Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger growth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a Google Sheet listing all the Destination Chargers along with their details:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16imBngVgWuexEjDki30ugVBelIP4NTrpHrUHidWp6iQ/edit?usp=sharing

I have 306 in the list.

In my spreadsheet I list the following columns:

ID # - the number Tesla has assigned to the charger - you can find it using this url plus the id:
http://www.teslamotors.com/dc
My Flag - personal use column
Hotel or Business name
Town/City
State/Province
Address
Phone
Connector Details
Availability
Web site for Hotel or Business
Comments

I compiled this list from the Tesla Find Us link below. My list reflects the site as it was Jan 25, 2015:

[url]http://www.teslamotors.com/findus/list?types=partners&regions=northamerica[/URL]

The url for each destination charger is of the form http://www.teslamotors.com/dc????

where ???? is a 3 or 4 digit number. I have logged the numbers so see if having them provides any useful information. I have no idea if they have any signficance. The lowest number is 166 and the highest is 3924, but just 306 are listed. One theory is that they assign a number as requests come in, so maybe there will be a lot more to come.

Here is a document which contains more comments, including a list of chargers which could not be found on the Tesla Find Us map and a list of Chargers which are available to the public:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vafZCnTansJWaQF5JyZ-nHz9l6dwRvajgdj-rr3iXYM/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to share this with other Model S owners. If there is a better place to post it on TMC, feel free to repost there. My contact info is in the last doc.

The latest shareholder letter touts a 400% growth in the supercharger network in 2014, and mentions planned growth of 50% in 2015. I guess this means that some of the heavy activity we have seen in January is spillover from 2014 but the growth for the rest of the year will be a lot slower....although 50% of almost 400 is still a healthy number of new Superchargers!

380 / 400% = 95
380 - 95 = 285
380 * 50% = 190

In case anyone was too lazy to do the math themselves. I think 190 new locations by Feb 2015 is pretty conservative. But almost 200 more is still solid growth. I will have to go back up thread on the counting that was done with the release of the new maps in order to determine how many we were actually expecting based on the maps, but 200 might be about right. Wouldn't be surprised to see it actually end up more like 250 or so new chargers instead but I will take it!

According to the chart at Superchargers, the number of Supercharger stations at the end of 2014 was 334 and end of 2013 was 64. This puts the count to 500 by the end of 2015. 380 stations were not online until about a week ago.

So I think 500 is the number to watch for. That would be a gain of 167 this year. Of course, I'd be delighted to see more, especially in my neck of the woods.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, Tesla puts the count at 384 today. Woot.

Yeah I really feel they were being conservative about an estimate there since there is a lot of growing pains they have felt with these and how hard it can be to get some locations through the process. I wouldn't be surprised to see more than 600 by the end of the year.

I'm not sure, but I've been wondering if the language of the 50% growth was poorly written. Tesla hopes to nearly double car production, which would mean 60% more cars on the road in one year as there are now. It also means a lot of money set aside for all the Superchargers they're going to need.

I'm thinking maybe the 50% growth is in the rate of installs rather than in the network - meaning 500-ish new sites installed this year.

(Though they may get to the point where adding capacity to frequently used spots is more important than adding to the grid, and unfortunately everyone is counting locations instead of stalls.)
Walter

I'm not sure, but I've been wondering if the language of the 50% growth was poorly written. Tesla hopes to nearly double car production, which would mean 60% more cars on the road in one year as there are now. It also means a lot of money set aside for all the Superchargers they're going to need.

I'm thinking maybe the 50% growth is in the rate of installs rather than in the network - meaning 500-ish new sites installed this year.

(Though they may get to the point where adding capacity to frequently used spots is more important than adding to the grid, and unfortunately everyone is counting locations instead of stalls.)
Walter

Oh, that's an interesting thought. But 500 would be quite a bit more than 50%. But I see what you are saying and I think it is possible. I won't put too much weight into it since that is a big difference between the two numbers. Would rather be surprised on that one.

Oh, that's an interesting thought. But 500 would be quite a bit more than 50%. But I see what you are saying and I think it is possible. I won't put too much weight into it since that is a big difference between the two numbers. Would rather be surprised on that one.

I didn't do any math - I just took the 500 from the post above mine. But as long as you got the point. :)
Walter

I(Though they may get to the point where adding capacity to frequently used spots is more important than adding to the grid, and unfortunately everyone is counting locations instead of stalls.)

I suspect that there are many locations where adding stalls just isn't practical. Also there are a lot of locations that are needed for Tesla to be viable to the average person who lives or travels through that area.

As far as the money set aside, every Tesla is built to order, and each car has a certain amount set aside for a Supercharger, so money isn't an obstacle. If you sell more cars you have more money for Superchargers. The network will be complete when every Interstate and State Highway has adequate Supercharging facilities. This won't be achieved for many years.

Where does this frequent comment that $2000 per S85 sale is "set aside" for Surperchargers come from?

I've never seen an official source for a number, but Tesla has stated that they set aside a portion of the 60->85 upgrade cost for Superchargers. I think everyone is assuming it's similar to the $2000 they charge to let a 60 kWh car charge in the absence of other data.
Walter

The construction crew at Cabazon told me that they had installed Blanding and Moab. The foreman said that they prepared the infrastructure for six stalls even though there are only four available for use currently at each site. I would suspect that if the time comes to expand at those sites, that permitting and construction delays would be minimized as the wiring and transformer are already in place.

This strategy of over building the infrastructure at conception might be more common than we think, particularly at the more rural locations.

This strategy of over building the infrastructure at conception might be more common than we think, particularly at the more rural locations.
Six-stall Columbus TX has visible conduit in place for a fourth Supercharger cabinet, and emerging from the ground for future 7th & 8th charger 'stallards.' (hard to miss as everything's elevated but the parking)

I think the supercharger network is overbuilt in quite a few locations today. They could deal with a lot more cars than they see in any given time. If Tesla adds 60% cars in 2015, some sites might need to be expanded. But not all sites must be expanded by 60%. There is capacity left to close gaps and expand into void areas.

Tesla claims the superchargers are marketing. They can (and do) invest much more than $2k per car sold.

A quick BOTEC on this: Approximately 270 SC stations installed in 2014 and assuming $2000 per car used for the SCs (your numbers from above in this thread), with approx. 32,000 cars sold that would be $237,000 per SC. Sounds about right, what do you think? Shouldn't have to be that much more.