Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Amarillo, TX - 9900 I-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

reddy

Jan 26, 2013
Amarillo, TX
We’ve discussed the new Buccees 1 exit to the east. It was delayed but now appears back on track.

“Buc-ee’s received approval from the Amarillo Planning and Zoning Commission during Monday’s meeting to rezone an additional 3.38 acres of land adjacent to Interstate 40 and Juett Attebury Road for a future site for Bucee’s in Amarillo.

The additional acreage acquired will bring the total acreage of the new site to 27.73 acres, with the additional property necessary to provide an easement to serve as a truck exit for SpeedCo Inc., a subsidiary of Loves Travel Stops and Country Stores, to the interstate, which had previously rejected earlier proposals that would have to build over the access road to their business.

Originally approved by the city council for the new site, this project was to begin construction in March of this year, but a dispute among property owners in the area had delayed the land purchase and construction. With these disputes settled by Buc-ee’s, the new zoning, which is an exception to the future land use map of the city, was approved due to the commercial development of this area close to the airport.

The commission stated that this approved rezoning was consistent with other developments in the area and would not have any detrimental impacts on the area. Other projects already in the area include the Texas Visitors Center, which is across the road and a truck wash.

Now approved by the commission, the rezoning will move forward to the Amarillo City Council for final approval. Once approval from the city has been given, Buc-ee’s will likely give a construction start date. The new site is expected to be around 53,000 square feet with about 120 gas pumps and about 150 employees, with a cost of about $30 million to build.

We’ve discussed the new Buccees 1 exit to the east. It was delayed but now appears back on track.

“Buc-ee’s received approval from the Amarillo Planning and Zoning Commission during Monday’s meeting to rezone an additional 3.38 acres of land adjacent to Interstate 40 and Juett Attebury Road for a future site for Bucee’s in Amarillo.

The additional acreage acquired will bring the total acreage of the new site to 27.73 acres, with the additional property necessary to provide an easement to serve as a truck exit for SpeedCo Inc., a subsidiary of Loves Travel Stops and Country Stores, to the interstate, which had previously rejected earlier proposals that would have to build over the access road to their business.

Originally approved by the city council for the new site, this project was to begin construction in March of this year, but a dispute among property owners in the area had delayed the land purchase and construction. With these disputes settled by Buc-ee’s, the new zoning, which is an exception to the future land use map of the city, was approved due to the commercial development of this area close to the airport.

The commission stated that this approved rezoning was consistent with other developments in the area and would not have any detrimental impacts on the area. Other projects already in the area include the Texas Visitors Center, which is across the road and a truck wash.

Now approved by the commission, the rezoning will move forward to the Amarillo City Council for final approval. Once approval from the city has been given, Buc-ee’s will likely give a construction start date. The new site is expected to be around 53,000 square feet with about 120 gas pumps and about 150 employees, with a cost of about $30 million to build.
Saw on the news last night that the city council APPROVED the additional acerage. WOO HOO!

24 EV STALLS adding to Amarillo !!

Not clear if these will be Tesla, or something else. I've not heard of ANY installations over 12 that were not Tesla though.

This will give Amarillo
Tesla Supercharger West - 8 stalls
Electrify America I40/Soncy - 4 stalls
Tesla Supercharger East - 12 stalls
Buc-ees - 24 stalls

For a total of 48 fast charging spots. That puts Lubbock (currently at 4 stalls) to shame.

The Buc-ee’s Amarillo will be located at 9900 East Interstate 40, about two blocks from a sign that says next Buc-ee’s 1,039 miles, and will be a 74,000-square-feet facility with 108 fuel pumps as well as 24 EV charging stations. Currently, land is being prepared for the newest Buc-ee’s location, with an official sign stating it is coming soon. Click the More Info for a link to the news article.

More info

So they just had the ground breaking yesterday, Oct 10. These stores usually take at least a year to build and open. Looks like they had already started preparing the site in August 2023, so perhaps the clock started then.

Lubbock will have many more Tesla chargers coming on line as the Toot-Totum buildout completes well ahead of the Amarillo Buc-ee’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasDuke
So they just had the ground breaking yesterday, Oct 10. These stores usually take at least a year to build and open. Looks like they had already started preparing the site in August 2023, so perhaps the clock started then.

Lubbock will have many more Tesla chargers coming on line as the Toot-Totum buildout completes well ahead of the Amarillo Buc-ee’s.
Buccees.jpg

I took this shot of the Bucc-ee's site 13 days ago. You can see a lot of the dirt work was already done.

As far as Lubbock catching up, Lubbock will have 12 EV fast chargers compared to 48 for Amarillo. The available spots on Plugshare have been 2x - 4x more spots in Amarillo than in Lubbock since Plugshare was started. Lubbock just doesn't seem to be an EV place to be. I'm surprised Tesla chose Lubbock over Amarillo for the service center.

24 EV STALLS adding to Amarillo !!

Not clear if these will be Tesla, or something else. I've not heard of ANY installations over 12 that were not Tesla though.

This will give Amarillo
Tesla Supercharger West - 8 stalls
Electrify America I40/Soncy - 4 stalls
Tesla Supercharger East - 12 stalls
Buc-ees - 24 stalls

For a total of 48 fast charging spots. That puts Lubbock (currently at 4 stalls) to shame.

The Buc-ee’s Amarillo will be located at 9900 East Interstate 40, about two blocks from a sign that says next Buc-ee’s 1,039 miles, and will be a 74,000-square-feet facility with 108 fuel pumps as well as 24 EV charging stations. Currently, land is being prepared for the newest Buc-ee’s location, with an official sign stating it is coming soon. Click the More Info for a link to the news article.

More info
I'm sure Amarillo will have 60+ SC stalls before Roswell/NM or Carlsbad/NM ever will see any.... god forbid Tesla closes that gap between Lubbock and Ruidoso/ NM

A charging station with a roof over it? Wow! That's almost as classy as a gas pump. If they had the option of buying additives for your electrons and an inane "news and entertainment" video playing on a loop, the masses would have no qualms about switching to EVs. ;)
Clean bathrooms, a Denny‘s, a small travel store. Flying J could have a good recipe for a highway stop, just like Buc-eyes.

Let’s hope these Ultium stations are more reliable than Electrify America. If so , I’d almost choose to eat inside at a Dennys vs fighting the mobs inside a Buc-ees.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Amarillo ultimately gets more because I-40 is a massive cross-country corridor.
that may well be... but the current 12 stalls at the Toot n Tatum are
Clean bathrooms, a Denny‘s, a small travel store. Flying J could have a good recipe for a highway stop, just like Buc-eyes.

Let’s hope these Ultium stations are more reliable than Electrify America. If so , I’d almost choose to eat inside at a Dennys vs fighting the mobs inside a Buc-ees.
Agreed. The Buc-ees down in Madisonville on the way to Houston is *insanely packed* and you have to wait in line to use the restroom...

Amarillo - 9900 E Interstate 40, TX

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Buc-ee’s
Along Primary Interstates: I-40
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-287
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-40

To: Shamrock, TX (v2) - 86.5 miles
Diversion: 0.3 miles
To: Weatherford, OK (v2) - 184.8 miles

US-287

To: Amarillo - E Interstate 40, TX - 1.4 miles
Diversion: 0.5 miles
To: Lamar, CO - 222.4 miles

Close to an existing V3 Supercharger, so adding density and capacity.

The Ultium-labeled stations are EVGo. It's part of the GM, EVGo and Pilot/Flying deal. EVGo is GM's preferred charging company.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS and cmy4x4