Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hurt their own profits by putting wimpy chargers in 3's.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a juicebox EVSE connected to a NEMA 14-50 plug that I was using to charge my Fiat 500E. I was planning to just use that with the J1772 adapter to charge at home and keep the UMC in the car and buy another J1772 adapter. Anyone see a flaw in this plan?
that's what we are using. The only thing that we wonder about is taking the adapter off & on - frequently installing and removing the adapter. This happens because our junkie 6yr old Leaf needs to be charged every day (sometimes 2X per/day), while the model X typically isn't charged but maybe 2X/week.

that's what we are using. The only thing that we wonder about is taking the adapter off & on - frequently installing and removing the adapter. This happens because our junkie 6yr old Leaf needs to be charged every day (sometimes 2X per/day), while the model X typically isn't charged but maybe 2X/week.
I was thinking the same thing and have the "nissan" Aerovironment EVSE and was thinking of getting an extra adapter, but I'd still have to manually trigger the charge door.
BTW - have to give kudos for still having your ancient Leaf :)

IMG_0103.JPG
My WC is going right here (the black cable hanging) with a 14-50 going outside (the other black cable).

Similar scenario to above. Going to have my '15 Leaf and the 3. Thanks to a friendly TMC member, I scored one of the Tesla port fobs that were being made a couple of years ago. Get J1772 adapter to pop charge port door

IMG_0150.JPG

This gives me a "port open" button right on my EVSE. I'm thinking of 3d printing a holder for the adapter to hang on the wall. I don't want to keep putting it in the car and taking it out.

If you run out of power or a Supercharger is down, being able to stop at an RV park to charge is a possibility. For local use, go ahead and leave the UMC at home. When traveling long distances, take the UMC and adapters with you for maximum flexibility. Think of it as a spare tire for the battery.

It depends on where you're traveling, but I have brought my UMC a couple time for this reason (other times it would still be much easier to find a J1772 public charger than an RV park).

About once every two months I find it useful to charge at 80 amps and I'm glad for the ability to do so.

And you never know when you might need to make an unexpected long trip with no supercharger en route.

For those reasons I keep my car charged at 90% all the time including as soon as when I get home I know it's not ideal theoretically for battery longevity but I'm lowering my risk for being caught at 0% or having to take an Uber.

But not knowing the marginal supply cost of the different chargers I can't criticize Tesla's decision but I would speculate that the supply cost difference is significant and this was probably a good trade-off that they made.
Well said. For most people new to battery only cars and considering a model 3 purchase they will need the level of insurance/comfort from at least having the option of speedier home charging (even if like most people say, they don't need it)to avoid the perceived logistics of getting a public top up charge periodically.

I'm sure it will inevitably be an option Tesla offers for an upsell :)

I thought we were past caring about this. 99%+ of people don't know or care about the difference. Inaccurately calling it a charger will continue indefinitely unless someone comes up with a catchy name for the EVSE that isn't "EVSE". That's just the reality of it. "Charging station" is the best I've got, but I doubt it will catch on.

Resurrecting this dead horse:

When I was researching buying our Tesla in 2014, I was confused by the terminology. I was corrected about the difference between the onboard "chargers" and the EVSE that we used to recharge the battery. English is a language that co-opts nouns into verbs and vice versa. So, according to others, engineers coined the term Electric Vehicle Service Equipment. Scientists back in the day decided to call the device that changes alternating current into direct current as a charger (what happened to the good old term, rectifier? Is there a real difference? I learned as a boy that vacuum tubes in televisions and radios were rectifiers, but I digress.)

So, we have a noun, charger,(*) which is used to convert AC to DC. We have a verb, charge, that is used to indicate that the storage capacity of a battery is being increased. So far, so good.

Then Tesla comes along and names its super-fast EVSE a "Supercharger," which is clearly a noun, which then morphs into a verb when we arrive at one and commence Supercharging our car. Never mind that a Supercharger site is comprised of individual chargers in the stack to do the AC-DC conversion. That only adds to the confusion.

So, at least for me, ambiguity reigns in this nomenclature. Tesla would have been better served by naming their Superchargers something slightly different. Marketing needed to talk to engineering to arrive at a catchy term that would be clear and concise.

(*) Then there is a homonym for charger: a large plate that sits beneath the smaller plate or bowl at formal dinner settings. When I first mentioned to my wife that we were getting two on board chargers in the Tesla, she too was confused, but not in the electrical sense. True story.

Resurrecting this dead horse:

When I was researching buying our Tesla in 2014, I was confused by the terminology. I was corrected about the difference between the onboard "chargers" and the EVSE that we used to recharge the battery. English is a language that co-opts nouns into verbs and vice versa. So, according to others, engineers coined the term Electric Vehicle Service Equipment. Scientists back in the day decided to call the device that changes alternating current into direct current as a charger (what happened to the good old term, rectifier? Is there a real difference? I learned as a boy that vacuum tubes in televisions and radios were rectifiers, but I digress.)

So, we have a noun, charger,(*) which is used to convert AC to DC. We have a verb, charge, that is used to indicate that the storage capacity of a battery is being increased. So far, so good.

Then Tesla comes along and names its super-fast EVSE a "Supercharger," which is clearly a noun, which then morphs into a verb when we arrive at one and commence Supercharging our car. Never mind that a Supercharger site is comprised of individual chargers in the stack to do the AC-DC conversion. That only adds to the confusion.

So, at least for me, ambiguity reigns in this nomenclature. Tesla would have been better served by naming their Superchargers something slightly different. Marketing needed to talk to engineering to arrive at a catchy term that would be clear and concise.

(*) Then there is a homonym for charger: a large plate that sits beneath the smaller plate or bowl at formal dinner settings. When I first mentioned to my wife that we were getting two on board chargers in the Tesla, she too was confused, but not in the electrical sense. True story.
don't get hung up on the little things.

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo
The difference between EVSE and charger is the same as the difference between theory and hypothesis. Most people who are not technically inclined use theory and charger regardless of the correct terminology for what they are referring to.

For the technically inclined, Superchargers and other DC-DC equipment, really are chargers because they bypass the on-board charger and directly charge the batteries.

When I was researching buying our Tesla in 2014, I was confused by the terminology. I was corrected about the difference between the onboard "chargers" and the EVSE that we used to recharge the battery.

This is why diagrams like Range issues - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum help.

Also, http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingspeeds.pdf and http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingprimer.pdf make the distinction between an on-board charger used for level 1 and 2 AC charging vs. off-board charger used for DC charging.