Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there something wrong with MYLR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Generally I find the speed sign reading good. Sometimes it's too good (reads off ramp speed signs thinking it's for the highway and you have to wait for another highway speed for it to correct). Only speed signs mine misses are some of the electronic ones. Sometimes it sees them, but generally it struggles to read the variable ones on highways.

It is generally very good at school zone signs though which is incredibly helpful and was a genuine surprise & delight when it first occurred.

Reactions: Jules22
So basically a non FSD in Australia Tesla cannot read Speed limits. I stand corrected if this has since changed
Stand corrected.

MYLR with 2023.44.30.8 detects the speed limit signs very well... including recognising the school zones with time periods. It doesn't adjust to the time period but shows you the normal 50km/h greyed out and 40km/h with the red circle.

It's not perfect - I wish they would do combination of visual and GPS for known speed limit. Its a real pain on some lesser used roads where they do roadworks signs to bring you down from 100 to 40km/h, then never give you another speed limit sign... so driving for another 20kms before it sees another sign to the right limit. Of course I can override and dial it up. More of an issue with the roadworks not signposting properly.

I find it rare not to pick up a sign. Usually only if it is partially obscured, or well off the road and low down on the ground.

Reactions: Quickst
Hi,

We have a new MYLR and I really need to know if ours is faulty, or if autopilot is just this bad generally.

Examples:
Normal dumb cruise control - random roads it just won't work on, it knows the speed limit but won't do it. There are multiple roads where it does this.
Submitted a bug report about the above issue and then the bluetooth wouldn't work again until the entire screen/computer was soft reset
Thanks

If it only it was plain "Dumb" cruise control, I'd almost pay $500 dollars for that. As I have posted before, Ford vehicles allow you to switch of TACC on its vehicles and have the old fashioned setup.

Reactions: Maximillan
Ford vehicles allow you to switch of TACC on its vehicles and have the old fashioned setup.
Yes - it would be great to have just settings for type of "autopilot" - (1) normal (dumb) cruise control; (2) TACC; (3) Autosteer - so you can choose based on the driving conditions... there are just some times when TACC can get downright annoying and its turn on, turn off, turn on, turn off to avoid the problems.
I crave configurability (let me decide the level of sophistication I want)

Reactions: JonDarian
Yes - it would be great to have just settings for type of "autopilot" - (1) normal (dumb) cruise control; (2) TACC; (3) Autosteer - so you can choose based on the driving conditions... there are just some times when TACC can get downright annoying and its turn on, turn off, turn on, turn off to avoid the problems.
I crave configurability (let me decide the level of sophistication I want)
You would not need configurability if the tacc works as tacc should, and the autosteer allowed you to take over whenever you want without dropping out. The latest mercedes system has this right, so much so that corners and roundabouts can be taken without stopping or starting the tacc or lanekeeping. Not sure why tesla are struggling with their system.

Reactions: MickyD
If it only it was plain "Dumb" cruise control, I'd almost pay $500 dollars for that. As I have posted before, Ford vehicles allow you to switch of TACC on its vehicles and have the old fashioned setup.
Toyotas allow you to disable the adaptive cruise control and switching to plan cruise control by holding down the cruise control button. Their engineers had the foresight to anticipate situations (sensor not working / blocked) where their customers might want to go old school.

Reactions: JonDarian
Not sure why tesla are struggling with their system.
Elon wants only cameras as the input. Mercs have Lidars, radars, ultrasonics, cameras, microphones.

Elon says people have eyes. But he fails to realise that humans have other senses to interact with their surroundings. In a similar way relying on just vision to understand the world is not going to be as high resolution as having a combination of "senses".