Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Exeter, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was approaching the Canberra maccas Superchargers a few months ago, enroute back to Sydney from Jindabyne.

All looking good about 15 minutes out, the car was showing I think 3 stalls free at Canberra.

Then about 5 mins out, it suddenly said all chargers offline!

I turned up at the chargers, and there was a Tesla tech in a liveried Ute, and sure enough all chargers were down.

He says "need to charge?". I say "yep!"

He then says, he's just finishing a software update for the chargers, and the chargers should be back online in 2 mins. And that's exactly what happened.

Approx 7 mins downtime.

Dont forget approx 3% below zero reserve

Join the 0% SoC Club. Only the 0% can truly claim zero range anxiety:)
Since getting the Sexy Buttons commander, it reports 2.6kWh of Buffer over the OBD reader. So that's only about 17km. Be keen to go below 0% SOC and see if that 2.6kWh number starts to drop.

Regarding Exerter. I have seen that reporting offlne when I was driving 3 weeks ago. But 10km out, it started working. So I pulled in and grabbed a 5 mins coffee, and a quick 20%. Sounds like they have a comms issue.

Reactions: Max Spaghetti
Just returned from Sydney-Canberra-Sydney. Site reported up all the time so no issues. Checked Telstra signal there and environs and it is good.

Just missed getting a photo of 6 white Model 3s charging today. Just got the door of the cafe open and one left.

Each of my two visits last few days there were 4-6 Teslas charging. So things are hotting up. It is nice pulling 237kW- at least at the start of a charge.

Headed to Thredbo last Friday. Pulled in for 10mins to get a pie and coffee. My RWD Y charged at 66kW from 80% right up to 90%. Is this normal ? I didn't think it used to charge that fast in this part of the charge curve.

Anyway I stopped at 90% and made it to Cooma with 15%. Then got 137kW at Cooma for another really quick top up, just to get me to the free chargers at Thredbo.

When this stop has available chargers. This stop is great. But the secret is out. There were lots of Teslas coming and going. So I think lots pull in just for a quick charge whilst grabbing a coffee.

Reactions: SPadival
Tesla Nav still prefers Goulburn during automatic routing. I had to explicitly put supercharger Exeter as a stop in order to force it to skip Goulburn. So we’re safe.
Yes. I plan my stops around where I want to stop. I add the chargers as additional stops, to ensure the pre-heat.

Because Exerter is 250kW and I only have the RWD, it matters little if I'm sharing chargers. That's another reason I use Exerter.

Reactions: Vostok
Don't forget that with DC rapid charging (including supercharging), the car that decides how much power it can take, and the charger will supply whatever it can (up to that limit). When the car and the DCFC/Supercharger work out that they trust each other, the car opens circuit breakers from the CCS plug directly into the battery pack, hoping that the DCFC will do what it's told.

If the car's battery is cold or otherwise not in a fit state for 100kW, then its BMS won't ask for 100kW, and the charger won't supply it.

That said, there have been a few rare cases where (non-Tesla) DCFC's bricked (non-Tesla) EVs, by inadvertently supplying far more power than the car asked for. But this is way OT for a discussion about Exeter.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Is that all? I've had a RWD at 80% charge faster than that (>100kW I think), but tail off after that.
Without getting too far off topic. The batteries have been tested by others, and it was about 50kW at 80%, and 38kW at 90%. Test done about a year ago on a Shanghai Model Y RWD in Thailand by Tesla Bjorn.

I was getting these same sort of speeds 6 months ago. But experiencing much faster now at Exerter. I say Exerter, because they are 250kW chargers and less likely to be load affected.

If you have a screen shot of your car charging at 100kW at 80%+ SOC. I'd love to see it. I'd definitely investigate my battery temperatures more when charging.

1713483793284.png
1713483837956.png

Reactions: Futuretech
If you have a screen shot of your car charging at 100kW at 80%+ SOC. I'd love to see it. I'd definitely investigate my battery temperatures more when charging.
I think there is a difference between plugging in at a lower %, and noting the charge rate as it reaches 80%, compared to plugging in at 80%. I've seen the higher charge rates when first plugging in at 80%. When I road trip I start at 100% and just charge every time I feel like stopping at a charger - sometimes this is at 80%.

I didn't have access to battery temp at the time, and no, I don't have a screen shot, so this is my anecdotal memory only. But I recall being surprised based on what I had read previously, hence why I remembered it.

I don't DCFC very often, but next time I road trip I will take more interest, especially now I can monitor battery temps. (I also don't recall whether I had pre-conditioned for supercharging or not).

Also, I now have access to the car's "Max Regen", which sits at 85kW when the battery is warm enough (typically 22-25C). But as I normally only charge to 70%, I haven't seen if that reduces with battery above 80%. That would also be interesting to note.

I don't DCFC very often, but next time I road trip I will take more interest, especially now I can monitor battery temps. (I also don't recall whether I had pre-conditioned for supercharging or not).
Forgive me, I've been out of my Tesla since December 2023 (pro-tip, don't let your Tesla get eaten by a hail storm!)... how are you seeing the battery temperature please?