Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla supercharging during solar eclipse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also there are signs of cloudy days in Texas as of Monday 4/1. But I don't know how cloudy weather is predicted because it said data becomes more accurate when it gets closer to the day. Haven't planned anything yet. Last time it was cloudy in 2017 Oregon but got lucky and the sky cleared during totality.

Will it be risky to have a Tesla that needs to supercharge during eclipse day vs a gas car if relocation is necessary to avoid clouds?
I wouldn't be too shocked if some gas stations are low on gas too. Also depends on how many miles you expect to drive on eclipse day, if you're able to get a charge overnight (I'm planning to charge at an RV park, for example)

The likelihood of clouds is increasing in Niagara Falls too. We may wind up going mobile that day to chase clear skies. Right now, northern NY state looks a better bet. However, weather changes quickly in WNY. Hopefully, we get back to a mostly sunny forecast.

A couple of points: every supercharger I’ve used in Texas has charged either .31 or .34, so pretty reasonable. Also, gas is roughly $3.30 a gallon for super, so not bad either. We are in San Antonio and have a place in the Hill Country that is in the path of totality - about an hour and half from here - and I’m not risking driving my Tesla there, not because of range, but because I think traffic is going to be awful and I’m afraid of getting stuck somewhere for hours and then needing a charge and not being able to get one. The best spots around here are the smallest towns with the worst infrastructure and facilities - gonna be very interesting.

Also I want to find every Dave and Busters that could have supercharging nearby or L2 charging. Will most likely stop in Phoenix, El Paso, then Dallas. Because I can buy food with tickets which at my rate I can win a $15 entree for around $3. Which then can offset the cost of surcharge if I have to pay 48 cents per Kwh. Then play a few arcade games or win tickets while I wait to charge. I am also trying to find any remaining Google Nest they were discounted to 16k tickets when they used to be 65k tickets so it's a gamble worth taking if I'm already on the way. 16k tickets is like paying $50 for most prizes at D&B and Google Nests are worth $250 full retail but they constantly go on sale so it's value is up in the air.
Google nest is not worth Anywhere near 250$. More like 99$. Some day you will realize this “get rich ticket” game is just a huge waist of time and they are the only winner. Do something productive, this is not it.

Google nest is not worth Anywhere near 250$. More like 99$. Some day you will realize this “get rich ticket” game is just a huge waist of time and they are the only winner. Do something productive, this is not it.
The Google Nest is discounted from 65k tickets to 16k tickets so it's like 75% off, or valued at $50 in D&B normal ticket value.

Yes D&B will be the winners in the long run. Which is why they let me win off them and they will have enough casual customers to make their money back.