Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summons concerns regarding Arrow 10x15x7 "car port"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my M3LR in 2018 and it's been parked outside in Texas since then, subject to birds and trees dropping crap on it, excessively intense sunlight and the occasional threat of baseball sized hail that required me to hunt for a neighbor's unused covered parking. I've tried multiple kinds of car covers and have not liked them for many reasons so I finally bought an Arrow 10x15x17 "carport" to house it. Having had no use for Summon up till now, I've got a couple of questions about it I'm hoping to get some help with here. I want to use Summon if possible because it will give more options about where I can place the carport and because once backing out of a neighbors carport I caught my right rearview mirror on a pillar and I never want to do that again.

First, if I understand correctly, if I want Summons to park my car under the carport when I come home, is it true that I would have to Summon it out of where it's usually parked in order for it to know where to go back to? And, when I get home from a drive, do I have to stop the car pretty close to where Summon "left" it when it backed it out?

Second, unlike a garage where there might be a lot of stuff around for Summon to see, when entering and leaving the carport Summon will only have 4 2" by 2" black vertical poles marking the "sides" of the carport and I'm concerned it might not be able to see them. Thoughts about that welcome. Any suggestions about how I might mark, paint, decorate, or otherwise modify them to make them more visible.

Finally, I know I can Summon it back into the car port by holding down the direction arrow but how about placing something in front of it so it stops automatically?

I bought my M3LR in 2018 and it's been parked outside in Texas since then, subject to birds and trees dropping crap on it, excessively intense sunlight and the occasional threat of baseball sized hail that required me to hunt for a neighbor's unused covered parking. I've tried multiple kinds of car covers and have not liked them for many reasons so I finally bought an Arrow 10x15x17 "carport" to house it. Having had no use for Summon up till now, I've got a couple of questions about it I'm hoping to get some help with here. I want to use Summon if possible because it will give more options about where I can place the carport and because once backing out of a neighbors carport I caught my right rearview mirror on a pillar and I never want to do that again.

First, if I understand correctly, if I want Summons to park my car under the carport when I come home, is it true that I would have to Summon it out of where it's usually parked in order for it to know where to go back to? And, when I get home from a drive, do I have to stop the car pretty close to where Summon "left" it when it backed it out?

Second, unlike a garage where there might be a lot of stuff around for Summon to see, when entering and leaving the carport Summon will only have 4 2" by 2" black vertical poles marking the "sides" of the carport and I'm concerned it might not be able to see them. Thoughts about that welcome. Any suggestions about how I might mark, paint, decorate, or otherwise modify them to make them more visible.

Finally, I know I can Summon it back into the car port by holding down the direction arrow but how about placing something in front of it so it stops automatically?
No link? No pictures?

I'm not even sure what you're talking about

Upvote 0

Summon does not remember where you usually park. It doesn't work that way. You must line up the car so it can move in a straight line into the parking space. Have you read the user manual?

Whether summon will see the shelter supports is something that you will need to carefully test. If the supports are not reliably seen, you may need to box them in or attach a wide board to them that the car can easily detect.

Upvote 0
I have read the user manual and tried summon several times in my drive way. It was ambiguity I saw in those "test drives" that led me to ask my question and the fact that I have no garage at this point to test it with to see what happens. So it was unclear to me wether it varies its path left or right to "fit" into the garage midway between obstacles are went in a straight line until it gets to close to something. In one test, the car turned its wheels sharply to the left just as it stopped and I have no clear idea why. Your suggestion re wide boards is in line with ideas I've considered but I hoping someone might have had experience more along the lines of horizontal striping on the supports or wrapping them with reflective tape, etc.

Upvote 0
I have read the user manual and tried summon several times in my drive way. It was ambiguity I saw in those "test drives" that led me to ask my question and the fact that I have no garage at this point to test it with to see what happens. So it was unclear to me wether it varies its path left or right to "fit" into the garage midway between obstacles are went in a straight line until it gets to close to something. In one test, the car turned its wheels sharply to the left just as it stopped and I have no clear idea why. Your suggestion re wide boards is in line with ideas I've considered but I hoping someone might have had experience more along the lines of horizontal striping on the supports or wrapping them with reflective tape, etc.
Reflective tape will not help since there are no illuminators on the repeater cameras. It might help if the base color of the tape makes it more visible, but it won't gain the benefits of the reflective elements.

My point about reading the manual is to dispel the notion that the car remembers where you park the car. It will remember where you engaged the summon and will attempt to return there if you use summon when you pull the car out of the parking space. But, it does not recall where you put the car into the space.

As I recall from the few times I have used Summon, the car would make minor steering adjustments to avoid hitting something on either side. But, as with any autmated function, you must pay careful attention each time you use it.

Upvote 0