Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South Texas road trip - 8 Superchargers Visited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kind of embarrassed as a longtime TX resident that we’ve never made it to Guadeloupe Mountains National Park, but I guess it’s because we either end up in the Davis Mountains area or are heading into New Mexico.

Guadalupe is awesome, but as an East Coast boy, I could really feel the altitude near the top. (Just don't take the "shortcut" via Pecos and Orla; it's a working oil field with a lot of truck traffic.)

Thanks for tip about the Davis Mountains.

Davis Mountains area is awesome. There is a triangle of interesting towns: Alpine, Marfa and Fort Davis. Driving between them is quite scenic. Davis Mountains State Park is very cool and includes Indian Lodge for non-campers. McDonald Observatory is farther up in the Davis Mountains and has a nice visitor center and great nighttime guided star viewing during the summer. If you time things right The Nature Conservancy Davis Mountains Preserve is open on some summer weekends and you might even have access to Mount Livermore, the highest peak. Balmorhea State Park below the mountains is great too for its huge spring fed pool.

Last edited:
Just wanted to update yall on my trip to Big Bend.
I'm in Marathon now at The Gage Hotel (nice hotel). They have a Tesla wall charger so I was able to fully charge here last night and we spent the day driving all around Big Bend park... made it down to the river just past Castolon. Highly recommend the "Fossil Discovery" exhibit on 385 North of the visitor center.
Plenty of charge to make it back to Marathon and I'm charging for tomorrow's trip to San Antonio.
Great visit to a great park!

Here's a playlist of my cross-country trip this past Spring. Texas start in the evening of Day 2, all of Day 3, all of Day 4 (but that's half hiking up Guadalupe Peak, and the first part of Day 5.

Warning: No one would ever mistake me for a real filmmaker, but my wife says the sunsets at the end are nice.

Nice videos, how was your return trip on I-40? Any recommendations? I've made several round trips on I-10 and I-80, but never I-40.

Nice videos, how was your return trip on I-40? Any recommendations? I've made several round trips on I-10 and I-80, but never I-40.
I-40 is a lot more varied scenery than I-10. It's definitely worth driving, especially in mountain areas (Arizona, Arkansas, eastern Tennessee/western North Carolina). New Mexico has some beautiful desert stretches.

I've got GoPro footage, but I've just been burned out on video editing. Your comment may inspire me to get some more videos up.

(Speaking of interstates, my son and I went out I-70 went out I-70 a month before I got my Tesla. The progression through Kansas to the front range of the Rockies in Colorado is also a cool drive worth doing.)

Reactions: charlesoris

I-40 more or less follows, or is even built on top of, Historic Route 66 between Oklahoma City and Barstow. If you have the time, there is a lot of cool Historic Route 66 stuff (e.g., diners, motels, museums, tourist traps, etc) to see and do along it.

I-40 more or less follows, or is even built on top of, Historic Route 66 between Oklahoma City and Barstow. If you have the time, there is a lot of cool Historic Route 66 stuff (e.g., diners, motels, museums, tourist traps, etc) to see and do along it.
I am planning an extended trip from LA to Barstow, CA, Nashville, Memphis TN, Washington DC, Philadelphia PA, New York City, and Niagara Falls, ON. The return trip would consist of Cleveland OH, Chicago IL, St. Louis MO, Denver CO, Las Vegas NV, and LA.
I don't have any issues with planning and driving, but my photo and video skills are horrible - but I am trying to learn by trial and error as a retirement hobby,
Thank you all for the valuable videos and input.

Reactions: vanjwilson
I am planning an extended trip from LA to Barstow, CA, Nashville, Memphis TN, Washington DC, Philadelphia PA, New York City, and Niagara Falls, ON. The return trip would consist of Cleveland OH, Chicago IL, St. Louis MO, Denver CO, Las Vegas NV, and LA.
I don't have any issues with planning and driving, but my photo and video skills are horrible - but I am trying to learn by trial and error as a retirement hobby,
Thank you all for the valuable videos and input.
I'd encourage you to jump right in to the video process. The iPhone is a pretty advanced tool and will do most of the work, plus the iMovie app is easy to use for basic editing. The beauty is in the imperfections. Here's a sample of one of my Tesla videos.

Reactions: charlesoris