Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Long Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spent two weeks on the road. Barely ever used autopilot as you can’t do anything normal with it it engaged. Dipped my chin slightly to take a bite of a wrap and it shut off and told me I wasn’t driving safely. It’s completely useless now and a waste of money. Did notice though that if I wore sunglasses, it was less prone to shutting off.

Autopilot as a driver safety aid is worse than a normal car with normal cruise. At least in my old Ford, I don’t have to worry about it shutting off driver aids just because I took a bite of a wrap.

Could not shut off the windshield wipers. Even after going into settings and changing it from Auto to Off wouldn’t fix the issue. The wipers would start back up about 10-15 minutes later.

I’d say we put on about 3500 miles this trip. We only used Superchargers and they were plentiful and located in areas where one could go to the bathroom and grab a coffee.

The car is very comfortable on the highway. The cruise control is almost as annoying as Autopilot. When you come up to a slower vehicle and have to wait to pass, it takes the Tesla 10 to fifteen seconds to come back up to the set speed once you’re in the free lane.

I’ll be looking for another EV soon and it probably won’t be a Tesla unless these issues are fixed in a few years.

• Informative
Reactions: mborkow
Were you holding the steering wheel when AP was nagging you? It doesn’t just shut off unless you ignore the nags. I don’t know how long you’ve owned a Tesla, but there’s a technique for holding the wheel that will minimize nags.

I’ve taken many road trips, and I use AP all the time (EAP or FSD). I don’t get nagged often, even with the latest software.

Yeah, I don't find the "regular" Autopilot to be any different from smart cruise control in other cars. Well, if you discount the occasional ghost braking.

I do agree, though, about resuming speed. But all you have to do is override it with a little throttle, then let off as the set speed is approached. I've done that with my smart cruise cars, too, since many of them seem to resume speed a bit too conservatively for me.

Now, I don't know about FSD ...

Were you holding the steering wheel when AP was nagging you? It doesn’t just shut off unless you ignore the nags. I don’t know how long you’ve owned a Tesla, but there’s a technique for holding the wheel that will minimize nags.

I’ve taken many road trips, and I use AP all the time (EAP or FSD). I don’t get nagged often, even with the latest software.
I don’t think i was holding the wheel now that you mention it.

Yeah, I don't find the "regular" Autopilot to be any different from smart cruise control in other cars. Well, if you discount the occasional ghost braking.

I do agree, though, about resuming speed. But all you have to do is override it with a little throttle, then let off as the set speed is approached. I've done that with my smart cruise cars, too, since many of them seem to resume speed a bit too conservatively for me.

Now, I don't know about FSD ...
That’s exactly what I found myself doing. Manually pushing down on the throttle. It sometimes seems to get stuck and won’t accelerate until you so this.

100% agreed on your noted highs and lows.

I have the basic/free EAP and never use it because it’s barely useful to even just swap sunglasses. No chance in hell I’d use FSD even if it came with the car.

TACC is a lifesaver for your ankle on a 12-hour drive - if there’s no traffic, because phantom braking and the slow return to set speed are super annoying.

But, that said, there is no better charging scenario for road-tripping than Tesla, and the car is otherwise pretty decent as well. I love mine, have over 71k miles on it and have driven it all over the West.

BTW, your wipers return to auto when you engage autopilot because the system requires it to operate.

100% agreed on your noted highs and lows.

I have the basic/free EAP and never use it because it’s barely useful to even just swap sunglasses. No chance in hell I’d use FSD even if it came with the car.

TACC is a lifesaver for your ankle on a 12-hour drive - if there’s no traffic, because phantom braking and the slow return to set speed are super annoying.

But, that said, there is no better charging scenario for road-tripping than Tesla, and the car is otherwise pretty decent as well. I love mine, have over 71k miles on it and have driven it all over the West.

BTW, your wipers return to auto when you engage autopilot because the system requires it to operate.
Hi, good to hear. The wipers are returning to Auto mode when just using cruise. I stopped using Autopilot about two days ago. The wipers returning to Auto would be OK if they’d stop activating in sunshine when there’s no moisture.

Spent two weeks on the road. Barely ever used autopilot as you can’t do anything normal with it it engaged. Dipped my chin slightly to take a bite of a wrap and it shut off and told me I wasn’t driving safely. It’s completely useless now and a waste of money. Did notice though that if I wore sunglasses, it was less prone to shutting off.

Autopilot as a driver safety aid is worse than a normal car with normal cruise. At least in my old Ford, I don’t have to worry about it shutting off driver aids just because I took a bite of a wrap.

Could not shut off the windshield wipers. Even after going into settings and changing it from Auto to Off wouldn’t fix the issue. The wipers would start back up about 10-15 minutes later.

I’d say we put on about 3500 miles this trip. We only used Superchargers and they were plentiful and located in areas where one could go to the bathroom and grab a coffee.

The car is very comfortable on the highway. The cruise control is almost as annoying as Autopilot. When you come up to a slower vehicle and have to wait to pass, it takes the Tesla 10 to fifteen seconds to come back up to the set speed once you’re in the free lane.

I’ll be looking for another EV soon and it probably won’t be a Tesla unless these issues are fixed in a few years.
AP, EAP and FSD are amazing tools especially for long distance driving
the M3 and MY are the most popular vehicles in the world related to top customer sat with the entire Tesla ecosystem
unless you have or create an open mind to doing things a new way, you should go to legacy EV or ICE vehicles
us on this forum are about open mind, considering new ways, and commitment to the mission

sorry for being blunt, but you should have done your homework, demo drives, etc before buying a Tesla

Reactions: RSpanner
I haven’t taken any long trips but I have been doing a lot of highway driving with my new Model Y and currently have a free subscription to FSDb. I’ve been using TACC, AS, ALC, and NoA. There have been a couple nags I didn’t understand (my hands were on the wheel even though it said I needed to place my hands on the wheel) so to prevent being locked out, I disabled AP, and then re-enabled it (each time that worked). I did get one other nag last weekend…but it was correct; I had taken my eyes off the road…hard to get upset about that one (it was right after all!). I don’t think I have the latest software though; I’m on 2023.44.30.8. Is there a new version? Is that new version more of a nag?

the M3 and MY are the most popular vehicles in the world related to top customer sat with the entire Tesla ecosystem
unless you have or create an open mind to doing things a new way, you should go to legacy EV or ICE vehicles
us on this forum are about open mind, considering new ways, and commitment to the mission

sorry for being blunt, but you should have done your homework, demo drives, etc before buying a Tesla
I didn’t buy it. It’s the wife’s car.

No they aren’t (customer sat) at least if you believe Consumer Reports.

It will also turn off lane departure assistance very quickly when driving in a construction zone that forces one to drive on the shoulder. I get that but Telsa’s approach seems to be to shut off aids when a driver might most benefit from them.

I haven’t taken any long trips but I have been doing a lot of highway driving with my new Model Y and currently have a free subscription to FSDb. I’ve been using TACC, AS, ALC, and NoA. There have been a couple nags I didn’t understand (my hands were on the wheel even though it said I needed to place my hands on the wheel) so to prevent being locked out, I disabled AP, and then re-enabled it (each time that worked). I did get one other nag last weekend…but it was correct; I had taken my eyes off the road…hard to get upset about that one (it was right after all!). I don’t think I have the latest software though; I’m on 2023.44.30.8. Is there a new version? Is that new version more of a nag?
the govt has been forcing more nags if the sensors dont feel your arm weight

to minimize nags advice:
obviously look forward
next, hang your left or right arm through the wheel opening, where your wrist rests on the wheel

these two measures allow me to almost have no nags
not as relaxing as no hands on the wheel, but the fed requirements are preventing that

Reactions: PassingLane
the govt has been forcing more nags if the sensors dont feel your arm weight

to minimize nags advice:
obviously look forward
next, hang your left or right arm through the wheel opening, where your wrist rests on the wheel

these two measures allow me to almost have no nags
not as relaxing as no hands on the wheel, but the fed requirements are preventing that
More than just nags. I’ve already received one strike. That was for grabbing a coffee from the cupholder. My wife and agreed we just won’t use autopilot anymore.

More than just nags. I’ve already received one strike. That was for grabbing a coffee from the cupholder. My wife and agreed we just won’t use autopilot anymore.
Hmm, I regularly drink my tea / water from the cupholder and never got dinged by AP. Keep in mind its you face that it monitors so if you are looking around chatting with your spouse while grabbing that coffee it will rightfully ding you as you are supposed to keep your eyes on the road.

It will also turn off lane departure assistance very quickly when driving in a construction zone that forces one to drive on the shoulder. I get that but Telsa’s approach seems to be to shut off aids when a driver might most benefit from them.
Or to invoke them when there's no danger. About twice a week my M3 suddenly and inexplicably sounds the "out of control" (my terminology) claxon warning, screaming at me to take immediate control, even though I'm usually going 30mph, have both hands on the wheel and am looking straight ahead.

Stuff like that is why I believe FSD will never be near 100% reliable. Computers and AI don't have the ability to process information and evaluate situations as efficiently as the human brain.