Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Why ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get this. How far in advance would you have to send it when you when travel by plane when it is several times faster than car travel? What would you do in the meantime without a car?

i like the idea, just don't get the physics of it.

This is really going to be taken care of by not owning a car, but instead paying into some pool. Where some company will have the same type of cars across the country. When you fly somewhere you'll summon the exact same type of car.

Here's my situation:

My driveway is steep. My car will bottom out if there are several people in it. I have to tell everyone to get out of the car before I pull into the garage. If we're leaving the house, they can't get into the car until I back it out.

With summon, I can enter and exit the garage without any weight in the car to safely avoid hitting the bottom.

That's all in theory, of course. I haven't been bold enough to try it yet.

My wife would have loved this when pregnant.

On many occasions she would park at a store or at work only to come back later to find someone parked really close on the driver's side. When you're 9 months pregnant, squeezing in is impossible. Likewise, going in the passenger's side and climbing over the center console to the driver's seat is out. But if instead she came back to this situation and could just press a button on her key fob to get the car to back out of the space, that would have been amazing. Instead, in many cases, she had to wait until the other car left. A real problem when you've got groceries, or need to get home from work to pick up the other kid from daycare.

For me it allowed me to get a few inches closer to a pillar in my garage which I needed.

In playing/calibrating Summon last night for the first time, I was impressed with the accuracy of the allowed distance from objects in front of the car (workbench). When I adjusted it forward by 8 inches to allow more room between the car and the garage door, the car position changed by 8 inches. I was constantly moving it in and out of the garage to get to the right place.

Here's my situation:

My driveway is steep. My car will bottom out if there are several people in it. I have to tell everyone to get out of the car before I pull into the garage. If we're leaving the house, they can't get into the car until I back it out.

With summon, I can enter and exit the garage without any weight in the car to safely avoid hitting the bottom.

That's all in theory, of course. I haven't been bold enough to try it yet.
It probably won't work with or without additional weight since summon does not work on incline, sorry.

In playing/calibrating Summon last night for the first time, I was impressed with the accuracy of the allowed distance from objects in front of the car (workbench). When I adjusted it forward by 8 inches to allow more room between the car and the garage door, the car position changed by 8 inches. I was constantly moving it in and out of the garage to get to the right place.

I know the sensors are amazingly precise. The "allow narrow spaces" doesn't affect the front and back calibration just left/right.

I parked on my UMC cable yesterday when I pulled into the garage. Didn't realize until I got out of the car. I used summon to move the car back a foot to get the cable out, then moved it forward again. :)

I also use it in busy parking lots when people with larger vehicles park around me. It allows me to stand in the lane and see if cars are coming while the car backs out. I always feel blind even with the rearview camera. I drive in NY/NJ a lot. People don't stop for cars backing out of spots. It's like they try to get you to hit them...

I could see using it to get it out of the garage for more space getting in and out, and then I could start using my front door to enter and leave the house almost like a normal person (joking about the normal part). However, I wouldn't do this on cold or rainy days, and it would still require a manual plug/unplug until the Tesla HomeSnake is ready.

One thing that kinda irks me is why does the "Summons" get to have sub 12 inches for it's parking, but for humans it only goes down to 12?

In my garage it's tight in length, but not in width. So when I park it manually I have to guestimate past 12 because my garage door won't have enough clearance until 8inches or so. Without summons I drive in till I hit 12 and then I lurch forwards a bit more to get the required clearance. With summons it seems pretty consistent in going down to 8 (what I have it set for).

It's just not fair.

I don't have AP but I can immediately think of a use for Summon if I did. I have 3 year old twins. I've had a ton of situations where I don't have enough space to open the doors to get them in and with enough space for me to buckle them.

If I could get my car to pull back even 6 feet while I held their hands, I'd be stoked.

One thing that kinda irks me is why does the "Summons" get to have sub 12 inches for it's parking, but for humans it only goes down to 12?

In my garage it's tight in length, but not in width. So when I park it manually I have to guestimate past 12 because my garage door won't have enough clearance until 8inches or so. Without summons I drive in till I hit 12 and then I lurch forwards a bit more to get the required clearance. With summons it seems pretty consistent in going down to 8 (what I have it set for).

It's just not fair.

I wondered that too. Could it be that the very slow and *controlled* speed of Summon is the reason for the tighter tolerances? :speculation:

I have a standard 8 foot garage width... so the 7 foot wide Model S is a really tight fit. In fact, I scuffed the driver side bumper and fender a month or so after delivery and had to pay $1000 deductible for a $3500 repair! Also, living in California, 5-10% grade sloped driveways are common. This feature worked perfectly driving up the driveway and through the narrow portal, with the "narrow spaces" option checked. Coulda saved me $1000 bucks if the over-the-air update had arrived sooner!

BTW, did you guys know that you could sit in the driver's seat during the whole process, both in and out? I just get in and let the car do the pulling in and out with digital precision every time now.

So, I got the best answer to my own question this afternoon.

I was stuck in the snow (rwd), could not move the car. A guy tried to help me, but it was still not moving. No one else around, I got out of the car, and started pushing also, while summoning the car to back up.

And it worked !!!!!!

Thanks Elon

So, I got the best answer to my own question this afternoon.

I was stuck in the snow (rwd), could not move the car. A guy tried to help me, but it was still not moving. No one else around, I got out of the car, and started pushing also, while summoning the car to back up.

And it worked !!!!!!

Thanks Elon

That is awesome! Did you back out of the rut or go forward?