Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Owen Sound, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C8F18BAF-9E93-48A5-BF45-665104FB27C7.jpeg
I just dropped by after work today and took some pictures basically the same as yours (so won’t bother to post all of them). Lots of progress in the last week. Looks like they are ready to get the Supercharger stalls installed and all the conduits to the transformers look done. Can I assume the Supercharger stalls are in the tall upright boxes and the transformers in the other boxes?

Reactions: MarcoRP
I just dropped by after work today and took some pictures basically the same as yours (so won’t bother to post all of them). Lots of progress in the last week. Looks like they are ready to get the Supercharger stalls installed and all the conduits to the transformers look done. Can I assume the Supercharger stalls are in the tall upright boxes and the transformers in the other boxes?
The horizontal cardboard cartons that say "Do Not Stack Over Two High" contain two pedestals each. The upright wood crates contain the Supercharger cabinets that have the actual charger hardware inside.

Ah. So the transformers are not there yet. Do they typically install the cabinets first, then get the transformers?
I don't know if you're using the terminology correctly. This is the sequence of items in the chain from the utility to the car:
Utility Transformer (distribution voltage to customer voltage, ex: 12kV -> 480V)
Large Buck-Boost Transformer (Optional) (ex: reduce 600V Canada Standard Utility Transformer to 480V for Supercharger)
Distribution Cabinets with individual breakers for each Supercharger cabinet (ex: distribute 750kVA to 5 x 160kVA cabinets)
Small Individual Buck-Boost Transfomer (Optional) (sites like Tucson and Kettleman City have been doing this recently, reason unknown)
Supercharger Cabinet, two DC outputs
Stall A
Stall B

The short gray box between the 3 wood crates in the picture in the prior page looks like one of the large Buck-Boost Transformers, similar to one seen at Hope, BC.

[QUOTE="miimura, post: 2418622, member: 15817"
Large Buck-Boost Transformer (Optional) (ex: reduce 600V Canada Standard Utility Transformer to 480V for Supercharger)
[/QUOTE]

We really don't use the term "buck-boost transformer" in Canada, except in control circuits. Here it is generally called an "autotransformer". Just another of the small subtleties in language between the US and Canada :)

Just an update. Looks like the concrete pad for the transformers was poured early this week. Everything looks set now for the actual installations to begin.

Attachments

• 5B09479E-D211-49AA-AC52-2590499FFDAA.jpeg
    5B09479E-D211-49AA-AC52-2590499FFDAA.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 116
  • AE7B5DC2-C51D-47FD-944D-BB0D750D9586.jpeg
    AE7B5DC2-C51D-47FD-944D-BB0D750D9586.jpeg
    645.7 KB · Views: 129
  • DAFAB0CD-5911-4076-80C0-2FD41681BDA0.jpeg
    DAFAB0CD-5911-4076-80C0-2FD41681BDA0.jpeg
    556.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
My rating scheme for upvotes.

1. Text details. You get a like.
2. Adding value to the conversation, but no new facts, I'll drop a helpful +1 your way.
2. Pictures and logical consideration, an informative.
3. Port-o-potty and wild conjecture, love.

I am truly in awe of Tesla's pace on this supercharging rampage documented in these threads. Glad to see it and experience it.

• Love
Reactions: MarcoRP and rpm001
I think we are port-a-potty deficient here because of close proximity to nice and warm indoor toilet seats at the surrounding establishments
Also, just realized I may have made the transformer gaff again. Should I have said the concrete pad is ready for the distribution cabinets? At any rate, it looks like the heavy work of trenching and laying concrete is done and it is now time for the true electrical work to commence. Bring it on, baby!

My rating scheme for upvotes.

1. Text details. You get a like.
2. Adding value to the conversation, but no new facts, I'll drop a helpful +1 your way.
2. Pictures and logical consideration, an informative.
3. Port-o-potty and wild conjecture, love.

I am truly in awe of Tesla's pace on this supercharging rampage documented in these threads. Glad to see it and experience it.
At least your rating standards are much better than @Drone Flyer 's, who enjoys disliking my every comment and I would even bet you a buck, to prove it, that he wouldn't dislike this comment to try and prove me wrong.

Absolutely no activity at the Owen Sound Supercharger for the last week.
It will be great when these are ready. I have an HPWC near Orangeville, and I see a few visitors in the summer. I've had 3 coming/going to Owen Sound/Toronto this first cold snap - "we can do it in the summer "-. is the refrain. The SC will really help out that issue.

Some work was done this last week. I will be honest and say that I have no idea of the difference between the large whité and gray cabinets except to say some of the white ones have been installed and that the gray ones are newly dropped off to the site. Will just post pictures of the progress.

Attachments

• AEB86F35-8BDF-4C47-9BAC-850E0F8FE016.jpeg
    AEB86F35-8BDF-4C47-9BAC-850E0F8FE016.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 81
  • D98B6BA0-286F-4DE1-B33F-74251C9A5603.jpeg
    D98B6BA0-286F-4DE1-B33F-74251C9A5603.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric