Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is red hot in China, for different reasons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per latest report http://xtesla.com/thread-702-1-1.html, here is the Agenda for Elon's China trip:
04/19: arriving Beijing
04/20: attend openning ceremony of Beijing Auto Show
04/21: attend Geekpark innovator summit
04/22: attend ceremony of first delivery to Chinese customers

SpaceX has a launch later today. I hope all goes well and there is no delay that would interfere with Elon's China trip. I've always wondered how much of Tesla's schedule is dictated by the timing of SpaceX launches, which generally are not flexible dates.

SpaceX has a launch later today. I hope all goes well and there is no delay that would interfere with Elon's China trip. I've always wondered how much of Tesla's schedule is dictated by the timing of SpaceX launches, which generally are not flexible dates.

Today’s launch has been scrubbed due to a Helium leak on Falcon 9’s first stage. A fix will be implemented by the next launch opportunity on Friday April 18, though weather on that date isn’t ideal.

Will Elon Musk delay his trip to China as well?

Today’s launch has been scrubbed due to a Helium leak on Falcon 9’s first stage. A fix will be implemented by the next launch opportunity on Friday April 18, though weather on that date isn’t ideal.

Will Elon Musk delay his trip to China as well?

Well if he launches on the 18th and if it works he can go to China and just leave his team to do the berthing to ISS (the schedule up to now would have had that happen on Wednesday...). So not optimal, but I doubt he'll reschedule the China trip based on that.

Here is some news I found:

http://news.mydrivers.com/1/300/300715.htm

It mentions 5000 cars ordering however, it mentions about some lawsuit. Any native chinese speakers want to clarify a few things here?

It is some issue Elon and Tesla China should resolve as soon as possible. Basically there are hundreds people put deposit last year even before the China pricing announced in Jan., they were promised that they can get the car in the first batch group with priority. But with the delivery date approaching, only Beijing and Shanghai owners got notification that car will be delivered to them in priority and the delivery to the rest of the people in other cities will be delayed. Actually it's understandable for Tesla China to alter their stance because if there is no service center available other than Beijing/Shanghai, then the user experience might be a nightmare especially for those early adopters. But some people insist that they love Tesla even there is NO service, and they should get car delivered as promise. It's not something can't be resolved, but need more communication and understanding. Hope the dust can be settled down soon.

Here is some news I found:

http://news.mydrivers.com/1/300/300715.htm

It mentions 5000 cars ordering however, it mentions about some lawsuit. Any native chinese speakers want to clarify a few things here?

Chinese Automaker Looking To Beat Tesla Motors Inc At Its Own Game

"According to Heyi, his company will partner with an American automaker to develop a new model of electric car next year. He said, “The new model will outperform Tesla’s Model S.”
"...
the company (Tesla) does not offer anything new when it comes to technology."

Yeah right - let's see anyone develop a better EV than the Model S "next year".

Chinese Automaker Looking To Beat Tesla Motors Inc At Its Own Game

"According to Heyi, his company will partner with an American automaker to develop a new model of electric car next year. He said, “The new model will outperform Tesla’s Model S.”
"...
the company (Tesla) does not offer anything new when it comes to technology."

Yeah right - let's see anyone develop a better EV than the Model S "next year".

He might as well beat SpaceX too while he's at it!

The really good thing is that other companies are now referencing Tesla as "the one to beat". It's not the i3 or the i8, not any of the big old brands. It's one thing when you try to estabilish your company/product in people's minds as superior to all others, but when your competitors do it for you, that's golden!

Thank you for the free marketing! :)

The really good thing is that other companies are now referencing Tesla as "the one to beat". It's not the i3 or the i8, not any of the big old brands. It's one thing when you try to estabilish your company/product in people's minds as superior to all others, but when your competitors do it for you, that's golden!

Thank you for the free marketing! :)

Good point

I checked Chinese Tesla forum this morning. I believe many customers would be present at the delivery ceremony, and challenge Elon about the arrangement of delivery order.
Hopefully, Elon has already prepared a plan to comfort those angry customers. I really really hope Tesla is not showing up negative public image in China.

For Elon's trip in China, my position is conservative positive.

Per latest report http://xtesla.com/thread-702-1-1.html, here is the Agenda for Elon's China trip:

Logically I would think Tesla would be in Beijing Auto Show now because Elon will attend the openning ceremony. Probably it's due to China delivery delay and Elon managed to have his China trip, first delivery overlapped with Beijing Auto Show. But I still didn't see report to confirm this. Anyway speculate some announcement and buzz over the next weekend.

So, Elon Musk will be arriving today in Beijing.

Will there be any media attention?

I checked Chinese Tesla forum this morning. I believe many customers would be present at the delivery ceremony, and challenge Elon about the arrangement of delivery order.
Hopefully, Elon has already prepared a plan to comfort those angry customers. I really really hope Tesla is not showing up negative public image in China.

Tesla fails to deliver pre-ordered cars on time in China

A Tesla customers has said that several clients of Tesla Motors, which produces electric cars, have recently received notifications asking them to pick up their pre-ordered cars in Beijing and Shanghai, while the remaining customers residing outside the two cities have been unable to obtain their booked cars in the sequence of orders placed, according to the website of Guangzhou-based 21st Century Business Herald.

A total of 23 electric car buyers from Chinese cities other than Beijing and Shanghai are considering taking legal action to defend their rights.

Larry

Interesting to note 04/20 is the "press day" for Beijing Autoshow. Real exhibitioin starting from 04/21-04/29. See official link http://china-autoshow.com/en/

I speculate there might have some news to be released to media on that day.

Logically I would think Tesla would be in Beijing Auto Show now because Elon will attend the openning ceremony. Probably it's due to China delivery delay and Elon managed to have his China trip, first delivery overlapped with Beijing Auto Show. But I still didn't see report to confirm this. Anyway speculate some announcement and buzz over the next weekend.

Last edited: