physical button without long pressing makes wipers ALMOST reasonable

I thought with one of the later updates introducing single pull down for AP. That you could adjust the setting so it’s still double pull down for AP, and single pull for TACC. Could be wrong.
There is a setting to get back to old behavior. I changed it back immediately after that software update. I don’t want to reset my muscle memory at the whim of a software developer :)

Reactions: Samurai51
Re: wipers; do a quick press to activate the single wipe and then click the left scroll wheel left or right to choose your speed
This is a great tip, but still doesn’t forgive the horrible auto-wipe functionality. This isn’t something they can fix with just software updates. They need another/different method for sensing liquid on the windshield.

———————————
In regards to AutoPilot

Lane keep is worthless now that snow in on the ground. The worse the weather, the harder it is for a human to even read the lines and people just makeup their own lanes. In clear weather it’s fine.

In regard to NACS / J3400

Let me tell you how much my M3 has depreciated since purchasing in March 2023 😅 Not recommending you buy a CCS EV. Just saying that you shouldn’t worry about the value of the car unless you tend to flip your vehicles as a way of earnings. Good news is that J3400 and SuperCharger support will be showing up on all manufacturer’s EVs within a year from now and going forward, so unless you’re buying another EV in the immediate future, it’s not even a concern 😁

• Disagree
Reactions: tradosaurus
I bought my first EV, 2023 MYP, in August and now have a bit over 5000 miles. I agree the wiper function needs a lot of work. Coming back from a trip to San Diego in the rain had me constantly hitting the left button to get some light mist cleared off, and there were a number of times I needed to manually adjust speed. In addition, they do a poor job of clearing water off in front of the passenger, often leaving a bit of spray behind there. And finally, mine make an annoying whishing sound when the wiper hits the end of its travel right over the driver's head.

As for FSD, it's definitely come a long way, and it definitely has a long way to go. Anytime things get interesting, you need to jump in. In particular it seems to do badly at predicting cars coming up from the rear to pass you and sometimes tries to change lanes right into them only to slam on the brakes. I also have a lot of issues around Phoenix where it just won't get out of the HOV lane even though a turn signal is on.

And I found out something on my drive back from San Diego about the new FSD 1-pull activation. I thought it would be just what I wanted, but I now think I want two different settings for highway and city. In the city, when FSD disengaged before, it would drop into autopilot which would often then try to accelerate the car to speed limit. As FSD would tend to disengage at intersections or with 'interesting traffic patterns', having your car suddenly accelerate into danger is pretty annoying. The 1-pull FSD fixed that. But on the highway, it caused me grief. THERE I want FSD to drop back into Autopilot and maintain my speed. What would typically happen is that I'd be in the left lane passing a truck with faster traffic coming up on me, and FSD wouldn't get out of the lane. I would turn on the right signal and FSD still wouldn't get over (possibly because it felt I was too close to the truck I just passed). So I would yank on the wheel to disengage and suddenly slow down 10mph with traffic tailgating me. I should have thought then to reverse the setting so that I just took over steering. As it was I must have looked pretty spastic as the turn signal comes up, nothing happens, then a sudden jerking to the right with immediate slowdown followed by sudden acceleration. Probably looked like a brake check.

View attachment 1007070
Appreciate this. I was able to work through the settings and get it reconfigured for the TACC that I like. Shouldn't have to be that complicated. Ditto for those who have remarked about the windshield wipers, except I would argue that is worse. In a situation where the windshield is rapidly inundated with liquid, the driver should not have to execute more than one step to get the wipers to high speed. So for me, I still find the current Tesla auto-wiper system to be significantly design/implementation/interface deficient.