Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They do this because of the parking restrictions at some SCs. If there are four tesla spots, and four general parking spots, the splits will be between them. For example, 1A is a tesla spot, and 1B is a general spot. This way all of the tesla spots have their own cabinets.

This makes sense if people use the tesla spots first and overflow to the general. Personally, I use a general spot first to save the tesla spots for others in case parking becomes tight.

Now that is being a good Tesla citizen.

Coming home from LA, had to stop at Harris Ranch to charge around 12:00am early Monday morning. Then I saw this...

I'm sure if it was morning or if there is a line to charge, this driver would park correctly. (i hope)

Is it ok to park like this early morning if there are no other Tesla's around? Thoughts?
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_2770.JPG

Coming home from LA, had to stop at Harris Ranch to charge around 12:00am early Monday morning. Then I saw this...

I'm sure if it was morning or if there is a line to charge, this driver would park correctly. (i hope)

Is it ok to park like this early morning if there are no other Tesla's around? Thoughts?
View attachment 176876 View attachment 176877
Was the driver sitting in the car? Not cool, but at midnight and if the driver was still in the car it's understandable.

That's just appalling. I'd expect that from an ICEr with an agenda, but from one of our own?

My true confession: (I was not the person in the photograph.)

One year ago, I was traveling west on Interstate 70 early on a Sunday afternoon. Despite what I thought was more than enough range in the battery (96%), the extreme crosswind made traveling the 143 miles to Goodland, Kansas dicey, even with 96% and driving most of the way at 48 MPH. I really, really had to utilize the bathroom. I arrived in Goodland with about 3% battery, so I pulled up perpendicular at the farthest stall. I plugged in, and dashed to the bathroom inside the motel.

When I returned shortly thereafter (less than 5 minutes), I unplugged, and backed into the stall to complete my charging session. No one else arrived at Goodland the entire 45 minutes or so that I was there.

While I was not proud of parking perpendicular, I think my actions were the least "improper" considering the circumstances.

But I agree that under normal situations, take the extra 30 seconds or so and park appropriately.

My true confession: (I was not the person in the photograph.)

One year ago, I was traveling west on Interstate 70 early on a Sunday afternoon. Despite what I thought was more than enough range in the battery (96%), the extreme crosswind made traveling the 143 miles to Goodland, Kansas dicey, even with 96% and driving most of the way at 48 MPH. I really, really had to utilize the bathroom. I arrived in Goodland with about 3% battery, so I pulled up perpendicular at the farthest stall. I plugged in, and dashed to the bathroom inside the motel.

When I returned shortly thereafter (less than 5 minutes), I unplugged, and backed into the stall to complete my charging session. No one else arrived at Goodland the entire 45 minutes or so that I was there.

While I was not proud of parking perpendicular, I think my actions were the least "improper" considering the circumstances.

But I agree that under normal situations, take the extra 30 seconds or so and park appropriately.

I think all but the most retentive would give you a pass on this one.

Beats a Tycho Brahe incident.

Reading through the various threads on charging I see occasional mentions of suggestion regarding superchargers.

As someone who has not yet taken delivery (the car is currently "in transit") I'm guessing there are more than a few things newbies like me need to know before their first trip to a supercharger lest we commit some sort of "Charger Faux pas".

Some of the things I've seen elsewhere are:

1. Don't take up more than one charging space, even if you're the only one there.

2. If you leave the car while it's charging leave a note with your cell number.

3. Best to leave busy superchargers to those passing through and do most charging at home.

4. Be prepared to courteously answer MANY questions from MANY curious ICE vehicle drivers.

5. Don't hog the charger by staying plugged in longer than necessary.

Any other suggestions, serious or not? :)
I agree w all. Thanks for sharing.

It is too bad that the phone app doesn't let one unlock just the charge port if you get a call. I realize that at a Supercharger it probably wouldn't help because the other Tesla would probably not be close enough to use the charger. But it could be useful at a destination charger.
I agree, it would be nice remort unlock the charge port. Tesla, longer cords if you can

Reactions: vtvox
I found this thread when I searched for threads about supercharging etiquette. Most of the posts are relevant today. Thanks for blazing the trail for those of us that drive Model 3’s. What sparked my search was etiquette about using parking spots in hotels overnight. I have stayed at a hotel in Evanston Wyoming several times this year driving to the midwest because of the pandemic. The SC is located in the parking lot & hasn’t been busy at night. I’ve wondered about charging the car & leaving it until I’m ready to leave in the very early AM as the hotel lot can fill up but there are seldom more than two cars at the SC. I’ve done what one poster did, I charged, moved & then returned to top off while I showered in the AM. But I’ve wondered if it would be ok just to unplug after the initial charge & then later plug in to finish charging. Based on what I have read here I’ll continue to move the M3. It’s really about how others see your actions, not your intent.

Reactions: bobby g
I don't know if it was this thread or another, but the SC at Santee, SC is across the street from a Holiday Inn. I've had to stop there a few times for an overnight stay+charge -- this was long before idle fees were a thing. For those few nights I stayed at the HI, I plugged in at night to charge to 90%, but left my cell phone number clearly in the windshield in a HUGE FONT. In the morning, I set the charge to 100% so after I got up and had breakfast, it was ready to hit the road.

If anyone arriving overnight needed to charge and all the stalls were full (really unlikely at this location between midnight and 8am while I was parked there), I was only a text message or phone call away, and only across the street. Now I know lots of people will challenge this, I feel like it was a good compromise between taking a spot and being closeby to move if/when needed.

Some people might be worried about leaving their cell phone number in public like that, but it doesn't really bother me, as I want to be accessible if needed.

Someone raised the unlikely scenario of a dozen Teslas in a caravan all arriving at 2am to charge, and my car is taking up a spot, but at the same time, everyones' cell phone is miraculously dead so nobody in the armada can call me to move my car. I'd like to see that actually happen.

<flame suit ON>

Reactions: juliusa
First come, first served. Basically get the charge you need and move... Set an alarm on your phone or get charged by Tesla. it isn't hard.

I'm not going to question anyone's need. PHEV, EV, we're all battery powered, we all get to charge.

Reactions: KJD