Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there something wrong with MYLR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

We have a new MYLR and I really need to know if ours is faulty, or if autopilot is just this bad generally.

Examples:
Normal dumb cruise control - random roads it just won't work on, it knows the speed limit but won't do it. There are multiple roads where it does this.
Submitted a bug report about the above issue and then the bluetooth wouldn't work again until the entire screen/computer was soft reset
Advanced autopilot (autosteer) is nowhere near the centre of the lane, but only on left hand bends - it is extremely close to the dividing lane, meaning that if there are oncoming vehicles also close the divider, it's pretty worrying, especially with trucks.
Lane departure absolutely does not alert you about drifting into oncoming traffic, it ONLY works if you are leaving the road on the left.
Cruise control will often throw us into a roundabout far too fast, then slow to a crawl when exiting.
The windscreen wipers can't be turned off when using cruise control (which I understand is due to the cameras at top of windscreen) but they are simply erratic, sometimes in rain you can't see through they'll not come on, other times they'll be having an absolute fit when it isn't raining at all, or when it's extremely light, essentially just misting.

We paid the extra $5k for the advanced autopilot and I won't even use it, it's far too disconcerting to use.

The car is otherwise fantastic but we really bought it for the smarts, and I think ours has been lobotomized.

Thanks

Reactions: Skavatar
Hi,

We have a new MYLR and I really need to know if ours is faulty, or if autopilot is just this bad generally.

Examples:
Normal dumb cruise control - random roads it just won't work on, it knows the speed limit but won't do it. There are multiple roads where it does this.
Submitted a bug report about the above issue and then the bluetooth wouldn't work again until the entire screen/computer was soft reset
Advanced autopilot (autosteer) is nowhere near the centre of the lane, but only on left hand bends - it is extremely close to the dividing lane, meaning that if there are oncoming vehicles also close the divider, it's pretty worrying, especially with trucks.
Lane departure absolutely does not alert you about drifting into oncoming traffic, it ONLY works if you are leaving the road on the left.
Cruise control will often throw us into a roundabout far too fast, then slow to a crawl when exiting.
The windscreen wipers can't be turned off when using cruise control (which I understand is due to the cameras at top of windscreen) but they are simply erratic, sometimes in rain you can't see through they'll not come on, other times they'll be having an absolute fit when it isn't raining at all, or when it's extremely light, essentially just misting.

We paid the extra $5k for the advanced autopilot and I won't even use it, it's far too disconcerting to use.

The car is otherwise fantastic but we really bought it for the smarts, and I think ours has been lobotomized.

Thanks
Sadly the tesla tacc is very low standard and has been overtaken by brands that now have roundabout control and right turn lane control automated in their tacc.
Be sure to read the warning in the manual about random acts of phantom braking whilst using autopilot.
The car should be centering in the lane though, so maybe try a re-calibration of the system using a road with as many lanes as possible. You will find camera recalibration in the settings.

As mentioned above, TACC is not capable enough for handling roundabouts smoothly. It doesn't take into account cornering speed enough and is mostly focused around lane centering, maximum speed limits & car follow distance. Saying that, it should be hugging the middle of the lane and not the right. Remember that TACC will not stop at red lights, stop signs, and has no concept of right of way for things like roundabouts, give way signs, t-intersections, etc.

Land departure has triggered for me when crossing lane markings (not just leaving road) so that doesn't sound like it's working as expected in your case. Was the line dotted or solid you noticed it not working on?

As mentioned above, TACC is not capable enough for handling roundabouts smoothly. It doesn't take into account cornering speed enough and is mostly focused around lane centering, maximum speed limits & car follow distance. Saying that, it should be hugging the middle of the lane and not the right. Remember that TACC will not stop at red lights, stop signs, and has no concept of right of way for things like roundabouts, give way signs, t-intersections, etc.

Land departure has triggered for me when crossing lane markings (not just leaving road) so that doesn't sound like it's working as expected in your case. Was the line dotted or solid you noticed it not working on?
Just to clarify, TACC does not do lane centering, Autopilot (Beta) does lane centering, otherwise known as Autosteer. TACC is just cruise control, with sterring controlled by the driver.

Tesla has some 'smarts' but it still requires a competent driver to operate it. I do not recommend using Autopilot/TACC on suburban roads. It works great on highways and motorways.

Hi,

Examples:

Thanks
What you're describing won't come as a surprise to any long term owner, if you can get a refund on the Advanced Autopilot do it. From my 30k kms of dealing with this stuff:
  1. Use the cruise control in most places, but disable it by lightly tapping the brake whenever approaching any intersection. (Bonus points if you can get the car to glide to a stop at exactly the right spot using only the regen).
  2. When using cruise control, drive with your foot hovering over the accelerator in order to override any phantom or overly conservative sudden braking.
  3. Use autopilot only on well marked freeways, and even then only when the traffic is light to moderate. Whilst autopilot is on, monitor it like you would an L Plater out on their first drive.
  4. For software updates, some updates might improve any of the above issues, some updates might make them worse. I monitor the software updates thread in this forum for people's experience, and selectively choose to update the software on the car when there's a stable new release with enough new features to make it worth the risk. My longest stint so far has been 9 months of rejecting updates.
The wiper problem that you described fits into point 4 perfectly, over the past 3 years Tesla has had multiple attempts at getting this right. Some make it worse, some make it better. Overall it's a great car, however all the issues that you've described are its weakness but one which Tesla will hopefully eventually get right.

it knows the speed limit but won't do it. There are multiple roads where it does this.
Submitted a bug report about the above issue
Suggest read the Tesla owners manual for what Speed assist really means. It's different to what you think it does

Pre 2016 Tesla and MobilEye (the company who owns the patent to camera detection of speed limit signs had a close working relationship with Mobile eye incorporating its tech into pre 2016 Autopilot software. However in 2016 MobileEye was bought by Intel and the partnership ended. Post 2016 Tesla used GPS speed limit zones instead. More recently Tesla has developed its own speed limit sign detection tech in Update 2020.36. However this feature is reserved for FSD users only in Australia.

So basically a non FSD in Australia Tesla cannot read Speed limits. I stand corrected if this has since changed

If a speed limit sign is not in the nav nap, it does not recognise it.
If a speed limit sign is removed such as roadworks or new roads it will think the speed limit sign is still there
If in a tunnel, it may use the speed limit sign of an adjacent surface road.
In a tunnel it thinks the overhead green and yellow lane lights are traffic lights.
The 40kmh bus sign is also a problem
Many school zone time conditional 40kmh are also not recognised though many are

Yes Tesla is high tech🤣

bluetooth wouldn't work again until the entire screen/computer was soft reset
Occasionally this happens - not just Bluetooth but 2 button reset is required when the screen sometimes goes blank. Afterall, it's a computer in the background

Advanced autopilot (autosteer) is nowhere near the centre of the lane, but only on left hand bends - it is extremely close to the dividing lane
Agree, it's not very good with keeping the centre of lane in a curve
Yes Tesla is high tech🤣

Lane departure absolutely does not alert you about drifting into oncoming traffic, it ONLY works if you are leaving the road on the left
As per the original suggestion to read the Tesla owners manual, in this case suggest read what Lane Assist and lane departure avoidance really means. It's different to what you think it does

Cruise control will often throw us into a roundabout far too fast, then slow to a crawl when exiting
TACC is only cruise control. Nothing to do with roundabouts. It does slow down a bit for roundabouts but not enough a driver still needs to take over

The windscreen wipers
It is improving and for me it's now pretty good. You can now turn it off while using AutoSteer

We paid the extra $5k for the advanced autopilot and I won't even use it
Sorry you wasted $5.01k. Agree it's a total waste of $$$. Also when you change your car you cannot transfer your EAP to the new car unless Elon does a special (which he did for a specific set of owners).

Note I read recently the number of Tesla with FSD on the road has remained static at approx 400,000 cars despite Tesla selling millions of cars. Tells you something about what drivers think of EAP and FSD despite what the sycophantic FSD demonstrators on YouTube are saying.

TACC does not do lane centering,
Lane assist and Lane departure avoidance is not dependant on TACC or Autosteer.

Last edited:
Reactions: forgetful duck
You mean Enhanced Autopilot? You should have done the research before wasting your money. Not after
This was unnecessarily harsh. Lived experience trumps any amount of prior research. Tesla make a lot of claims about EAP and FSD, and there are enough voices on the internet talking up these and other features. I didn't fall for EAP, but I did believe other claims (such as highway range, echoed in multiple articles and indeed on this forum) which have proven disappointing in my ownership experience. It is possible to "have done the research" and still be oversold.

@noobz, I'm sorry your experience has been poor. I agree with most of the advice and observations already given by others. It's a frustrating situation to be in. I would love to think there will.be a magical software update that cures all these ills, but I can't see it happening any time soon. The crappy lane position might be helped by a recalibration, though.

The crappy lane position might be helped by a recalibration, though.
There is a section of road that I travel on every day which widens from 1 lane to a larger 1 lane. Autosteer consistently fails to recognise it and tried to suddenly veer left then suddenly veer right. While Autosteer is not for city streets, this is a straight road. After 6 months it's still makes the same mistake

However this feature is reserved for FSD users only in Australia.

So basically a non FSD in Australia Tesla cannot read Speed limits. I stand corrected if this has since changed

If a speed limit sign is not in the nav nap, it does not recognise it.

This is incorrect. Cars without FSD in Australia recognise and apply speed limits from the cameras just fine.

If a speed limit sign is removed such as roadworks or new roads it will think the speed limit sign is still there

This is true, because it uses both map data and the camera-recognised signs. It's not usual for speed limit signs to be removed without replacement, though.

If in a tunnel, it may use the speed limit sign of an adjacent surface road.

This only happens for very new tunnels that aren't in the map data yet.

I just don’t get the varying degree of performance by EAP/Autosteer.

Recently, EAP drove through three sets of highways (M1, M80 & M2 in Melbourne) on Navigate on Autopilot , signalling and taking each exit and merging correctly back onto the next highway. I have disabled auto overtaking (it can only suggest), otherwise it would have done that too.

I rarely get phantom braking, most of it due to idiots driving erratically ahead of me.

Reactions: Jules22

Recently, EAP drove through three sets of highways (M1, M80 & M2 in Melbourne) on Navigate on Autopilot , signalling and taking each exit and merging correctly back onto the next highway. I have disabled auto overtaking (it can only suggest), otherwise it would have done that too.

I rarely get phantom braking, most of it due to idiots driving erratically ahead of me.
Yep, my experiences are similar to yours, I did have a couple of issues with the 2020 M3 doing CBR to BNE and back mostly on EAP/FSD, it did try to move into exit lanes a few times, half the time it corrected before I did, the other times I corrected it and at no time did it ever leave the lane.

Other than that a couple of minor slow downs, crossing traffic on a highway caused a reasonably quick slow down but if you are driving correctly you catch it within a couple of km/h, just feels a lot more dramatic than it actually is. I know they've made some improvements to this so I'm looking forward to testing it again when I do the same trip in my M3H in April.

I've only done a couple of hundred km so far in the 2024 M3H and so far it has been perfect, hasn't tried to move into exit lanes etc as yet. I think part of the issue is that people compare this system to much more limited systems on other cars (and recency bias generally means they forget all of the issues those cars actually do experience). What Tesla is doing is revolutionary and will result in a MUCH more capable system. They are very clear about what the limitations currently are and how you are expected to use it, I find if you operate within those parameters there are no issues whatsoever.

A look at the current FSD V12 videos shows you the potential of this system, we can only hope that regulators here finally allow wider testing of this system in Australia so that our cars can catch up to how these systems work elsewhere.

Reactions: SPadival

Phantom braking usually happens for me with no-one around. The car just decides it has had enough driving and wants to stop now. It is a full braking event. This is different to the constant problems of tacc being overly nervous and slowing rapidly for cars crossing 300 metres away.

Reactions: Maximillan

I think the varying performance may be the multitude of different systems tesla has found itself managing. Different computer powers, some with radar, some with sensors, high res/low res camera’s,

I think the varying performance may be the multitude of different systems tesla has found itself managing. Different computer powers, some with radar, some with sensors, high res/low res camera’s,
Yeah, I definitely think that plays a factor. At least prior to HW3, I haven't seen any significant difference between HW3 and HW4 as yet apart from the camera view looking better to the driver.