Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspicious influx of Demo Model S/X in new inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been stalking Tesla new inventory on a daily basis for the past month in my area(GTA, Canada). There's usually none or perhaps 1 or 2 that'll get sold pretty quickly.

All of a sudden I noticed a influx of Demo units. There are 11 Demo Model S and 22 Demo Model X!!

This is suspicious for a couple of reasons.

1. After talking to multiple SA over the course of the last few months, demo units are put on sale randomly by Tesla headoffice and often staggered between stores. They tend to line up to quarter end or after being around for 3 months.

2. If you look at the details of these Demo units, you can tell how long they've been "on the floor" based on the date for when the 4yr Limited warranty (80k km) expires. I don't see the same information on the US demo vehicles. Up here in Canada, there are Model S where where it expires July 2027 and also October 2027!! Which implies that they just made it on the floor and are getting cleared out!!

Has anybody in the states been tracking new inventory and noticed the same thing?

What does this mean???
Let your imagination run wild! 😉

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Screenshot of inventory

Screenshot_20231108_231817_Samsung Internet.jpg

I can't imagine it's as simple as transition over from '23 to '24. Since Tesla is adamant on updates not following model year, then there's no reason why they can't leave a '23 sitting in the show room when '24s are being delivered to customers.

Something different is coming.. especially if they are forgoing lots of demo vehicles that just arrived into the showroom.

You're right. I'm tracking the Canadian inventory on a daily basis including CPO.

I noticed one more pattern happening here in BC, Canada. This is a bit of a tangent from the current topic but I see that as soon as a CPO comes up it sells in < 24 hours.

After a week or 2 I see that being sold by a dealership for a +20k price tag.

I suspect the dealers have some inside contacts with the Tesla sales rep or the dealers are grabbing them asap to keep the value of the used model s high.

Either way the dealers are going to lose a lot of money if the ambient lighting / front camera upgrade comes out.

Certainly seems to be something going on. Large influx of demo vehicles in my area too, most with very low miles.

I'm not going to get my hopes up though. Could just be Tesla selling off slated demo inventory to increase revenue

My Tesla store only had one Model S demo car and it was a Plaid. It's now for sale on the website. It sure seems like a minor refresh is coming. Why would they sell their only Model S demo unit? That's why I'm canceling my existing order and waiting a few weeks (posted on the "delivery thread"). If no minor refresh at least I'll have a 24 VIN.

Certainly seems to be something going on. Large influx of demo vehicles in my area too, most with very low miles.

I'm not going to get my hopes up though. Could just be Tesla selling off slated demo inventory to increase revenue
That's the only counter argument that I can think of. Q3 sales fell short of target, but Elon kept the year end targets unchanged. They would need to have a huge Q4 to meet that forecast. If they can't produce fast enough, then selling all their demos is certainly an alternative. I just would have expected to see at least some discount to intice people to pull the trigger.

Reactions: msm859
I hope that's what it means and we'll see some of these new cars in the showroom soon. I don’t think it'll be immediate because it's unlikely all these demos get sold in 1-2 days. Folks are probably getting contacted now about a "faster match" option.
For what its worth, I've came across a scenario where the SA told me they just sold the only model S demo, so they don't yet have one available for a test drive.