Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla HPWC On EBay from Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered one Tesla Wall Connector (HPWC) on ebay from seller allkindofgoods1 (Matthew Dupuis). I received a package today, but instead of finding the HPWC inside, I found 3 pieces of plastic with an engraving "Otter Box". I have sent the seller an email via ebay regarding this matter, and have contacted ebay to open a file on this matter. I am hoping that an innocent mistake happened and the seller will promptly ship the HPWC to me. However, I note that he has re-listed this item twice since I purchased the item. Until this matter is resolved, any one that wishes to purchase a HPWC from allkindofgoods1 should be careful. Ebay said I need to give the seller to December 4 to respond to them. I'll post an update once I find out what is happening.

Hopefully, it's an innocent mistake (but really there's no excuse for making such a mistake). I did a search for him and this must be what you got:

Otterbox Defender iPad Air | eBay

I've had exactly one bad ebay transaction in 12+ years. I bought a neon sign from someone who sold bunches of them, with a 100% positive rating. His standard boilerplate listing warned that pieces do occasionally break in shippiing, but that he had lots of spare parts and would replace any that broke promptly.

Sure enough, mine had a broken tube. He did not respond to emails and ignored the complaint I filed with ebay. All his listings expired and his account went dormant. It seemed like he fell off the earth (or died). I finally disputed the charge with my credit card (I paid via paypal with a card), he didn't answer that, either, so they credited my account. Eventually I found a local sign shop that fixed it for dirt cheap, so I got the sign for the cost of the repairs.

When I sell stuff on ebay, I box it up once it's clear it'll sell (ie, there are bids over the reserve). I suppose the seller (or a spouse/employee) grabbed the wrong box, since it looks like you got one of their other items for sale. Granted a HPWC weighs a lot more than an ipad case, but if someone else was grabbing a box to slap on a label, and didn't know what you had ordered, I could see it happening...

Canuck, the piture of the item you linked to matches what I got. I am hoping it was an innocent mistake, thou a HPWC weighs significantly more than what I received. That should have been a hint to the seller that something may be wrong.

Assuming it was an innocent mistake, that may mean whoever purchased the Otter Box may have received my HPWC. If that was the case, the question will be whether the person that got my HPWC returns it to the seller or sends it to me, or if that person throws it away (or sells it).

seller.jess deals in stolen goods. (s)he has a posting with a product stolen from me right now.

How did she steal a product from you? Did you report the theft to the police?

Everything worked out fine with my purchase.

And to answer your question: "No" the price does not seem a little low. I could have bought a new one with a one-year warranty for $750 from Tesla and pick it up at their shop here so there's no shipping. I only saved $160 off that price - which is a gamble if something was defective or goes wrong. Also, I assumed this vendor received a rebate which accounted for the sale price -- not that it was stolen -- which I am certain it was not.

Last edited:
Did you buy from seller.jess? (s)he is dealing in stolen goods.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, stolen directly from me, police have been notified. The price for the stolen item is not "super" low, but lower than it should be... Not saying (s)he was the thief, but definitely dealing stolen goods.

- - - Updated - - -

Not questioning you, but how did you determine for certain that it was not stolen, or purchased by the original buyer with a stolen CC? Curious... trying to solve my theft. Any help appreciated!

Not questioning you, but how did you determine for certain that it was not stolen, or purchased by the original buyer with a stolen CC? Curious... trying to solve my theft. Any help appreciated!

I never did those things because I assumed that it was a government rebate which accounted for the price and I am still certain of that.

What I can't figure out about your claim is: If you are certain it is yours, then why would you say "(s)he has a posting with a product stolen from me right now". If it was mine, I would buy it before someone else does, then alert ebay, and tell them why you are not completing the sale (because it is your stolen product) and it must be kept tied up, and copy that correspondence to the police.

Also, looking at her listings, I have narrowed it down to these items - is it one of these items? If so, which one?:

Underwater Video Camera DTG2 Remote Control Submarine ROV 164 ft Depth Rat | eBay

Brand New Fully Assembled Quadcopter Helicopter X650 Pro with Superx Basic | eBay

Where was it stolen from? Do you have the serial number? Please provide some more details.

- - - Updated - - -

Canuck, the piture of the item you linked to matches what I got. I am hoping it was an innocent mistake, thou a HPWC weighs significantly more than what I received. That should have been a hint to the seller that something may be wrong.

Assuming it was an innocent mistake, that may mean whoever purchased the Otter Box may have received my HPWC. If that was the case, the question will be whether the person that got my HPWC returns it to the seller or sends it to me, or if that person throws it away (or sells it).

If the otter box is still for sale, I don't see how he could have sent your HPWC to someone else (unless he had another listing of the same item). Does he not respond to you? I have only had two disputes on ebay after purchasing hundreds of items and both were resolved in my favour with all my money back. Hopefully, he replies with an apology and ships you the HPWC.

I've got the process under control; ebay does not accept any reporting of stolen goods from anyone other than a law enforcement official. Unfortunately it's up to them to catch the thief.
I know it's mine because only ONE of those configurations of the product was ever sold. We also track every one, and the serial number will match.

I've got the process under control; ebay does not accept any reporting of stolen goods from anyone other than a law enforcement official. Unfortunately it's up to them to catch the thief.
I know it's mine because only ONE of those configurations of the product was ever sold. We also track every one, and the serial number will match.

I never told you to report it to ebay. I told you to "alert ebay, and tell them why you are not completing the sale" after purchasing it. I find it very odd that you told us: "(s)he has a posting with a product stolen from me right now" and you continue to allow it to remain up for sale. That makes no sense to me.

Also,why won't you tell me the item and how it was stolen from you? I'd be putting everything on the internet if it was stolen from me. I assume you only came to this site after searching for "seller.jess". Then you allege I bought my HPWC for too low of a price, followed by your allegation that I must question people on their use of credit cards to purchase items before I can buy from them on ebay. I don't appreciate the innuendo that I buy stolen goods. I go out of my way to ensure that I do not.

Your story is starting to smell funny to me.

Last edited:
Not at all; yes I googled the seller name. Why would I tell you more details? Doing that doesn't help me solve it. I was looking for people to help me, that is all. So much for all Canadians being helpful. Sorry for bothering you.

Re-read my posts. I was trying to be helpful despite your attacking me as a person who buys stolen items.

Let's also leave "Canadians" out of this. I have American friends who are very helpful, and Canadian friends who are not, and vice-versa. It's about the person, not the Country they live in.

Good luck in getting your items back, if in fact it really was stolen from you.

Canuck, the seller has not responded to my latest email to him. When I purchased the item on Nov. 19, I sent him an email stating I paid with paypal, and to please let me know when he ships the item and provide me with the tracking number. He replied, stating "I receive your payment and will sh*t (sic, assume he meant ship) the item to the address that you gave ne (sic) thankyou (sic)". He never sent me the requested tracking info.

On Nov. 21, ebay indicated the item had been shipped but there was no tracking info. I thus sent the seller an email on Nov. 21 indicating ebay shows the item was shipped and would he please forward the tracking number and estimated delivery date to me. I have not received a reply to this email.

Late last nite (Nov. 27), ebay listed a tracking number. When I checked the tracking number on UPS's website, it indicated the item had been shipped on Nov. 24 (not Nov. 21 as noted by ebay) with delivery scheduled for today, Nov. 28. It also indicated the shipping weight as being 1 pound, which I thought was odd, but thought may have been a typo. When I got the package today I immediately knew there was a problem before I opened the package because the box was so light. Sure enough, the HPWC was not in there.

I immediately sent the seller an email (at 10:30 AM EST), called ebay/paypal, and then AMEX (I paid via paypal on my AMEX card). I'm not concerned about losing the money. Ebay assured me that if the seller doesn't respond to the inquiry they opened and send me the correct item they will refund the charge. AMEX said that if ebay/paypal does not refund the money, they will reverse the charge against the seller and that I will not be responsible for paying the disputed charge. So I am covered in that regard. But I would prefer to get the HPWC sent to me.

I have used ebay for many years, purchasing items that cost from a few dollars to thousands of dollars, and never had this problem before. As I previously indicated, I would like to think it was an innocent error that the seller will immediately correct. However, I am concerned because of the non-responsiveness of the seller to my last two emails, and incomplete reply to my first email.

Last edited:
I checked on ebay what the seller has sold in the last 15 days. He has not sold an Otter Box in the last 15 days, but does have one currently listed that ends shortly after 1AM EST. Ebay also shows that he has "sold" three (3) additional Tesla HPWCs (I'm assuming he actually had 4 HPWCs to sell as opposed to "selling" the same item 4 times) since I purchased "my" unit on Nov. 19. These units were "sold" on Nov. 21, Nov. 25 and Nov. 26.

As of 11PM EST Nov. 28, I have not received a reply to my email to the seller, nor has ebay received a reply to their inquiry. Does anyone know whether Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving and thus, could possibly be out of town for the holiday?

Thanks. So that can't be the reason the seller is not responding.

I don't know if this is still the case, but there used to be a way to request contact information, including a phone number, for an Ebay user you had a completed transaction with. You might want to give that s shot. It was just a menu option--not something you had to have customer service do.

Thanks. So that can't be the reason the seller is not responding.
Unless he's an American living in Canada. I have had an innocent mix-up before (most notably my jersey was sent to someone else and theirs was sent to me). Theirs was a birthday gift, so the seller got me in contact with them and we worked for expedited shipment. It happens. I hope for the best. This sounded too good to be true, but I find it interesting that we're now getting several fishy stories along with good stories.

Still have not heard from the seller. Nor has ebay heard from the seller. Ebay says they have frozen his paypal account so that he can not withdraw money from it until this matter is resolved, so you would think the seller would contact paypal. Andy, thanks for the suggestion.

Called ebay to ask for the sellers email address and phone number to try to contact him directly. They said they are not permitted to give me his email address, but they sent me his name, address and phone number. Here is where it gets interesting. The box that was sent to me with the OtterBox in it gives the sender info as Matthieu Dupuis at 470 Boul Dagenais E #271 in Canada. The contact info ebay sent me lists the same address, but indicates his name is Jeffrey Blain. Why the name difference? I called the phone number that ebay gave me, but there is no answer, and no answering machine. I will try again later.

In the meantime, I recommend that people be careful of any seller going by the name of Jeffrey Blain or Matthieu Dupuis, or the ebay user name of allkindofgoods1.