Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did have a drive on the 30th, between 1 and 2 so it could have been me :) Sorry if I didn't notice your wave, I was too busy being in love with the car. I was worried about it being a 'big' car, as most of the forums say, but it was beautiful! I also had to be pushed to accelerate for more than a few seconds, I would push and then immediately back off because I thought I was going too fast. I was already obsessed with the car before, now I'm probably not going to get a good night's sleep until I can eventually own one :p Will definitely be telling anyone who will listen how amazing it is. Jealous of all who have theirs coming soon, but also incredibly happy for you :D

Just curious to know how many Aussie forum members have driven a Tesla MS?

I've been for several drives in Melbourne. One from my place back before they they were doing the Marriot drives, and one last week at an EV event at Coburg.

The general consensus is that marketing would increase sales and blow out the order queue even further. I imagine we'll see some come when the queue length invariably drops.

Looks like the Melbourne Demo drive route was much better than Sydney.
Mine was a short drive in peak hour across the Anzac Bridge and back to Pyrmont.
Still the P85 made for quick overtaking when needed.
I drove it in 2012 in Palo Alto and wanted to see if it was still as fast as I remembered.
It was faster.

Looks like the Melbourne Demo drive route was much better than Sydney.
Mine was a short drive in peak hour across the Anzac Bridge and back to Pyrmont.
Still the P85 made for quick overtaking when needed.
I drove it in 2012 in Palo Alto and wanted to see if it was still as fast as I remembered.
It was faster.
Agree, the Sydney route was pathetic, but better than nothing. I got a squeal out of my wife in Harris street, after i missed the turn and got into a quieter section and very briefly gunned it!! heh heh heh.

A fairly detailed article on the potential for "deep decarbonisation" of Australia.

It recognises the shift required for vehicles to electric power and makes specific reference and photo of Tesla model S.

http://mobile.news.com.au/technolog...d-power-stations/story-e6frflp0-1227112952731

Thanks for sharing Tes - great article.

On a separate note - can any of you guys access the Australian design studio? Wherever I press "order" it just takes me back to the landing page...

Edit: just saw that the earnings call was on and shareholders letter released - and thought the following were interesting:

1. Confirmed that deliveries to Australia would begin before end of the year

2. Model S has a higher gross margin than the automotive industry, despite the fact that it's made in the US. This shows me that 1st world countries can and will retain an advantage in manufacturing if they focus on technologically advanced processes that rely more on innovation than on labour. Also tells me we could pay less for our cars :D

3. Tesla planning more than 2,000 cars per week by end of 2015. That's around 100,000 cars per year. Fast forward to 2017, where there will be the Model S, Model X and Model III, I think they will actually need more capacity than that

4. Tesla's Shenzhen store is already one of the highest grossing stores worldwide, showing that it has struck a cord with the Chinese. I think that will, more than anything, contribute to other auto manufacturers investing heavily in EVs, as China is the industry's hope for growth.

Last edited:
Just curious to know how many Aussie forum members have driven a Tesla MS?

I was lucky enough to have a test drive in Melbourne last Friday (Oct 31) and I'm still in awe of this fantastic car & what the company has done in a few short years.
My first view of the car was that it blended in with all the other cars and didn't look particularly expensive, most people walking past didn't notice it. Others have commented on the interior and I'd have to agree that it doesn't feel or look like a $100,000 + car, more like a $40,000 one. What you are paying for is the tech that cannot be seen but is used
as soon as you drive off

I too have test driven it and was blown away from the tech and speed of this car. While I decided to pass on ordering it this time around I will wait a few years and almost certainly move to a Tesla at that stage as I love the car and the company. While the technology in the car leaves every other automaker decades behind, I have to agree with you in the statement that the interior certainly doesn't feel $100K let alone near $200K for the top spec model. Comparing it to the german brands it certainly isn't up there in terms of interior styling, quality and craftmanship and that's not comparing it to their flagships either. I've compared it to a sub $100K Mercedes and weirdly enough the Mercedes feels better inside.HOWEVER, get inside a Tesla and the sensational touch screen and driver side display units blow you away and most people hardly look anywhere else in the car!

If Tesla poach a few interior engineers from the Germans and put some major focus on leap frogging the competition on the interiors as well, the car will be the best thing on 4 wheels without a doubt.

On a separate note - can any of you guys access the Australian design studio? Wherever I press "order" it just takes me back to the landing page...

Edit: just saw that the earnings call was on and shareholders letter released - and thought the following were interesting:

1. Confirmed that deliveries to Australia would begin before end of the year

2. Model S has a higher gross margin than the automotive industry, despite the fact that it's made in the US. This shows me that 1st world countries can and will retain an advantage in manufacturing if they focus on technologically advanced processes that rely more on innovation than on labour. Also tells me we could pay less for our cars :D

3. Tesla planning more than 2,000 cars per week by end of 2015. That's around 100,000 cars per year. Fast forward to 2017, where there will be the Model S, Model X and Model III, I think they will actually need more capacity than that

4. Tesla's Shenzhen store is already one of the highest grossing stores worldwide, showing that it has struck a cord with the Chinese. I think that will, more than anything, contribute to other auto manufacturers investing heavily in EVs, as China is the industry's hope for growth.

They've also removed a bunch of options and colours - your Brown will be one of only a handful in Australia as it had been discontinued, along with green.
Black roofs are also gone, and so are the 60D and P85

Just gotta call from Tim @ Tesla - quizzed me on Tesla ETA...I said March...he said sooner...I said Jan!!!...he said sooner...ETA December...*faints*

Possible delays - customs & Melbourne service centre opening...

*slow deep breaths*...iinnnn....out......iiiinnnnn....oouuuttt.....:rolleyes:

You're almost here my presssciousss......be patient....

Of course I will regret this decision when the P85D arrives in Australia....

Don't worry mate, I'm sure you'll be able to offload the car to someone.

- - - Updated - - -

Just gotta call from Tim @ Tesla - quizzed me on Tesla ETA...I said March...he said sooner...I said Jan!!!...he said sooner...ETA December...*faints*

Possible delays - customs & Melbourne service centre opening...

*slow deep breaths*...iinnnn....out......iiiinnnnn....oouuuttt.....:rolleyes:

You're almost here my presssciousss......be patient....

Congrats!! Just to clarify - he thinks you'll get Dec delivery even though your car hasn't gone into production yet? That's awesome!

After the call today, they are desperate to get as many cars delivered everywhere ASAP. There was a shortfall on the guidance, and i think share price will take a hit tomorrow, which is why i have a buy order in..... As we can see, production time is about 5 days, mine was a major aberration!!
They do not celebrate boxing day in the USA as far as i know, and they have been known to deliver cars on Sunday in the USA. I would think that there will be a large FIFO commissioning team flown in after launch, and there are going to be a LOT of deliveries in short order!!