Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Amarillo, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made a quick stop today and ran into the Holiday Inn building operations supervisor. He wanted to see the Tesla, and I gave him the full treatment short of actually doing a test drive.

He tells me the transformer is already in place, but it is behind the wood building next door under construction. I had thought that there was a transformer located immediately adjacent to the equipment pad, (such as the smaller pad that has 3 conduits sticking out) but perhaps I'm wrong on that.

His impression was that completion as targeting toward the end of the month.

We discussed signage to keep ICE vehicles out, he says that he hopes Tesla provides appropriate signage.

IMG_1685.JPG
IMG_1686.JPG

He tells me the transformer is already in place, but it is behind the wood building next door under construction. I had thought that there was a transformer located immediately adjacent to the equipment pad, (such as the smaller pad that has 3 conduits sticking out) but perhaps I'm wrong on that.

The Holiday Inn building operations supervisor is clearly wrong. That is the transformer pad next to the Equipment Enclosure pad.

Stopped by again shortly after sunset. Making good progress, but I'm disappointed that the transformer pad is still empty, and there is no transformer there.

It looks like they are almost done, except for final electrical hookup, striping the 8 spots, and posting signs. And of course, providing electricity to the equipment.

Of interest, all 8 are back in. On the permit issued by the city of Amarillo, one is designated handicapped.
IMG_1698.JPG
IMG_1699.JPG

Checked back this evening. They have made a lot of progress in 24 hours.

The charger looks essentially complete. The paving is done, the lanes were striped today , and the equipment pad looks complete and the fence around it is finished.

Only one thing is missing ...... a transformer from Xcel Energy, our local electric utility. The transformer pad is completely empty with conduits sticking out of concrete.

It would appear that as soon as the transformer is installed, the Amarillo SC should be ready to be activated and go online.

Stopped by again shortly after sunset. Making good progress, but I'm disappointed that the transformer pad is still empty, and there is no transformer there.

It looks like they are almost done, except for final electrical hookup, striping the 8 spots, and posting signs. And of course, providing electricity to the equipment.

Of interest, all 8 are back in. On the permit issued by the city of Amarillo, one is designated handicapped.

But..... these are not parking spaces - they are charging spaces. No handicapped spaces at gas pumps, oil changing stations, tire dealer stalls...

Are they located up-front by the stores, or in a far corner of the lot?

They're right up front -- in most cases, the existing handicapped space got one of the chargers.

Does this mean they can only be used by a car with a disabled parking permit? If so how would the unit ever pay for itself? The number of EVs with handicap plates is probably in the single digits for the entire state.
Correct.

As Purplewalt mentioned earlier, the signage precludes a car without handicap plates / permit from stopping / standing / parking in that spot.

Checked back this evening. They have made a lot of progress in 24 hours.

The charger looks essentially complete. The paving is done, the lanes were striped today , and the equipment pad looks complete and the fence around it is finished.

Only one thing is missing ...... a transformer from Xcel Energy, our local electric utility. The transformer pad is completely empty with conduits sticking out of concrete.

It would appear that as soon as the transformer is installed, the Amarillo SC should be ready to be activated and go online.
It took a month to get a transformer and connection at the Buffalo( Clarence NY ) SpC. Hopefully Xcel is more on the ball than NYSEG

Made a stop by the site to see if a transformer had arrived. Still nothing.

The crew was doing some finish items like putting up the Tesla signs.

They don't have the handicapped sign up yet, but they confirm one will be handicapped only, the one next to the equipment pad.

The signs are a mix of 'Tesla Charging Only' alternating with 'Tesla 30 minute general parking'.

The crew is from New Orleans, and their last job was Tallahassee. They don't have a new job assigned yet.

Made another visit this evening on way home.

The construction looks complete. The workers have cleaned it all up, installed all signage, and hauled off all their equipment.

The only piece missing is a transformer from Xcel Energy.

It's really disappointing to see a completed supercharger sitting here, just needing a power connection.

The site is marked off with orange cones and looks ready to use otherwise.

This seems to be a theme, we waited for a transformer and connection in Buffalo, NY for a month, the Plantation ,FL has been waiting most of October. One would think utilitities could plan on getting transformers in place given the lead time on these projects.