Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S windshield cracks almost every winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going on my 4th windshield on my S and am getting tired of replacing it. Always the same scenario...
1. It's winter
2. Park car for overnight parking
3. Preheat the car
4. Walk out to find a crack.

Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts?

I'm going on my 4th windshield on my S and am getting tired of replacing it. Always the same scenario...
1. It's winter
2. Park car for overnight parking
3. Preheat the car
4. Walk out to find a crack.

Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts?
I had to replace my windshield in the same situation. The car was sitting with no crack. I turned on the preheat in cold weather and an odd shaped crack appeared. The service center said claimed there was an impact so it was not covered under warranty. I tried to escalate but the manager never returned my inquiry. This seems like a defect and I hope I don't have to buy a windshield each year because of it.

I have had my car since January of 2015 and have not had to replace the windshield - I guess I am lucky. Is your car sitting outside or in a garage - mine is in an unheated garage so it doesn't get too cold.

Whenever you pre-heat in cold weather it turns on the defroster full blast. No problem in an ICE car because the engine heats up gradually. But in our Teslas, the defrost heat is almost instantaneous because of resistive electric heating. A cracked windshield could then happen. Tesla should program defrost function for a gradual rise in heat temperature.

Whenever you pre-heat in cold weather it turns on the defroster full blast. No problem in an ICE car because the engine heats up gradually. But in our Teslas, the defrost heat is almost instantaneous because of resistive electric heating. A cracked windshield could then happen. Tesla should program defrost function for a gradual rise in heat temperature.
Most Tesla's don't have resistive heating. Only older years had them.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Most Tesla's don't have resistive heating. Only older years had them.
OP has a 2018 Model S, so it had resistive. Yeah, if it's doing full blast defrost and the windshield is cold enough, I can easily see it cracking from the rapid expansion. Kind of like pouring hot water on a frozen windshield. I would presume Tesla would know to do a gradual ramp. Maybe a bad temperature sensor might cause this?

Last edited:
I had to replace my windshield in the same situation. The car was sitting with no crack. I turned on the preheat in cold weather and an odd shaped crack appeared. The service center said claimed there was an impact so it was not covered under warranty. I tried to escalate but the manager never returned my inquiry. This seems like a defect and I hope I don't have to buy a windshield each year because of it.
Touch the outside of the windshield, if it's smooth, obviously there was no impact. That is the typical test they do. If it's not smooth and there seems to be a crater at one point, than you are out of luck (perhaps only way to claim is if you can a parking camera with footage).

Do you have it such that it automatically goes straight to defrost mode? If so, turn it off. I can't remember if it was an option on the older ones, but I know that with the newer ones I would let it preheat for at least 20 before considering putting it on full defrost. That way the glass has a chance to warm up a bit before the full heat comes online. I never had that problem with my 2016 or 2017 S in Toronto.