Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If "usually" your destination is another supercharger or somewhere you plan to stay overnight, then yes.

That's what I meant, as that's how the vast majority of Tesla owners plan their trips. Supercharge mid trip, destination charge when [at least] a few hours are available. Those who have more adventurous situations are more advanced than a noob thread for supercharging etiquette...

...if you're on a trip that involves multiple superchargers the last leg is a good place to "top off with the good stuff" since every destination outside of supercharger country will be painful by comparison.

Sort of. From a wasting your time perspective (which is the point in contention), the math still ends up in favor of moving along over 'topping off'. Certainly it depends on your battery size and your downstream charger speed, but once your SOC gets into the mid-high 90's that slow charger down the road is going to charge faster than a superchager at the end of its taper. One time I got a supercharger down to 2kw. :scared:

In an effort to minimize further semantic dissection, I'll revise my previous statements in context of supercharging etiquette: If you supercharge past what you need, where 'need' encompasses your assessment of your down-trip charging situation, personal safety margins, etc., you should be at your vehicle and willing to give up your stall.

2. If you leave the car while it's charging leave a note with your cell number.
:)

It is too bad that the phone app doesn't let one unlock just the charge port if you get a call. I realize that at a Supercharger it probably wouldn't help because the other Tesla would probably not be close enough to use the charger. But it could be useful at a destination charger.

By George, I think you've got it!

6. Just because you have a Tesla does not mean you get to park at the SuperCharger. It is NOT a parking place. If you are not charging...MOVE IT!

This goes for L2 chargers as well. Friday night at Whole Foods in North Austin, gray 85, was there for over an hour, not charging, blocking a L2 spot... luckily on my 2nd try a leaf had left so I could get a charge.

Was very happy to see definitive signage at Centralia (almost all 10 slots empty) as well as at Burlington (all 8 full at one point): a no parking icon (circled P) plus "Electric vehicle charging only". Of course, WA has that $125 fine, so good on them twice. I did see a Tesla at Woodburn that seemed to be ICEing. Sad.

Fortunately, I have made "Don't be an ICEhole" stickers for just such occasions.

Kudos to Mac for placing a trash can and a windshield squeegee bucket *with soapy water*, and for maintaining both at Centralia. Very kind of him.

If a supercharger is in front of a hotel or inside a hotel car park, I wonder if some people would leave their Tesla plugged in overnight at the supercharger (not HPWC). I guess that would be the most inconsiderate behavior.

Glenwood Springs is situated adjacent to 2 Marriott properties. Management has taken the initiative to place tall orange stanchions at each space. Helps with ICEing to an extent but wouldn't with ICE(V)ing. Hmmm.

Hopefully if Tesla owners are prone to such behavior, they'll leave contact info on the dash.

I'd hate to see an EV owner towed for laziness.

The signage for Whole Foods EV spaces has been effective in Redondo Beach - big white letters beneath a green plug logo on the asphalt that spell out "ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING ONLY". Haven't seen them ICEd once and it's been months. Then again, I also haven't seen any EVs in those spaces either. Heh. But the rest of the parking cave gets full as does the parking lot above.

If a supercharger is in front of a hotel or inside a hotel car park, I wonder if some people would leave their Tesla plugged in overnight at the supercharger (not HPWC). I guess that would be the most inconsiderate behavior.

I've been to a few of those, and the procedure I use is to park in a regular spot overnight, and then move the car to the SC in the morning before showering. By the time I'm ready to leave the charging is complete. I have seen a few cars that just leave it parked overnight in the SC stall. I haven't seen anyone inconvenienced by this (seven stalls open), but it could happen.

I've been to a few of those, and the procedure I use is to park in a regular spot overnight, and then move the car to the SC in the morning before showering. By the time I'm ready to leave the charging is complete. I have seen a few cars that just leave it parked overnight in the SC stall. I haven't seen anyone inconvenienced by this (seven stalls open), but it could happen.

I leave my cell number on the dash. If anyone thinks they will be inconvenienced, they can call me and I will come move it.

This has never happened. I leave it parked in the SC stall. When I get up, I use the app to increase the charge to 95, so that when I leave, it's fresh and ready. Nearly always, I am the only EV parked in the SC (Country Cousins in The Dalles allows other cars to park, but has their numbers and says that if they won't move they will be towed).

I wish that Tesla would supply a couple of 14-50s nearby for overnight charging. That would solve a lot of concerns. I have had several hotels install 14-50s for my use when I come by. And, unlike "destination charging", any EV can use them.

At the Superchargers in Airport parking lots (Chattanooga, TN and Savannah, GA specifically) I've seen Teslas plugged into a Supercharger while the owner out of town for days and even weeks. (Repeated visits show the car is in the same stall and isn't actively charging, so it's pretty to safe to think they're out of town.)

At the Superchargers in Airport parking lots (Chattanooga, TN and Savannah, GA specifically) I've seen Teslas plugged into a Supercharger while the owner out of town for days and even weeks. (Repeated visits show the car is in the same stall and isn't actively charging, so it's pretty to safe to think they're out of town.)
It's true that there are specific persons doing this on a fairly regular basis here in Chattanooga at the airport, but much of the blame needs to go to Tesla for the signage. The signs at the chargers say: Tesla Electric Vehicle Parking Only. If Tesla calls them "Parking" places it's hard to convince owners these are "Charging" stalls.

At Jerry33: what a great way to Supercharge - only do it the day of your trip while you're showering and getting breakfast. I hope others do the same...

I've parked overnight at SCs at hotels, but I always leave contact information. Frequently I'm the only car parked there. If it's half full, I do similar to Jerry: I charge to 90% and then move my car. In the morning if I need the range I will charge the remaining 10% while I'm showering.

@Andrewket: That's actually more practical. How do you know the SC spots won't be taken in the morning? Charge to 90% of what you need, then top off while checking out. Me likee.

It's a matter of convenience and odds, with a safety net.

I have left my car overnight at a hotel Supercharger Site while spending the night at the hotel. In both cases, I wanted a near 100% charge the next morning, but did not want to get up, dress, go out and move the car before shower and coffee. I just changed the charge limit with the App when I woke up. (Call me lazy.)

In both cases, I was the only Tesla at the Supercharger at 10 or so at night, and I left my phone contact info on the dash of the car telling anyone to please call my cell at whatever hour if my car was blocking someone from charging. I never got a call and my Tesla was also the only one at the site the next morning in both cases.

As a converse, I have stayed at hotel/Supercharger pairs in busier locations. In those spots, I use the "don't leave your car at the Supercharger, get up before the shower, move the car to charge" method.

I think you have to be a reasonable judge of the situation; if you do leave your Tesla at the Supercharger, leave your cell number and be available so that you can move the car within minutes; and accept the risk of being woken up in the middle of the night.

With varying situations, I have used both methods. Whatever you do, be respectful of others' need to charge.

I have left my car overnight at a hotel Supercharger Site while spending the night at the hotel. In both cases, I wanted a near 100% charge the next morning, but did not want to get up, dress, go out and move the car before shower and coffee..
If you go out when it's dark, there's no need to dress up :)

Two Model S cars (and one i3 REx, which also locks the plug) were parked yesterday at the Dulles airport L1/L2 ChargePoints in the G2 daily garage with nothing (J1772 adapters nor UMCs for L1) connected to the cars. It is a regular occurrence there and it leaves a rather bad taste in other EV drivers. They must think that Model S owners are pricks.

Are we?

Just had my first negative supercharger experience. It was at the San Diego supercharger yesterday afternoon. Half of the units were under repair/construction to start. The other half were full. There was a Honda Accord blocking one, and the remaining units occupied by fellow Tesla owners who didn't seem to acknowledge others may need the chargers. I was trying to get enough charge to make it to LA. It seemed that the others there were all trying to range charge on a the supercharger based on the amount of time spent and my peaking at their status as they slept in their cars or left them with sunshades in the windshields.

There really needs to be a way for communication to owners that their cars are taking up much needed spaces. There could a be a button on the supercharger that could be pushed that sends a signal to the owner's app that someone is waiting for their spot. Or what if the app notified you in the event all spaces you are charging at are full to request that you check back with your car in case someone is waiting? Presumably based on GPS they could even know that someone is waiting next to the chargers.

This is only going to get worse in the next couple months as the X comes online. A hi-tech solution would be very welcome.

Just had my first negative supercharger experience. It was at the San Diego supercharger yesterday afternoon. Half of the units were under repair/construction to start. The other half were full. There was a Honda Accord blocking one, and the remaining units occupied by fellow Tesla owners who didn't seem to acknowledge others may need the chargers. I was trying to get enough charge to make it to LA. It seemed that the others there were all trying to range charge on a the supercharger based on the amount of time spent and my peaking at their status as they slept in their cars or left them with sunshades in the windshields.

There really needs to be a way for communication to owners that their cars are taking up much needed spaces. There could a be a button on the supercharger that could be pushed that sends a signal to the owner's app that someone is waiting for their spot. Or what if the app notified you in the event all spaces you are charging at are full to request that you check back with your car in case someone is waiting? Presumably based on GPS they could even know that someone is waiting next to the chargers.

This is only going to get worse in the next couple months as the X comes online. A hi-tech solution would be very welcome.

I agree. I do not always notice the notifications on my Iphone. (For some reason, the sound is not very loud. Unless my phone is visible near me, I am not aware that I am at 80% of my target.) I would think a brief text message from Tesla: "Your car has completed charging. Please be thoughtful to others and move your vehicle to a general parking spot so that others can use your spot. Thank you!" A similar message could be delivered in the cases when all but one available stall are in use. "Your Supercharger location is experiencing high volume at this moment. Please keep a close eye on your charge level!" Maybe this second notice would not be delivered until your charge level reached 80% of its target.

I think most of us would readily return to our vehicles and do the right thing. But I wonder if these sorts of messages would run afoul of various privacy laws.

I agree. I do not always notice the notifications on my Iphone. (For some reason, the sound is not very loud. Unless my phone is visible near me, I am not aware that I am at 80% of my target.) I would think a brief text message from Tesla: "Your car has completed charging. Please be thoughtful to others and move your vehicle to a general parking spot so that others can use your spot. Thank you!" A similar message could be delivered in the cases when all but one available stall are in use. "Your Supercharger location is experiencing high volume at this moment. Please keep a close eye on your charge level!" Maybe this second notice would not be delivered until your charge level reached 80% of its target.

I think most of us would readily return to our vehicles and do the right thing. But I wonder if these sorts of messages would run afoul of various privacy laws.

And of course current notifications are only available to those that use iPhones, which is at best roughly half of Tesla drivers. So the other half of Tesla drivers can't receive notifications at all. Assuming people really do want to be courteous, (and I assume they do), it would seem adding notifications to the android app would give a lot of bang for the buck with respect to easing Supercharger congestion.