Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wagga Wagga, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the problems that is not discussed is the relatively safety of SC sites.

They really need to be highly visible including line of sight, in high traffic area. Locations that are in the back of a carpark and out of site are less safe -especially for female drivers

One of the problems that is not discussed is the relatively safety of SC sites.

They really need to be highly visible including line of sight, in high traffic area. Locations that are in the back of a carpark and out of site are less safe -especially for female drivers

I totally agree about this back of no where chargers at 2AM, but think the "especially female" bit is a little unwarranted.

NRMA chargers at both Cowra and Young get a lot of checkins. I used Young once last year - it tripped after about 10 minutes and I had to unplug, re-holster, then start again for it to work. Current Plugshare reports indicate that is still happening. I tried to use the one at Cowra once, just because I was driving by and wanted to get my check-in count up 😄 (I didn’t actually need to charge), but someone turned up about 2 minutes before I did. And that was lunchtime on a weekday!
Yeah, true - I'd be very happy with Cowra too. Just something between Bathurst/Orange (other than the NRMA charger in Young, which I have heard can be a pest sometimes). ABRP says it's possible without a charge (ending up with 5% when I get home) but the car wants to go through Gundagai.

Reactions: Quickst
6 chargers with 2 cabinets looks like V3 chargers so likely 250kW depending on the local grid I’d guess
Though the real metric of interest for the grid connection is the power of the cabinets not the max power to the cars. Each V3 cabinet can do 387kW at 480V (US voltage with PF 1) or for Australia 320-335 kW depending on power factor and three phase voltage 400V to 415V. (or in China at 380V around 305kW, presumably why they tend to 3 cars per cabinet instead of the 4 per cabinet in the US.)

A photo of the face plate of the cabinets here would show if they are just standard v3 cabinets, also used to date in all v4 site installs that I have seen note this detail they have just used the same v3 cabinet and just newer v4 pedestals, or if this 425kW does somehow relate to some new v4 style cabinet but I would doubt that given the v3 pedestals.

1693197774868.png

1693197815413.png

I think this is new. Would match the transformer required for a 2 cabinet v3 supercharger install.

Essential energy map update happened on,
1693197916042.png

Would mean that you would expect a kiosk style substation(or do pole transformers go to 750kVA?) and trenching work here,
1693198287710.png

• Informative
Reactions: cafz and moa999
What would be the utility of a SC at Wagga?
Wagga is an intermediate stop for people driving to/from Adelaide. However the next big town west of Wagga is Mildura but thats over 500km west.
No SC is planned for Hay

Wagga to Bathurst via Young is 315km
The road south leads to Albury with its SC
the road East leads to Gundagai with its SC

If Wagga is the destination, then a destination charger is the better way to go.

I agree though the more DC infrastructure there is the better, but for now, I dont see the utility
I was looking into the trip planner for Adelaide to Sydnet for a M3RWD.
Currently it recommends going Keith, Horsham, Euroa, Gundagai, Goulburn so a little bit of a diversion but gives a good opportunity to stop in and support local businesses in the country towns. If i was in a hurry or it was school/xmas holiday id just fly and hire a car haha.
Hopefully some more chargers come online along the main routes, Adelaide could do with some more too..