Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla HPWC On EBay from Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only settings are: Test Mode, 12, 16, 24, 32, 40, 64 and 80. There is no 50 amp setting.

Huh. I wonder if our friends up north have a Canadian spec HPWC. My "dip" settings are quite different here. I will know soon enough as I just couldn't pass on buying a Canadian HPWC on eBay just yesterday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 522
I wonder if theirs is specified for the constant throughput rather than momentary maximum (breaker rating in US). Though that would mean they only have analogues for 40, 50, 80, and 100A circuits and the rest of the settings are much lower than the US counterparts.

It seems they changed the specs. I have another one that I have yet to install at my cabin that I bought when I got my car about 8 months ago. It's the white box below and the manual is the same as those above. But the new black box manual is different as shown in the picture -- also it says "United States" so it's clearly not a Canadian HPWC -- I don't think there is such a thing since our electrical systems are the same.

20141115_091059_resized.jpg
20141115_091326_resized.jpg

It seems they changed the specs. I have another one that I have yet to install at my cabin that I bought when I got my car about 8 months ago. It's the white box below and the manual is the same as those above. But the new black box manual is different as shown in the picture -- also it says "United States" so it's clearly not a Canadian HPWC -- I don't think there is such a thing since our electrical systems are the same.

Wow!

They deleted the 90, 70, and 60 Amp breaker settings to add 30, 20, and 15 Amp breaker settings. That is too bad, because the 90 Amp setting on #4 wire and the 60 Amp setting on #6 wire were some nice sweet spots in wire cost vs charging current provided. Using an HPWC on the low current settings seems a waste, but at the new $750 price point it is quite a deal compared to other EVSE's, even the very low current ones. Maybe they can add another DIP switch or jumper in a board update to get all the choices back.

Wow!

They deleted the 90, 70, and 60 Amp breaker settings to add 30, 20, and 15 Amp breaker settings. That is too bad

If you have access to set the pins, what is the problem with just leaving it on 90amp, and having the car call for what it can find? As long as the breaker at your panel is appropriately sized for the wire (and length) used, I'm not sure the pins effectively need to exist? Am I missing something here? If I wanted amp limits, at the EVSE, I'd install another breaker or fuse for it.

This appears to be primarily a change in labels. The originals were labeled "breaker" the new ones "supplied". The dip switch settings for 100 amp breaker are the same as 80 amp supplied. 50 amp breakers settings are the same as 40 amp supplied. The way the others map old/new 40/32, 50/40, 60/12, 70/16, 80/64, 90/24, 100/80. The changed red combinations are confusing. I suspect that they wanted to allow people with low amperage circuits to use the wall charger, though I can't imagine why they would want to. A shame, I had planned to use the 60 amp setting with #6 wire. Now I have to decided if I will re-pull #3 wire.:mad:

Cott,

What does the electrical/electronics maven think about possibly experimenting with some of the other 8 unused dip settings to possibly "unlock" other amp settings?

Shall we use your MS in the experiment? :eek:

Seriously, if Tesla had those other settings available and had implemented them, I think that they would have published them. My guess is the the other switch is either ignored or will disable the HPWC.

If your Model S is set for delayed charging, I don't think your going to do any damage trying the other DIP switch settings, the Model S should display the pilot current as seen from the HPWC.. just remember to powercycle the HPWC between settings, as it only reads the DIP switches on power up.

I just bought one on eBay. I think the difference between the instructions in the white box vs black box is that the white box instructions refer to the circuit breaker rating, while the instructions in the black box refer to the derated current delivered to the car (ie, 80% if the circuit breaker rating). I have 2 gauge wire run to a 14-50 outlet at the present time, so any intermediate current settings that may be missing with the black box instructions doesn't botger me.

Received my HPWC off eBay about 3 weeks ago ($650+50shipping CAD). Didn't get to installing it until yesterday. I used #3AWG outdoor amour coated COPPER wire (3 Conductor + 1 Ground as they didn't have 2 conductor + ground in that size). The HPWC does not use the neutral so I left that unconnected. So 10m (33feet) of #3 AWG plus 2 end connectors and a 2 Pole 100A Square D breaker cost me ($350). If you can find 2C #3AWG COPPER, it would be easier to work with and be 25% cheaper. Bought supplies at Guillevin International Co. in Langley BC. Figured that is about half the cost as compared to Home Depot.

I received my eBay one earlier this week and it's working good so far. Since I only have a single charger, I simply purchased a 14-50 range plug and wired the HPWC to that. Basically I'm making it a permanent mount, direct UMC replacement that should be more durable and longer lasting.

However, I do have a question. Since I'm routing the charge cable up across the ceiling and the 14-50 outlet is to the right of where I want to mount the HPWC, does anybody see an issue with me mounting it upside down? It may look kind of odd, but at least both cables won't be crossing over each other. Being mounted inside, I'm not worried about any moisture getting in either, so I think it should be safe mounting this way.

However, I do have a question. Since I'm routing the charge cable up across the ceiling and the 14-50 outlet is to the right of where I want to mount the HPWC, does anybody see an issue with me mounting it upside down? It may look kind of odd, but at least both cables won't be crossing over each other. Being mounted inside, I'm not worried about any moisture getting in either, so I think it should be safe mounting this way.

I don't see why not. This is my setup:

20141121_175514_resized.jpg
20141121_175453_resized (1).jpg

I've gone ahead and mounted mine up upside down. Only running at 40 amps, heat hasn't been an issue at all. Here's a pic:

IMAG0896.jpg

Looks a bit odd up close, but otherwise does the job. I also kept the clamp that came with the 14-50 range plug and put it inside the HPWC, so that way if something catches the cord, it won't pull on the terminals inside. So far I'm really happy with this upgrade. Nice permanent install versus the UMC laying on the floor and the UMC can now stay in the trunk. The cord being so much thicker should also last a very long time versus the more fragile UMC. And only $100 more then a second UMC!

You can also see my JuiceBox behind the garage door track which is used for my wife's 500e. Lots of power in that little corner of the garage! LOL

I ordered one Tesla Wall Connector (HPWC) on ebay from seller allkindofgoods1 (Matthew Dupuis). I received a package today, but instead of finding the HPWC inside, I found 3 pieces of plastic with an engraving "Otter Box". I have sent the seller an email via ebay regarding this matter, and have contacted ebay to open a file on this matter. I am hoping that an innocent mistake happened and the seller will promptly ship the HPWC to me. However, I note that he has re-listed this item twice since I purchased the item. Until this matter is resolved, any one that wishes to purchase a HPWC from allkindofgoods1 should be careful. Ebay said I need to give the seller to December 4 to respond to them. I'll post an update once I find out what is happening.

Sweg, Thanks for the "heads up" on this EBay seller!

Hope your able to get this resolved.

They deleted the 90, 70, and 60 Amp breaker settings to add 30, 20, and 15 Amp breaker settings. That is too bad, because the 90 Amp setting on #4 wire and the 60 Amp setting on #6 wire were some nice sweet spots in wire cost vs charging current provided.

Yup, just recieved my "gray box" Canada HPWC today along with all those pesky little 15, 20, and 30A breaker settings without my fav 90A dip setting for 72A charging.