Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming that pricing is shortly released we can expect a flurry of Australia specific discussions - how can we request a sub forum for Australia (eg like they have for Hong Kong)?

It would be good to have separate threads for say pricing, charging, EV friendly locations, events etc.

Have sent private message to Bonnie, assuming she is still a moderator, asking for the sub forum. If you know any other moderators, you could do the same
Doug is the Head Moderator \ Administrator
DOUG.jpg

What? No way will it be $120,000!!!! Base model will come in under $100,000 I reckon.

I'm pretty comfortable working off these figures (earlier in this thread):

60 kWh Model S = 69,900 + 1,170 USD = 71,070 USD * 1.09724 AUD/USD = 77,978 AUD = Customs Value (CV)
Shipping + Insurance = 4,000 AUD
VoTI = 77,978 + 4,000 = 81,978 AUD
GST = VoTI*0.10 = 8,198 AUD
LCV = VoTI + GST = 90,176 AUD
LCT = (90,176 - 75,375)*0.3 = 4,884 AUD
Total price (LCV+LCT): 95,060 AUD

But I've always felt this to be quite optimistic. My natural pessimism makes me add $10K to that. Like the BMW i3 which we were promised would land here for between $50K and $70K drive away and which has come in at $75K and up. That's Australia for ya.

Well, we're half-way through the week and still nothing.

Do Tesla know it's a public holiday here on Friday? I guess that won't necessarily stop them from making any announcements.

Houdini - at current exchange rates you can actually knock a couple of thousand off that calculation! I agree though - it's an optimistic calculation.

Anyone interested in starting a 'Tesla pricing anxiety' psychological support group?

Do Tesla know it's a public holiday here on Friday? I guess that won't necessarily stop them from making any announcements.

They have until midnight Friday. Or possibly Midnight Sunday depending on your definition of a week! :) And then if it's midnight Sunday that really means start of business Monday right? so as long as it's here by 9am Monday we're sorted. Unless the web server was playing up and we couldn't get emails out for some reason even though we sent it to reservation holders. Tech support will be working on it all morning and we're sure to get you something by lunchtime OK? Unless it's something really bad and then maybe we'll need tech support to work all night and they will get it back and the emails will go out asap so definitely today, or tomorrow.

:tongue:

Houdini - at current exchange rates you can actually knock a couple of thousand off that calculation! I agree though - it's an optimistic calculation.

Anyone interested in starting a 'Tesla pricing anxiety' psychological support group?

I don't think you can bank on current exchange rates, because you need to look at the best corporate rate they could get...factoring in forward exchange contracts I'd say they'd be sitting at 0.9.

Tesla have told me again that it would be this week, although they always add the "but it might get pushed out to next week" line.

Also, more realistically, anyone getting the base model would be getting some options, so:

60kwh Model S with options (metallic paint, leather interior + performance seats, pano roof, wood grain trim, tech package, supercharger enabled, parking sensors, parcel shelf = $83,970 / 0.9 = $93,300 AUD = Customs Value (Houdini what's the 1,170 in your calcs?)
Shipping + insurance = 4,000 AUD
VoTI = 93,300 + 4,000 = 97,300 AUD
GST = 9,730
LCV = 107,030
LCT = (107,030 - 75,375) * 0.3 = 9,496.50 AUD
Total Price = $116,526.50
FOR THE BASE MODEL - OMG OK not looking so affordable now :( And plus I don't think I would skimp on any of the options above...

I..., so:

60kwh Model S with options (metallic paint, leather interior + performance seats, pano roof, wood grain trim, tech package, supercharger enabled, parking sensors, parcel shelf = $83,970 / 0.9 = $93,300 AUD = Customs Value (Houdini what's the 1,170 in your calcs?)

Not my calcs so don't know. Got them from here: Tesla in Australia? - Page 45

- - - Updated - - -

Still, seems like the Model S will be getting here before the i3 at least....

i3 will be delivered to Customers in November so it might be a tight race :)

The message i got in so many words from Jerome Guillen, VP of sales and service, was pricing will be out before the end of next (current) week". Is Good Friday not a holiday in the USA? Also, you definitely need to include stamp duty in price calculations. For NSW 3% up to, i think $45000 ($1350) then 5% thereafter. A significant sum of money given that it is a tax on a tax on a tax!!!
Seems that Good Friday is NOT a public holiday in California. It is in 14 other States!!

Last edited: