Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total eclipse charging in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's another thread where a few people are talking about charging when travelling to see the Total Eclipse Tesla supercharging during solar eclipse? but I wanted to get info specifically for west Texas from those who know the situation there.

My main concern is that travelling from New Mexico to the area west of Austin/San Antonio there is a dearth of SCs and some have on a few stalls. Lubbock has 3?! Really?
I see Post, TX just came online, but it's a little out of my best route but might be an emergency stop for me if I can stretch the drive from Clovis NM.

Does anyone know of other sites being deployed for the eclipse or extra "trailer charging" facilities going in somewhere anytime between April 5th-8th? Tesla has done this even on holiday weekends in places known to be congested. I'm flying to ABQ and renting a MYLR.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: byeLT4
I will be making the same crossing (starting in San Diego). I will stay in Van Horn and there is a Supercharger there. Also one in Ft. Stockton and another in Ozone

I have an MSLR so the 200 mile gaps are no issue, but there are splits if you need it.

If you don’t already use it, go to abetterrouteplanner.com and you can check. Out all the scenarios

Reactions: byeLT4
We are in San Antonio but have a place in the hill country that is very close to the path of totality. It’s a tiny town of about 2500 - the issue is going to be all these small towns that are going to be absolutely jammed with people and no chargers. We have been warned to expect massive delays on all highways and byways from 4/6-4/9. If we go, I am leaving my Tesla at home and driving an ICE car because I think it’s gonna be brutal. I really can’t believe how many people will travel and spend the money for maybe 5 minutes of darkness.

It won't go well after the Eclipse. Expect long waits at all the Superchargers within and outside the Hill Country. That's why I'm not relying on any Superchargers but instead just plugging into my buddy's 120V outlet at his place overnight in Horseshoe Bay. Better if you can utilize 240V charging. Additionally traffic will be horrible in general so I won't be leaving HSB until around 6 hours after the eclipse.

Reactions: swaltner
Here are some pics from Fort Stockton on Sunday. I was seventh in line when I arrived and waited about an hour. The line grew quickly from there, with 15+ people waiting by the time I left.

The new Ozona charger wasn’t on the nav or app, so it had several stalls available while the old 6-stall V2 location had a line.

IMG_9495.jpeg
IMG_9496.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: AudreyHTX1
On Tuesday, heading west, things were a little better than Sunday. We charged in the new charger at Ozona (along with a CT), but even when the nav said we could reach Van Horn with 17% it quickly gave up (headwinds?) and we had to stop at Ft Stockton for a top up. Waited 30 minutes and when we left, one stand had gone bad and there were a dozen cars waiting. I saw a picture on X taken after we left, with 18 cars in line :(

Today was better in NM, with no wait at Las Cruces and barely full at Wilcox.

Should be ok going back to San Diego. A little fraught, but worth the experience

Should be ok going back to San Diego. A little fraught, but worth the experience
Good to hear that. I hope the view wasn’t too cloudy for you. Having started this thread, to see what it might be like in Texas, I panicked when seeing the forecast get bad for most of Texas, so we flew to Boston, rented an ICE, and stayed in NH with relations and drove to northern Vermont on the day. Having cashed in airline tickets to ABQ and 2 nights hotel fees paid for the last-minute airfare to BOS and not driving to/from ABQ saved 16 hours of driving time. Conditions in VT were near perfect. I would never have thought it would be that way in April.

Anyone going to Spain in August 2026? I am.