Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newburgh, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 80589I was just at the site today. The stalls are up but not functioning yet. The manager at Cosimos restaurant where the supercharger a are in the parking lot said sometime next week. Took a few pics(notice two spots being ICED even before the juice is turned on)
Thanks for pics......I hope they put up really good signage, so I doesn't get iced. I will be at this supercharger a lot next winter.

The utility for the Newburgh Supercharger is Central Hudson, not NYSEG.

I was at the site yesterday. I was told by the restaurant manager that it would be open next week. Unfortunately, there were no workers at the site; they have all gone to New Hampshire for the week to get started on the SC in West Lebanon. Very frustrating to be so close and then have the work stop. All of the charging stations seem to be missing a critical piece--the latch or whatever it is that holds the charging wand in place where you put it back after charging. All the charge cords are just kind of dangling. I didn't have the nerve to just plug one in anyway to see if it worked.

Transformer and all electrical equipment appear to be installed. The transformer area is not yet fully enclosed, however.

Usually the transformer is not enclosed. The Tesla distribution centers (big gray Square D cabinets) and the chargers generally are enclosed but sometimes sites become operational before the enclosures are finished. (This is when Cottonwood usually drops by with his photo showing each component to make sure we are all talking about the same things.)

Usually the transformer is not enclosed. The Tesla distribution centers (big gray Square D cabinets) and the chargers generally are enclosed but sometimes sites become operational before the enclosures are finished. (This is when Cottonwood usually drops by with his photo showing each component to make sure we are all talking about the same things.)

Ok, you asked for it...a picture is often worth many more than a thousand words.

That transformer is a 500 kVA unit for the 4-Stall, 2-Supercharger-Cabinet setup in Blanding, UT.

Blanding Equipment-2.jpg

Last edited:
I was there tonight. There is a large transformer in place directly behind the Supercharger rectifiers (do these have some other name?) in the masonry enclosure between the bank of 2 chargers and the bank of 4 chargers. It looks like all the equipment's there but they just don't have it hooked up. The charging cords are still wire-tied to the stands. I visited because as of last Monday one of the staff at the Mt. Kisco dealer told me Newburgh was operational but not yet in the nav -- clearly he was mistaken, but if that transformer's actually powered, I expect they really could have it online within days.

Looks like a nice restaurant. It is actually about 1 mile from I-87, and the nav doesn't do a great job directing you back onto the highway -- even if southbound it repeatedly says to "take I87 towards Albany" trying to get you on the shared ramp to the tollbooths *shrug*.

I was there tonight. There is a large transformer in place directly behind the Supercharger rectifiers (do these have some other name?) in the masonry enclosure between the bank of 2 chargers and the bank of 4 chargers. It looks like all the equipment's there but they just don't have it hooked up. The charging cords are still wire-tied to the stands. I visited because as of last Monday one of the staff at the Mt. Kisco dealer told me Newburgh was operational but not yet in the nav -- clearly he was mistaken, but if that transformer's actually powered, I expect they really could have it online within days.

Looks like a nice restaurant. It is actually about 1 mile from I-87, and the nav doesn't do a great job directing you back onto the highway -- even if southbound it repeatedly says to "take I87 towards Albany" trying to get you on the shared ramp to the tollbooths *shrug*.

"Rectifiers" are simple electronic components not visible at any Supercharger Site that I have seen. See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifier> for a better description and pictures of rectifiers.

For the parts and names of a typical Supercharger Site, see Supercharger - Newburgh, NY - Page 5. The picture there shows a typical transformer, in most places in the U.S. except Arizona, they are a dark, forest-green color. These are sometimes confused with the dark grey Distribution Center, that in most are tall, dark grey cabinets, with "Square-D" labels.

Thanks for scouting the site, and when possible, would you please post pictures?

I see that what you're calling the "Supercharger Cabinet" is what I called the "rectifier". Thanks, I do know what a rectifier is, and I do realize there are also other things in the cabinet. I'll use the proper name from here on out.

It was pretty dark and a picture from my phone wouldn't have helped much. It's possible only the AC distribution cabinet is behind the supercharger cabinets, but I am pretty sure I saw something with large cooling fins back there. That masonry enclosure is considerably different from the enclosures for any of the other Superchargers in this neck of the woods so hard to really say what's where (the ones on I-95 are nifty, there's no enclosure at all: all the individual cabinets are sitting out to look at).

I guess the bottom line is that I think I saw a transformer back there but I could have been fooled by the AC distribution cabinets. Will try to revisit this weekend for a better look.

Utilities paint their transformers different colors! The one at West Hartford is grey IIRC, and I visited a Chademo station on utility property this weekend where the transformers were bright safety orange.

I was watching the crew when they were working on the Distribution Centers for the Buffalo Supercharger. Inside are heavy duty rails with clamps to which the heavy cables from the Supercharger inverters are attached. I imagine that once the utility transformer is delivered its' output would be connected as well. Still no transformer installed in Buffalo.